Game-Labs Forum

F11 Coordinates removal

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Please provide detailed example of what tools.

Note: map + protractor/computer ruler + dead reckoning are used today by air and sea navigators.

Perhaps an ellipse on the map showing the range of possible positions?  This would account for sextants, clocks , stars,  currents, etc.  It could even go away when the weather is foul.  Given the period that ellipse might be quite large.

Right now trader tool can be used as a form of loran.  Which is silly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marcus Corvus said:

Perhaps an ellipse on the map showing the range of possible positions?  This would account for sextants, clocks , stars,  currents, etc.  It could even go away when the weather is foul.  Given the period that ellipse might be quite large.

Right now trader tool can be used as a form of loran.  Which is silly.

I always did well with LORAN (except in red lighting).  If we were to use the real life example of the 18th century, they took noon sights every day that they could see the sun and got themselves a decent position out of that.  Dead reckoning otherwise with no correction for tidal/wind set.

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Note: map + protractor/computer ruler + dead reckoning are used today by air and sea navigators.

Landmarks on the map, or the ability to make notes on the map (for instance whether the port is to the left or the right of that big mountain.) and just more tools for the map in general. I've been asking for map tools like in silent hunter since I started playing this game

Approximate position once a day in good weather (noon) would also be historical.

• Like 2

Not needed, since you can sail around and learn the map and the landmarks.  Compass and protractor are more than enough.  I've never needed one, and never been lost, even after falling asleep while sailing and waking up with nothing but sea around me (and with many extra fish, lol).

If it's immersion you seek, ok - but it's not needed for sailing, just a luxury.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

The protractor is fine to set a course from an ascertained point like a harbour or  a landmark. But sometimes one likes to sail, let's say, from George Town to Campeche or from Island Harbour to Harbour Island out of sight of land and as far away from ports and local traffic as possible. Historically, it was possible then, it would be grat if it were possible within the game, too. For that you have to change course in certain points at sea without the help of a landmark. Right now there seems to be no other way of position finding other than F11 (which is somewhat magical) or some kind of crude cross bearing with the help of the trader tool (some kind of magic as well). I had the hope that the clock would be some means of navigation but, well..., it doesn't seem so.

I suppose, we could do with some kind of dead reckoning. A logging tool which gets started when the captain requests it that logs courses and distances with sufficient inaccuracy to be historically adequate. Could be part of the map. Some thing like: "Captain, from our starting point we sailed 115k to NW, turned due W then for another 110k. Since 45k we're heading due N now, Sir!" Or simply a table stating courses and distances from the start. This, of course, could as well be in nautical miles or any other measure. Headings could be given sufficiently inaccurate as well.

I'm very well aware that this is no top priority item :)

Aye Suppen. In truth we already have a compass, a chart, a protractor and a stopwatch in game. :) 

Hence, by honing naviation skills ( we all have to do it, there's no way around it ) one can, after a while tell with a fair degree of certainty where one is.

This being said I, personally, would actually like two things.

1. Ability to put marks on map, so you make marks for future use. Hence making your own routes.

2. Clan map. So members can name places, coves, inlets, river mouths, etc.

• Like 1

This is a topic dear to me.  Navigating is a huge part of the enjoyment of Naval Action for me.

With the lazer accuracy of the ship heading, lack of; currents, wind drift or variation in winds, it is very easy to set a course and arrive when and where we like.

There are many very good maps now to assist with creating a course plan.  As a trader I often sail out into open water and then stay far away from the shore an ports to avoid hunters.  I have to keep track of the time so I know where I am based on my speed.  It is very satisfying when I the towers of port are sighted off the bow, exactly where expected, after an hour of sailing.  

NA Map is very handy for lots of things, and provides some simple navigation.
The Travel Map  can be used to plot a course with multiple legs,  and can be used to determine very accurate timings.
The Burning Sail  is really handy for quick rough calculations for single legs.
Or you can download Shouded Recluse's Map  or The Naval Action Game Map and use a easy editor like SnagIt to plot and measure your own course.
There are more very good maps.

I don't think that drawing on, or marking up the map is needed.  There are lots of 3rd party maps that work very well and for detailed plans I use a drawing program.  It works very well and allows the Devs to work on other concerns.

I would love to have a compass ingame that I could use to take a sighting.  A time piece would be nice, but I can use a watch.  A chip log to measure speed  would be cool but because the speed of ships are dependent only on the wind direction, and ship's performance, it also is unnecessary.  A pendant, even a static one, would be helpful to show the wind direction.  With these items it would be wonderful to sail without the user interface and  immerse oneself in the experience of sailing.  Only the compass and pendant are really needed.   The other items would just be nice.  All of them must be on a toggle, so they could be turned off when not in use.

The F11 Co-ords, are very useful after fleeing from a hunter, and becoming disoriented.  I like to be able to check the ship's position in some circumstances.   A sextant would be nice, or a pilot who could provide the Co-ords.  There is lots of room for creativity and added interest.  The sextant could be a book, or upgrade, or just an item in the shop.  Perhaps it could be crafted and sold.  There could be various levels of quality sextants.  Weather could affect its accuracy.  The speed of the ship could influence the sextant, or the pilot, forcing captains to reduce sail to get a decent reading.

VfuizL2.jpg

NqEhAvy.png

Edited by Macjimm
added Map Calcs

11 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Imagine a place being named a thousand times over. I'd say functionality being the best reason.

Not necessarily. It would mean a thousand individual maps. :) I imagine there are nerds who like to name things on the map if they are real or not. I, for instance, know a place called "where I lost my trader lynx to the guy with the green face".

Seriously, we could do markings on the map about our personal danger zones or memos about trading routes, entries from the combatnews and what else...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Tools we don't have in the game:

• Chronometer
  • Realistic stars/moon/sun (as an example, a game like Rust has 100% realistic sky composition with all constellations and accuracy according to map position)
  • Quadrant
  • Map charting tools + sharing with other players

Bowditch%20on%20solving%20Lunar%20Distan

Aaaarghhhh....We had a sextant fitted into our periscopes back in the day.  Got rid of them as soon as we got LORAN/SATNAV.  Too much like work!!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, Macjimm said:

This is a topic dear to me.  Navigating is a huge part of the enjoyment of Naval Action for me.

With the lazer accuracy of the ship heading, lack of; currents, wind drift or variation in winds, it is very easy to set a course and arrive when and where we like.

There are many very good maps now to assist with creating a course plan.  As a trader I often sail out into open water and then stay far away from the shore an ports to avoid hunters.  I have to keep track of the time so I know where I am based on my speed.  It is very satisfying when I the towers of port are sighted off the bow, exactly where expected, after an hour of sailing.  

NA Map is very handy for lots of things, and provides some simple navigation.
The Travel Map  can be used to plot a course with multiple legs,  and can be used to determine very accurate timings.
The Burning Sail  is really handy for quick rough calculations for single legs.
Or you can download Shouded Recluse's Map  or The Naval Action Game Map and use a easy editor like SnagIt to plot and measure your own course.
There are more very good maps.

I don't think that drawing on, or marking up the map is needed.  There are lots of 3rd party maps that work very well and for detailed plans I use a drawing program.  It works very well and allows the Devs to work on other concerns.

I would love to have a compass ingame that I could use to take a sighting.  A time piece would be nice, but I can use a watch.  A chip log to measure speed  would be cool but because the speed of ships are dependent only on the wind direction, and ship's performance, it also is unnecessary.  A pendant, even a static one, would be helpful to show the wind direction.  With these items it would be wonderful to sail without the user interface and  immerse oneself in the experience of sailing.  Only the compass and pendant are really needed.   The other items would just be nice.  All of them must be on a toggle, so they could be turned off when not in use.

The F11 Co-ords, are very useful after fleeing from a hunter, and becoming disoriented.  I like to be able to check the ship's position in some circumstances.   A sextant would be nice, or a pilot who could provide the Co-ords.  There is lots of room for creativity and added interest.  The sextant could be a book, or upgrade, or just an item in the shop.  Perhaps it could be crafted and sold.  There could be various levels of quality sextants.  Weather could affect its accuracy.  The speed of the ship could influence the sextant, or the pilot, forcing captains to reduce sail to get a decent reading.

VfuizL2.jpg

NqEhAvy.png

I'd enjoy more detailed navigation because I can do it, and clearly so can you.  Most people in this game would HATE this kind of Nav.  The trader tool allows us a rudimentary 3 point fix right now that I use successfully.  Actual landmarks is about as far as I would suggest we go for visual navigation and open sea nav could be an automated Noon Sights.  What you're suggesting is almost an entirely different game (a niche within a niche)

11 minutes ago, rediii said:

Like gubbelgubbel, whale island, fish island, turtle island, grand anus and nipples?

If you say so.

You can chronometer distance with the ingame timer.

Don't need stars for navigation.

Map, compass, protractor, clock. Perfect.

• Like 1

Get the sextant in, for each minute up to 5 minutes your accuray will be shown on your map, it will draw a ring for example;

1 Min. Create circle on map which is accurate to 50 kilometer

2 min. New circle withing the older circle accurate to 20 kilometer

etc etc to the 5th minute make a dot inside the last circle making it accurate to 1-2 kilometer.

The sextants were accurate to a mile if you were good at using it properly so it would be accurate and realistic.

Also the map wouldnt be so lifeless aswell. Maybe you could even make notes on the map :) who knows?