Game-Labs Forum

Legal Usage Of An Alt Account

NethrosDefectus

Question

@admin @Ink

We are all aware that due to limitations in your contractual agreements with Steam that you cannot prevent the use of alt accounts in game but there are some uses of an alt that you will not allow. Recent events have proven that this has become a grey area that has led to a lot of confusion and ill feeling between players. I know attempts over the last few years have been made to establish some "dos" and "do nots" regarding alts but they are either very vague or have changed over time.

So I am asking for an updated and definitive set of rules regarding what an alt account is NOT allowed to be used for under any circumstances. 

Thanks

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

@admin @Ink

We are all aware that due to limitations in your contractual agreements with Steam that you cannot prevent the use of alt accounts in game but there are some uses of an alt that you will not allow. Recent events have proven that this has become a grey area that has led to a lot of confusion and ill feeling between players. I know attempts over the last few years have been made to establish some "dos" and "do nots" regarding alts but they are either very vague or have changed over time.

So I am asking for an updated and definitive set of rules regarding what an alt account is NOT allowed to be used for under any circumstances. 

Thanks

Rules need to be updated and clarified in detail. Meanwhile we can use this simple guidelines. 

Player is governed by steam eula/steam rules, which allow him access to the game if he bought it. Not likely this will be changed by Valve (Gaben). 
At the same time - Steam EULA and steam conduct rules also prohibit players from the following

• Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
  • Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.

As a result - EULA could theoretically be applied to alts who actively interfere troll or harass you in your nation's chat (Chat ban) and interfere with the ability to use the game (blocking, green on green) - account wipes or restrictions. This happens very rarely and in 99% of cases alts are silent spies or even if they admit that they are alts they do not break steam rules and game rules (because spying, talking to the enemy, reporting his positions and plans and economic wars is an integral part of warfare and is allowed). There of course could be grey areas - that need to be handled in case by case basis.

Because steam eula overrides any other eula on steam games (at least to our opinion), We cannot cover for grey areas as its steam responsibility.

But we can cover for clear cases.  For example - if someone consistently harasses your nation as an alt, tries to recruit in your national chat to another nation, stalks your players or your nation (while being known to be an alt) - this (if reported to tribunal with proof) will cause immediate chat ban and maybe additional action. If that person interferes with your plans in battle (while carrying your flag!) by means of green on green, blocking - this is also not allowed (even by steam rules) and he might get demoted or  restricted in other ways. 

steam rules of conduct 
https://store.steampowered.com/online_conduct/

• Like 5

The pirate 'nation' in particular, is awash with ALTS.

They scream about enemies then rush to fight them, then leave you all alone when battle starts lol.

Most vets know them all, but it's not vets they are after, its new players.

I am sure the other nations have them to.

I don't have a problem with alt use in general but why would you sit outside a port guiding your main to attack noobs and lone ships etc.

Hunting for an hour and chancing on an enemy player is far more enthralling!

It's a feeling AH! ENEMY! WHO IS THIS!!

Rather than, there he is......plunderer in a Cerberus....6 PvP marks or whatever😒.

Sad.

@NethrosDefectus

“that you cannot prevent the use of alt accounts in game

This is the only part of your statement I disagree with. GamesLabs should actively encourage ALT accounts, this is by far the best revenue stream from a player who’s already purchased the game.

The rules I’ve actively asked to be updated at launch.  

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=917654264

Most of the time it is Bad Player behavior rather than bad ALT behavior that is the problem. Game Mechanics is the primary issue to look at and this should be and probably is looked at. Marks PvP or otherwise encourage bad behavior and are not necessary for the games success.

Norfolk.

lol -1 who's the idiot...?

Edited by Norfolk nChance