Game-Labs Forum

"Go to bed" log off

Semi joking but NA is LONG and if you get engaged you cant get out of fights and with enw reps fights can take ages too....

Now logging off can obviously be abused as a tactic, but some people NEED to go to bed after a fight and cannot then just then re-engage the next round of combat from a friend or after having escaped from an encounter etc. Having to go to bed doesnt mean I want to throw away my ship!

Perhaps a "go to bed logout" that can be used in an instance after battle is over or while invisible after having escaped a battle, that will allow a safe logout BUT NOT ALLOW relogging in for 8 hours?

Just an idea?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, VonVolks said:

..logging off can obviously be abused as a tactic..

Not "can".. that will be abused to escape dangerous situations every time it is possible. We had that Battle Screen discussion so often before and i am happy to see it erased from the game.

You wanna add a time penalty for relogging. Thats good but not enough in my opinion. As a hunter I would "log off to bed" as soon as i have any valuable goods aboard. The same for every trader. So that would kill the gameplay to plunder and rob. That would kill the risk to transport goods at OW.

I was in the same situation sometimes. After a big and long battle late in the evening i wanted to logout but enemies prepared a trap outside and wanna continue batteling. Because I decided to sail out I needed to accept that situation. Dont have a solution for this, but "After Battle Screen" already failed long time ago in this game.

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 2

Its negatives are to big.

Just for example I could log out after ganking some seals at MT thus avoiding the revenge fleet sent out to get me incurring a 8 hour cool down to log on. Then I could boot up my alt and carry on my evenings play doing trading etc and not giving a flying. Then the next day I could log on and sail my main away happily.

The ideas cute and idealistic but realistically its never going to work and it just gives people more reason to use alts.

• Like 1

Just now, Capt Jubal Early said:

thus avoiding the revenge fleet

isnt that a good thing though? I mean, if you're in battle in the reinforcment zones, the ones attacked dont even have to wait for the "revenge fleet"; the revenge fleet can just join the battle as it is open all the time

IMO the reinforcment zones are a decent indicator of the range where backup / "revenge fleets" are acceptable.

Anything further away, clearly too far away from islands, should NOT get backup in terms of revenge fleets. You see what you get, thus the 3 minute join timer outside reinforcment zones which simulates that you cannot just warp across the map and join a battle (instance and OW speed differences)

But I begin to feel like im the only one left with that thinking :D

*Must... Take.. Revenge....*

• Like 1

Honnestly no idea Liq I avoid capitals as much as I can and the term "revenge fleet" seem applicable :P Point still stands though you could use that free safe log off to essentially ride into hell kill some mother truckers then disappear into thin air thus removing the all to important need to plan your exfill.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Still better than getting tagged over and over for hours imo

if you really have to go to bed surrender...

Problem Solved !

Every mechanism will be abused that give you the oppertunity to not getting tagged again

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Great solution

yea it is...

if you sail to an enemy capital an kill some guys there, why you should get the possibillity to log off without your enemy have the oppertunity for renvenge...

I mean you can force f.e. a trader to fight, why should the revenge fleet not been able to force you also to a fight...

It could not been possible that you can go offline while your enemys are around you...

PS: I mean... i dont go hunting if i dont have time to fight.. and this time to fight includes the way home...

Edited by the Kidd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, the Kidd said:

yea it is...

if you sail to an enemy capital an kill some guys there, why you should get the possibillity to log off without your enemy have the oppertunity for renvenge...

I mean you can force f.e. a trader to fight, why should the revenge fleet not been able to force you also to a fight...

It could not been possible that you can go offline while your enemys are around you...

Last trip to puert espana we had to fight 3 separate fleets the Eu guys even changed shifts with the French night crew it lasted 4 hours , so you have a choice surrender your 1st rate or continue “if” we had the repairs it could of gone on quite easily for another 2 hours.

Ya don’t catch many traders fighting that long.

1. I understand this will be abused. hence idea of log on timer. I think it should be alt proofed if possible too? eg IP linked? Or maybe even longer to make you really sure you want to use it...?

This isn't from hunting.. for example I was attacked in home water, and spend nearly an hour trying to get away / fight. IF I got out then I would just get tagged again.

If I join a solo fight before bed..great! But if it then develops into a huge fight with people joining, it can develop into an hour long encounter.

As I say it's "semi serious" but anything to help players play, based on "most players" not just super hardcore killer gankers who want to exploit mechanisms. NA IS LONG. Anything which can help players "enjoy" the long (its stopped me from bed time MANY times!) is good.

Sorry no way... how would you feel if you waiting for idk (hours?!)

And then the enemy log of directly in front of you ???

Sry Guys... if you sail somewhere you have to check if you got time for that.... and if you sail to the ass of the world (puerto espana) btw frenchi hotspot....

For sure the fight takes serveral hours... you could expect that! They will fight at least you are dead.

PS: i dont say the fight against a trader took so long, but the way home -> the renvenge fleet that tooks time...

Edited by the Kidd

29 minutes ago, the Kidd said:

PS: I mean... i dont go hunting if i dont have time to fight.. and this time to fight includes the way home...

Thats exactly the problem. How much time is needed to go hunting? 2 hours? 3, 4 ,5 oder more? By that logic you dont even need to start unless you have a day off and nothing to do.

I had a "fight" (gank) against French, which initially started close to Fort Royale. It is like 10 minutes sailing away from a Swedish port and lasted 6 hours...

I mean I know that battle screen has also a lot of issues and griefing potential. But if you look at the opening post logging out in battle screen would mean you cant log in for 8 hours anymore which solves a lot of the previous problems.

No battle screen is a good reason to not do PvP.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 1

Battlescreen is so much more demotivating then this solution we got now...

You dont need to know how long it takes exactly... but if youre not sure that you can go home in time then dont take a ship that you dont want to loose.

I also dont jump in a patrolzone battle with my crazyest motherfkn ship if i cant afford to lose it....

Every decision has consequences... if i sail to a hotspot Puerto for example... far away from home... for sure i dont know when i can go back but thats life... take your time for every decision... and if you cant afford to lose your ship at such a action dont go there...

Edited by the Kidd
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, rediii said:

thing is that this attack was planned to go for so long. Very far away from any outposts right into the heart of france. That was not unexpected

Numbers were expected yes, 4 hours worth no, if it was expected we wouldn’t, t have ran out of repairs.

18 minutes ago, the Kidd said:

Sorry no way... how would you feel if you waiting for idk (hours?!)

And then the enemy log of directly in front of you ???

Sry Guys... if you sail somewhere you have to check if you got time for that.... and if you sail to the ass of the world (puerto espana) btw frenchi hotspot....

For sure the fight takes serveral hours... you could expect that! They will fight at least you are dead.

PS: i dont say the fight against a trader took so long, but the way home -> the renvenge fleet that tooks time...

So next time il plan for 6 hours right? That’s totally normal, almost a second job I have time for.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, the Kidd said:

Because in most cases they wouldn’t even know you‘re there and thus wouldn’t sail to the spot of the battle!

But, yeah ... having the possibility to log off after a battle would surely and sadly lead to exploits 😕

Maybe it would be a bit more fair to remove all exact coordinates, so that nobody - and foremost no revenge fleet - could be sure where a closed battle takes place!?

IF a Battle Result Screen returns there must be a bigger penalty than the thread owner suggested. To prevent logoff only for make your goods safe, all goods aboard should be lost.

That would be a "Throw everything aboard!"-command to make ship as fast as possible. Maybe that could be a compromise?! Goods into water, Reps into water, Cannons, Guns and powder into water, Extra Planing into water, useless men, women and childs into water, ..

By this way, the trader and the hunter and everyone thinks twice before using such a "Safe My Ass"-Button

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 2

I have to say that logging out really is a problem in-game, I went out for a quick hunt a couple of weeks back - after three hours of fighting and defeating my enemy three times I was forced to surrender my ship to them. They kept coming in fir/fir ships and there was nothing I could do - they wanted me dead. It was the same players over and over again And I wasn’t even rewarded due to the “tag of shame”.

I think a logout post battle should be possible because when a battle is over, then it is over. Some players refuse to accept this and decides to throw away vessels in revenge fleets forcing you to surrender due to time constraints. I have always been against open OW battles and the idea that people could sail from one end of the carribbean to support. In reality it could be weeks before the “enemy” heard of the loss of the ship you took.

the MAJOR problem with logout in battle is that it can be used to logout post AI battles and escape a hunter that way... Perhaps limit the logout to PvP instances would solve this - but I am sure it will be abused to get away anyways.

Another major problem is that it is hard to accept the loss of your ship, yesterday I killed three players and realised that not even three PvP kills was enough to replace the vessel I was using. I feel there is very little corrolation between the efforts you put into PvP and the reward given. I think this is what keeps new players from PvPing since they need to invest too much time into PvP compared to what they’d get from just PVEing. I have often used the frigate available at AI price in most stores just to confirm myself in thinking that it’s possible to PvP in cheap unupgraded ships - it totally is! But what good is that for a new player who just got his Aggy after many hours of playing and wanting to use it?

What about a post-battle logout that destroys everything on your ship incl. upgrades? Kind of like what @Sven Silberbart suggests?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Couldn't you have just logged out in the battle after he came the 2nd time?

It was the same three guys in Fir/Fir Endymions, when one died he would get a new fir/fir ship and wait outside the battle for me - the battle was within three minutes sail from their outpost giving all three players the ability to get into the next battle.

logging out in battle is not going to save my ship. It’s a pain in the ass having to surrender to people on their 4th attempt because I have to go to bed (I had plenty of repairs, they kept bringing me more).

Killing the same guys three times should be enough to allow me to retreat and logout. 

EDIT: Ignore Dibbler’s question - he misread me - I’ll leave the explanation here though :)

Edited by Percival Merewether
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sven Silberbart said:

IF a Battle Result Screen returns there must be a bigger penalty than the thread owner suggested. To prevent logoff only for make your goods safe, all goods aboard should be lost.

That would be a "Throw everything aboard!"-command to make ship as fast as possible. Maybe that could be a compromise?! Goods into water, Reps into water, Cannons, Guns and powder into water, Extra Planing into water, useless men, women and childs into water, ..

By this way, the trader and the hunter and everyone thinks twice before using such a "Safe My Ass"-Button

Thats a good idea. I mean it should be a literally "last resort" because you want to go to bed but dont want to sink and lose everything. Losing everything except the ship would be OK with me.... (plus the log off - cant log back in block)