Game-Labs Forum

More places like Kidd's Island...

I love the idea of the hidden pirate island and would like to see more of it but in smaller size. Credit to  @Banished Privateer and many others before him who suggested this and I would like to bring it to general attention again. These hidden mini treasure islands would be a great place to start raids from and should have limited dock aswell as warehouse space. Those hideouts could also be on islands and coasts already in game but hidden from sight in some bay, so only people who have been there or know about it can tell where it is... There could also be a black market for smugglers and more.

v1HoMT.jpg

Here are small islands that are already in game but there is nothing to be discovered and it would make ideal spots for those hidden mini ports.

coICEV.jpg

@admin This would give more content and life to the beautiful OW, driving more captains out to discover.

BiEvZOcCYAANPfO.jpg

94721d96f76b46ec6de29c805d9e711e.jpg

65d865_63dd2727bc3b45dcaef40345e7b5f907.

image1.jpg

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 16

Great idea. 

They should not be so close to the port, as in the examples of Santa Ana or Puerto Real. It would not be very realistic and also easily blocked. I like the examples of virgin Islands, Santo Domingo, they are relatively close to commercial routes but they have many more exits and they can not be blocked. These coves or hidden bays should be used only by pirates and would introduce a new category of players in the Naval Action: the corsair clans with exclusive features: ships prepared for PVP (they would be bought in the boat shop with different configurations) in exchange for paying a percentage of the catches to your nation, pay the Corsican patent to the nation to which it belongs, exclusive missions of Corsican PVE for these clans, with high rewards in gold for the PVP boats and many more. It would be another way to make PVP, to have if so people encourage more. Greetings!!

• Like 1

All Pirates must hang! Or at least send them all to the Pacific ^^

But I must admit the idea is neat. Would me do thinking about going Pirate.

I've always said remove Pirates from RVR, give them some hidden ports across the map that nobody else can see or access, remove the ability to sail Ships of the Line, add some unique game play and done. High risk, but also high rewards. Pirates should be unique both in gameplay and appearance, not just a nation with a romanticized flag.

• Like 13

I agree and i would like to add that some towns we have on the map atm were in fact nothing but smugling harbours or pirate coves like Barataria and probably a lot more..  And were certainly not refered as Ports on historical map.

Those those could also be hidden on the map.

A specificity for those harbours could be that when they are first sailed there someone have to pay to makeit appear. And when lost, the new owner can choose to destroy it and everything in it is destroyed or looted.

Make players with outposts in it able to craft smuggling or pirate goods. The ports buy commercial goods at good prices, This kind of stuff.

• Like 2

Great idea. Secret hideouts - but definitely of temporary character. Give to players the possibility to establish such a hideout by themselves, by investing x number of oak, stone and maybe reuse 'war supplies' for exactly this purpose - founding temporary mini bases which stay off the map until someone else discovers it. Should it be possible to attack a discovered hideout, in a sort of few low draft ship port battle? I think yes. But the defender, if he gets news he is being discovered, may simply pack together his things and abandon the place before the attack comes.

Funny events that would bring, and unpredictability.

For friendly visitors the hideout owner may offer trade opportunities, setting his stuff in a shop for prices he is asking. Not automatic prices as in official ports.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

once the port becomes known ..they pretty much become like any other port ... maybe ports appear only these litle islands just for a couple of weeks then dissapear .. and  another unknown port appears elsewhere on the map

There are still people with hundreds of hours in the game that don't know the location of the secret island. Hell the only reason I picked up on it was because it was discussed on Nation chat when I first started the game. I've never seen it come up since.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

once the port becomes known ..they pretty much become like any other port ... maybe ports appear only these litle islands just for a couple of weeks then dissapear .. and  another unknown port appears elsewhere on the map

Ports should only appear on the map if you are playing a pirate. Nations (clans) could send out dedicated scouts (players) who are into exploring. Once a port gets discovered Pirates need to start evacutaing, resettling into another part of the map. Every day more and more players will know the location of the pirate hideout and if not evacuated (assets moved out) after X amount of days the hideout/port will automatically abandoned (similar to port maintenance for National ports) and become unusable for X amount of weeks and disappear from the map again until it can be resettled and Nations have to start exploring again to find out if the hideout has been populated again.

• Like 2

or instead of making the outposts visible on the map, you could add notes on the map and draw on the map itself.

Could also be that the information on that map would be dropped in some kind of captains logbook which can be looted from captains chest or something

1 hour ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

There are still people with hundreds of hours in the game that don't know the location of the secret island. Hell the only reason I picked up on it was because it was discussed on Nation chat when I first started the game. I've never seen it come up since.

Yeah, the ports could be temporary but permanent would also be fine as long as there are enough. Not having them on the map makes them hidden / secret enough imo...

2 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Great idea. Secret hideouts - but definitely of temporary character. Give to players the possibility to establish such a hideout by themselves, by investing x number of oak, stone and maybe reuse 'war supplies' for exactly this purpose - founding temporary mini bases which stay off the map until someone else discovers it. Should it be possible to attack a discovered hideout, in a sort of few low draft ship port battle? I think yes. But the defender, if he gets news he is being discovered, may simply pack together his things and abandon the place before the attack comes.

Funny events that would bring, and unpredictability.

For friendly visitors the hideout owner may offer trade opportunities, setting his stuff in a shop for prices he is asking. Not automatic prices as in official ports.

I like this idea for the non permanent hidden port / hideout varient. You can build them in certain places for rescources that have to be transported there ( like shipyard and workshop ) but they can be raided and destroyed by enemies. Some sort of mini RvR with no need for timers but instead you have to hide your ports... this would definitely bring more life and PvP to the OW.

A nice idea that @admin should see.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Yeah, the ports could be temporary but permanent would also be fine as long as there are enough. Not having them on the map makes them hidden / secret enough imo...

I like this idea for the non permanent hidden port / hideout varient. You can build them in certain places for rescources that have to be transported there ( like shipyard and workshop ) but they can be raided and destroyed by enemies. Some sort of mini RvR with no need for timers but instead you have to hide your ports... this would definitely bring more life and PvP to the OW.

A nice idea that @admin should see.

Great idea!

@admin

I don’t know if it is feasible in terms of coding, but it definitely would make the OW more interesting:

Temporary outposts could be set up by captains which equipped thier ships with building materials and vanish after one or two days without anybody using them / ships docked there.

Edited by Navalus Magnus

Upon foundation of a secret hideout, the place will not be as visible as one of the established towns/ports. You would have to go very close to the shore to make discoveries of this kind: a single hut, a few barrels standing on the beach, the opening of a cave in cliffs... these are your only visual clues.

The owner will have the option to give maps to his trusted partners, friends, traders, clan buddies which show a marking, where they can find his hideout. Otherweise a hideout is - well - hidden of course, and hard to detect by chance. The owner can decide how 'public' this place is going to be, if he wants to see traders there or nobody. Those secret maps could even become an item for trading; "hey you know where you can get those super-rare copper ingots for a reasonable price? I have a buddy, who sells them illegally somewhere. What's this information worth to you, mate? What you give me, for me telling you the place, eh?" Oh well, and there will be traitors who give such map to the authorities of a nation, who may send a fleet for destruction of that criminal hideout.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, CaptainSparckles said:

They are no more hiddenif you tell us about them .

Then do not tell anyone or sell the information. There could be maps that show the location of a hideout as item to be traded etc. ... As others have mentioned already, there are still players not aware of the location of Kidd's Island, despite it being there for a long time but simply not visible on the map. And even if some hideouts become well known, they will simply make for a small PvP hotspot... It is a win-win either way, I guess?

I'd love for.more hidden islands and coves around the map. I'd love to have a couple hidden islands in the gulf or inbetween hispanoula and south america.

Tons of area on the map to add exciting options and additions to the game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

to OP
Yeah hidden islands, pirate dens, hideouts is what pirates need. One thing to note, on your example pics you are showing islands surrounded by shallow waters. The dens needs to be deep water if you hunt in deep water areas. 

Example. I'm a pirate and come to deep water area to hunt for some larger fish it will make no sense for me to bring shallow water ships. I would want to be in at least 5th rate to hunt an India right? So I would make my den somewhere where my 5th rate can have access to. So if devs will create those hideouts they needs to be relevant to the hunted territory. 

Otherwise kudos to you sir

• Like 2