Game-Labs Forum

could be to make repairs heavier to force limit or face slow sailing. that is not bad, but then as we already tanking out the ships, who will bother losing one more knots...

There are too many repairs, period.  Repair to crew?  Never happened.  Dead is dead.  Maybe after the battle youd get a few back.  Repair to sails/rigging?  Minimal.  Sails were no changed in battle, only afterwards and rigging could be spliced to a small extent.  Repair to structure?  Never happened to any noticeable degree during battle and masts/spars were never replaced until after.  Lets get properly hardcore here....Lets make Damage great again!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, z4ys said:

The distance of chainshot and how dmg drops is fine in my opinion. Close range its devastating. Long range chain griefing is gone. Currently agressive gameplay is way more rewarding as pre change. Being cautious will not lead to victory anymore.

Yeesssss!!!!

10 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

There are too many repairs, period.  Repair to crew?  Never happened.  Dead is dead.  Maybe after the battle youd get a few back.  Repair to sails/rigging?  Minimal.  Sails were no changed in battle, only afterwards and rigging could be spliced to a small extent.  Repair to structure?  Never happened to any noticeable degree during battle and masts/spars were never replaced until after.  Lets get properly hardcore here....Lets make Damage great again!

Too hardcore.

• Like 1

So the question here is simple: if you play alone and you are attacked by a group, why do they have more chain than you? That's not fair.

If the battle is 1 vs 1, no problem at all. Everything stays like it is right now.

But ( and this is a big but) if the battle is 2 vs 1, that 1 should have double amount of chain.

As things are now, this only encourages revenge fleets trying to kill damaged ships easily.  (won't give more info, but if you are in the reinforcement zone, you are fucked)

If you limit repairs, it will just make solo hunting imposible.

• Like 1

Just now, _Alucard_ said:

So the question here is simple: if you play alone and you are attacked by a group, why do they have more chain than you? That's not fair.

If the battle is 1 vs 1, no problem at all. Everything stays like it is right now.

But ( and this is a big but) if the battle is 2 vs 1, that 1 should have double amount of chain.

As things are now, this only encourages revenge fleets trying to kill damaged ships easily.  (won't give more info, but if you are in the reinforcement zone, you are fucked)

Hey if it's a gank it's a gank. Part of the OW. Outnumbering someone nearly never is fair. But that's not what a sandbox is supposed to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

Did you never solo hunt before one year ago? It was just as possible and being outgunned can be easier with limited repairs because ships do pull back for 30 min repair and come back to fight. A damaged ship will stay damaged like it should be. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Did you never solo hunt before one year ago? It was just as possible and being outgunned can be easier with limited repairs because ships do pull back for 30 min repair and come back to fight. A damaged ship will stay damaged like it should be. 

We ever tried norepair?

18 minutes ago, rediii said:

We ever tried norepair?

Kind of in NAL but we got very fast mast repair back :D

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

We ever tried norepair?

Hmm not that i know of but no repair would be too hardcore I think and battles would be over to fast. Personally I believe that sea trials repairs was best. 3 in total. Made it interesting. 

• Like 1

I LOVE IT !!! Keep going!!! But I think we need check the Repair stuff again :) if you full on repair stuff and have some good books its nearly impossible to finish a battle...

12 minutes ago, VO101_HWick said:

I do think it just needs a little tuning, maybe add 2 more minutes between repairs.

No because that's 2 more min of kiting 

5 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Make topmasts easier to knock down with ball, and chain (realistic)

No, just no

What I never understood was people complaining about losing when outnumbered.

90% of naval warfare consisted of trying to outmatch the enemy so you can outgun him and engage confident of victory.

Even Nelsons "genius tactic" of abandoning line actions was basically "hey lets all gang up on a few ships in the middle and gank them", and the reason was he was successful was that he invented Team Speak. Well OK, not quite, but you get me. 

Heroic one on one actions were lauded, but fleet actions (and indeed many solo engagements) we are all about "err, we'd prefer not to engage unless we can gank you thankx, bye"

I like the new chains, using them at the right time and the right angle/distance has a potential to change the outcome of a fight, even more so than the double/charged shots.

7 hours ago, VonVolks said:

What I never understood was people complaining about losing when outnumbered....

Really?

OK let's play chess, I'll take white pieces.  Winner takes the others' lunch money.  Don't complain when you lose.

Chessgame.jpg

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, VonVolks said:

U a frenchy ingame? 😜 

But seriously: real lifes and real money do make a little difference to some pixels.

I've only had a couple of PVP battles since patch. But ill hold my hands up now and say I like this change.

Still needs some serious tweaking. Damage drop off is to steep, sail reps still to effective. 

17 hours ago, VonVolks said:

90% of naval warfare consisted of trying to outmatch the enemy so you can outgun him and engage confident of victory.

Even Nelsons "genius tactic" of abandoning line actions was basically "hey lets all gang up on a few ships in the middle and gank them", and the reason was he was successful was that he invented Team Speak. Well OK, not quite, but you get me. 

Heroic one on one actions were lauded, but fleet actions (and indeed many solo engagements) we are all about "err, we'd prefer not to engage unless we can gank you thankx, bye"

Absolutely correct.  Military commanders should always use any advantage  to win a battle and massively outnumbering your opponent was the best.  No fun for the forces who get massacred though.....and this is a game.  Even the French are supposed to have fun...

I think this change is a step in the right direction. However, the damage drop off seems very unrealistic to me, since real life chain would do the same damage no matter what distance.

Maybe instead of a damage reduction, chain horizontal dispersion could be increased? This would achieve the same effect (less chain damage over greater distance) without being unrealistic. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:23 AM, Christendom said:

Repairs need to be limited and I think sail damage from round shot shot increased.  

On 4/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, Intrepido said:

I really dont know what to think, Im still unconfortable with so many repairs per battle.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:16 AM, Otto Kohl said:

You need to limit the amount of repairs or increase chain shot per gun. At this moment with unlimited repairs 2 chains per gun is just not enough. Damage on longer distance should be slightly increased too imho.

We said it before in the patch notes thread that limited chain shot would NEED a limit or nerf to repairs and here we are where....well we are still saying it.

Either repairs need a significantly longer cooldown or there needs to be a hardcap again in each battle.

Chain damage? seems pretty good, but unfortunately the extra damage is a moot point when your opponent can not only repair all that damage but then know you're out of chain and they're...you guessed it, able to repair again and easily flee from the battle. If your opponent chains back...well you can just also repair that damage and then it just comes down to whoever has the better speed mods and wood type (and don't even get me started on the mod/book balancing currently....oh boy).

so to say it again, Repairs must either have a cooldown nerf, or have a hard-cap limit. If you do that? This limited chain shot change is pretty much perfect.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 4

Not been playing lately but the few battles I had since patch seemed good. Angling yourself and thus exposing several layers of sails to a potential chain broadside can be devastating and put you into rigging shock, which I like.

• Like 2

The chain seems to work well - but the issue of repairs taking ships back to 100% still exists.  Limit the effectiveness of repairs.   Repairs in battle should never take a ship back to 100%.

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 1