Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 24: Properly depowering your staysails

8 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Can you explain why it was better? Tell me please. Mast mods are so game breaking and battle deciding that it ruins alot of the game. The one tool we had to see if we were doing damage is gone now

Ill explain 

If you don't know if you penetrated the mast, it takes time to realize that target is fitted for masts which gives all sorts of options for the target to react
If you know if you penetrated the mast you demast in 30-60 seconds. 

This sort of thing is not good for variability of combat. Becomes too easy to make a decision to switch to hull. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Can you explain why it was better? Tell me please. Mast mods are so game breaking and battle deciding that it ruins alot of the game. The one tool we had to see if we were doing damage is gone now.... We have 0 visual proof if we pen masts or not. If there is a mod that makes battles one sided its a broken mod and anyone can tell you that. The simple fix would be to improve hp only with mast mods and not thickness but what do I know about dismasting right..... 

I also think increasing mast thickness again by a bit for every ship would help. Especially for smaller ships. Make mast mods just increase HP as Hachi suggested. Make demasting harder in general I would say and at the same time decrease chain  dmg. Less sails makes battles less fun for everyone involved.

Just now, admin said:

Ill explain 

If you don't know if you penetrated the mast, it takes time to realize that target is fitted for masts which gives all sorts of options for the target to react

This sort of thing is not good for variability of combat. 

but...  you could argue exactly the same with hull damage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

Worst part is they probably too proud to admit this was a mistake and will be kept that way.

Why its the worst part? It's he best part. 
Showing mast penetration WAS A MISTAKE. we reverted it back when we realized it and thought it through.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Incorrect. On 1st rates its like 3 min and on suprises its 5 secs max. Ever do a 1v1 with suprises, 32 carros and no mast mods? Heheh try it... By the time you know he has mast mods its gg on 4th rates and above because as I have said. Big ships masts are to strong and small ships masts are stupid.... 

The target does not need time to react because he knows he cannot be demasted. He is invincible at this point :) 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 1

Just now, admin said:

Why its the worst part? Showing mast penetration WAS A MISTAKE. we reverted it back when we realized it and thought it through.

Maybe the better fix would be to show Mast HP to the receiving side and pen to the shooting side. Rather than reverting back to the old system.

Now less experienced players wont know about getting close to demast and using bigger calibres ;) 

4 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

but...  you could argue exactly the same with hull damage.

You could still tell by seeing they are loosing HP on the Map or side bars on the UI. I would very much like to at least know myself how much HP my masts have left

Edited by Mr Pellew

Showing mast penetration WAS A MISTAKE. we reverted it back when we realized it and thought it through.

I don't mind the change. it made no sense the attacker knows what pen and defender does not while all he would have to do is look up.

on the other end 3rd-1st rate mast thickness shouldn't be higher than 4th rate. only more hp.

Edited by RKY

1 minute ago, admin said:

Still we have port taxes that are killing RvR for many (small/medium clans, casual playerbase). Taxes that are a pain to deal with due to the grind it takes to pay for them.

That WAS A MISTAKE, and it is still on the game.

Good move. I would even like to see that for hull. I mean you see if ship loses hp or not so why show pens at all. Just show its a hit

12 minutes ago, rediii said:

its worse now again

It's not worse - it's less predictable. Less predictable gives more variability. Experience will still let you realize it faster than later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Still we have port taxes that are killing RvR for many (small/medium clans, casual playerbase). Taxes that are a pain to deal with due to the grind it takes to pay for them.

That WAS A MISTAKE, and it is still on the game.

that is your point of view. i like the tax system, and actually think it should be increased further as time dependent. the longer a timer is set the more it cost.

Just now, admin said:

It's not worse - it's less predictable. Less predictable gives more variability. Experience will still let you realize it faster than later. 

people in demast and final exam will not understand again that they dont penetrate the mast and ragequit after getting 100 masthits without a falling mast.

Maybe include into the tutorial that masts have thickness and you even get a masthit if you dont pen and therefore do no damage?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, admin said:

Here is the deal. Show me 1 screenshot of 2 pro players dueling and the winner has no mast mods :) It is a battle deciding mod and not a tool....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rediii said:

people in demast and final exam will not understand again that they dont penetrate the mast and ragequit after getting 100 masthits without a falling mast.

Maybe include into the tutorial that masts have thickness and you even get a masthit if you dont pen and therefore do no damage?

demasting tutorial should make clear in order to demast better be close. telling to use unlocked 250m isnt enough

• Like 1

Just now, RKY said:

that is your point of view. i like the tax system, and actually think it should be increased further as time dependent. the longer a timer is set the more it cost.

Yes, my point of view after seeing how rvr is going lately, after seeing the decrease of number of players online and pb. How many empty pbs have we had lately? A lot.

A point of view based on facts, not in "I like the tax system".

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

Here is the deal. Show me 1 screenshot of 2 pro players dueling and the winner has no mast mods :) It is a battle deciding mod and not a tool....

duel is different to ow. It has other rules. In a duel you know your enemy will stay.

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

Its a tip problem not the demasting problem. we just have to rewrite the tips better 

also there will be a pdf guide too in the future explaining concepts to players (some of it will be based on feedback from players like you and @Havelock and many others).

• Like 2

I think the worst thing about the mast hits only counting if they penetrated was the fact that the person sniping the mast knew they were getting hits while the person the the receiving end gets no notification till the mast goes down. I lost a mast on a Victory to very few hits from a Bellona and I had not even realised he was trying to snipe my masts. If penetration hits were going to stay in then the person on the receiving end should get some notification and be able to have some counter before the mast goes down. If your hull is getting destroyed you see it and can try and protect that side or use repair, but for masts they just go down which can very quickly change the battle even if you could repair.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

duel is different to ow. It has other rules. In a duel you know your enemy will stay.

No why would the loosing ship stay lol? A 1v1 is no different than a 10v10. How do you think I just joined the brit nation and commanded port battles with a 90% win ratio? I never commanded before... I just learned from 1v1s

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

How do you think I just joined the brit nation and commanded port battles with a 90% win ratio?

Its because you sailed with LV before :lol:

Just now, Jon Snow lets go said:

Its because you sailed with LV before :lol:

Ill be honest for once. The only thing I learned from LV is how not to do it :) 

This is on of those things that hurts newer players. They could think they are hurting the enemies mast, but the experienced player can feel safe knowing they can’t, while he goes for their hull. 

I don’t understand switching this back, the uncertainty doesn’t really benefit anyone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, admin said:

You thought it through, we tested it in practice. 

• Like 1