Game-Labs Forum

Less running engagements. More chances to bring a enemy to battle.

That's what the changes have made.

Ganks aside, as ganks will always prevail in whatever mechanics if the tag is right.

Carebears also make use of the chain to battle the NPCs, whether you like it or not.

Stop wearing blinkers please and be respectful, always.

17 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Less running engagements

This is not true at all. Downwind kitting will never change because it is the natural response of someone that cannot dictate the battle. Personally I think that the kitting is the same. The main reason running is less now compared to before is that the tag circle is smaller and the timer lower. Someone that is in a fir fir gank ship will aways get away so the patch has not effected that. Maybe you could give a more detailed description of why you think chain is OK. 

28 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Stop wearing blinkers please and be respectful, always

Like what? What part of my statements are incorrect?

Chain is good as it is now because...

• A tag matters - a good tag grants a fight
  • Aggressive gameplay is rewarded a lot
  • battles got shorter (thats good because now its actual fighting and less running/kiting)
  • predictive gameplay gets rewarded (equal for attacker and defender)
  • use of chain is now a tactical decision
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

What part of my statements are incorrect?

All the parts that are disrespectful.

33 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Maybe you could give a more detailed description of why you think chain is OK. 

I'm forced to rethink when i get shocked - to hell with caution, let's slug it out - there's only 1 way out of this. Same with the enemy, i can dictate - no more running, let's play it out. We are here to fight heroically. No more my style or his style 

In a gank, same as ever. Ganks never change.

20 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Chain is good as it is now because...

• A tag matters - a good tag grants a fight
  • Aggressive gameplay is rewarded a lot
  • battles got shorter (thats good because now its actual fighting and less running/kiting)
  • predictive gameplay gets rewarded (equal for attacker and defender)
  • use of chain is now a tactical decision

Good tag always granted a fight. Chains could always rig shock at close range. The 2min repair timer changed that. You can't just pop a rep and run anymore. 

When did agressive gameplay not get rewarded? Also, there is a difference between agressive and stupidity. 

Battles are just as long since people avoid chain ranges when possible. Ganking is faster to be fair. 

I don't get what you mean by predictive game play. 

Why is chain more tactical now? Pounding sails with chasers more tactical? Rig shocking people with chasers more tactical? Downwind 4 chaser kiting with surprise more tactical?  Its limited but those 4 broadsides do more dps than 10 in the old system.  Explain why it's more tactical and don't tell me a broadside of chain matters more now than before. It doesn't. 

13 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

All the parts that are disrespectful.

I'm forced to rethink when i get shocked - to hell with caution, let's slug it out - there's only 1 way out of this. Same with the enemy, i can dictate - no more running, let's play it out. We are here to fight heroically. No more my style or his style 

In a gank, same as ever. Ganks never change.

You could always get shocks with chain on equal ships. If you didn't,  you didn't chain good enough. Chain is more forgiving than ever now because if half your broadside misses you still get rig shock.  Duel me later and show me how tactical chain is please. 

I'm afraid not, and will respectfully decline. I concede. You win the duel by default. Congratulations.

On topic...

Chain could actually even do less damage ( by 1/3 ) beyond 250m, increased by the same amount up to 150m, and spread be increased by 10% per each 50m.

21 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Why is chain more tactical now? Pounding sails with chasers more tactical? Rig shocking people with chasers more tactical? Downwind 4 chaser kiting with surprise more tactical?  Its limited but those 4 broadsides do more dps than 10 in the old system.  Explain why it's more tactical and don't tell me a broadside of chain matters more now than before. It doesn't. 

getting shot by chasers implies that one person is running that happens when the chased person did not think ahead "predictive gameplay" = no counter tag, was afk sailing, etc

Either decide to fight or run before the battle starts.

Hachi not the "one" broadside matters. The time when its used 😉 and you only have 4 of them

Edited by z4ys

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You win the duel by default

But why? I don't seem to comprehend the tactical effectiveness of chainshot now. If you and @z4ys think chains make battles so tactical and great you clearly know how to take advantage of its effectiveness. I don't care about ganking. I say it all the time. You and your clan use small ships and like the old gank yourself so I see why you like the changes to be fair. 

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

getting shot by chasers implies that one person is running that happens when the chased person did not think ahead "predictive gameplay" = no counter tag, was afk sailing, etc

Either decide to fight or run before the battle starts.

Hachi not the "one" broadside matters. The time when its used 😉 and you only have 4 of them

And the Timing didn't matter in the past? Timing matters more because you did less dps. There are such things as stern chasers and I have had the pleasure of loosing a battle I was winning by 2 ships chaining me to 60% sails in 4 min with stern chasers only. 

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

But why? I don't seem to comprehend the tactical effectiveness of chainshot now. If you and @z4ys think chains make battles so tactical and great you clearly know how to take advantage of its effectiveness. I don't care about ganking. I say it all the time. You and your clan use small ships and like the old gank yourself so I see why you like the changes to be fair. 

small ships suffer even more of the limitation of chain against much bigger ones. Even good rakes of 6pd chain do almost nothing to a bellona or santi. Before the change it was no problem to chain down a  vic. Try that now. Why does chain benefit us? The opposit is the truth.

To be "pro my art of gameplay" i should say "pls devs give me unlimited chain" but actually limited chain made the game better.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

I end most battle with chain to spare. No more spam chain from a distance. *shrugs*

If it needs an adjustment it is not, IMO, damage over distance.

1 minute ago, Capt Jubal Early said:

I think its good where it is. Dynamics changed a lot in "fair" fights. It's good.

You forgot your rule one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

Problem is that the combat system is the most important part of naval action. Nobody buys this game to craft. It's all about the battles being enjoyable. Who cares about chain being broken? 90% of the carebear community? I don't think so. 90% of the server group gank and personally I believe they don't have the experience to judge mechanics. You know the reason people like super tank ships and multiple reps? Because it's easier to farm ai fleets. I'm 100% sure of this. A combat system needs to be designed around player vs player 1 on 1. From there it balances itself out. I take players like Havelock, rediii, moscalb like, Liq and dron judgement very serious because they are very good duelists and solo hunt. Who else has the right to judge? A noob that carebears and ganks? Gankers won't complain about chain because unlike them I will critique something I benefit from. 

And that's why I love you.

Pace yourself, balancing ideals have shifted, rakers aren't dead for no reason.

14 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

...of loosing a battle...

I am sorry but i see where your frustration is coming from. But game changes and it is not about YOU not about ME it is about the common goal and overall it improved.

Edited by z4ys

I am waiting for the first player to ask for:

"I want a book that lets me have ..."

1. more chain.
  2. more chain dmg at distance
  3. and it has to be crafted out of 9 different books so averge joe wont have it
  • Like 4

I had back to game after 3 mounth of brake. From my point of view i realy like new chain mechanic.  If you know how to chain you can make it very effective. If you are noob you will **** and do nothing. Its fair mechanic and balanced according to real life where good chain shot should broke masts. Its point of view normal player that don`t cry if sink unless like some "PRO" .

• Like 2