Game-Labs Forum

we got so far

• Limit repairs(!)
  • Increase ball damage to sails
  • Increase chain range slightly
  • Make topmasts easier to knock down with ball, and chain (realistic)
  • Buff lower masts if necessary.
  • Return Cart to % based, same as the PVP mod and make them unstackable.

Anything else?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Please provide feedback and your experiences with the limited chain and increased damage. 

I think it's a bit too early for a final feedback yet, as I expect metas for chain usage will yet have to appear.

For now though, it's in a good place - in RvR and group PvP more thinking is required during fights, and as a result fights are more interesting. Chains are a good alternative to demasting now.

I'd think how chain change affects solo hunting, I didn't have enough chance to test it yet.

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

we got so far

• Limit repairs(!)
  • Increase ball damage to sails
  • Increase chain range slightly
  • Make topmasts easier to knock down with ball, and chain (realistic)
  • Buff lower masts if necessary.
  • Return Cart to % based, same as the PVP mod and make them unstackable.

Anything else?

basically give us back tools to easy gank people. now our fast tagging ships are useless and the heavy gank ships as well.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

I would say that multi repairs make long range engagements sill, as people can repair faster than you can damage.

I agree that Chain SHOULD be short range and devastating.

As for Cartagena being "the new META" etc WTF is that? I have never touched it, and the game and its rules should be about basic unbuffed ships, and buffs should add a touch of bonus, not make things invincibly tough / fast / blablabla

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wyy said:

@admin

Is it possible to make own hitboxes for the yards? maybe the chains would be able to rip those off.

Also i feel the chain damage suffers to much loss on damage over distance. If you have a piece of paper and throw a rock at it from 10 meter or 1 meter it would still rip holes in it, its not a solid material.

Lower damage from short range, increase from longer range, and limit repairs or make repairs heavier, or make the ships consume more repairs.

This is true, but you have to remember that ships weren't slowed down by making holes in the canvas (Yes, it did slow them down - but took ages). Chain was used for the destruction of the rigging - it would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to handle the rigging and trim your sails.

The in-game mechanic is a compromise between reality and what's possible/fun - personally I think it's a good compromise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Percival Merewether said:

This is true, but you have to remember that ships weren't slowed down by making holes in the canvas (Yes, it did slow them down - but took ages). Chain was used for the destruction of the rigging - it would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to handle the rigging and trim your sails.

The in-game mechanic is a compromise between reality and what's possible/fun - personally I think it's a good compromise.

No hitboxes on the yards, but increasing ball damage on sails to represent the damage that would be done to sparring and rigging is a fine balance.

Only one problem noticed - ships without chasers are at a serious disadvantage now when chasing/running considering the amount of sail damage chasers do.  Ships with a large number of chaser guns don't even have to turn and try and deliver a broadside, ex. wasa with 6 chasers that's massive sail damage without effort.

• Like 2

As you know I'm usually in a fast snow and the changes to chain are frankly infuriating when the enemy decides to leg it. There needs to either be a reversal or a limitation to repairs. Battles that a week or so ago would have taken 10 minutes (because the moment they try to run I can chain them down) are no dragged out over an hour as there isn't enough chain to stop them constantly repairing their sails (even when used excellently to cause maximum sail damage) and then running away again.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I really dont know what to think, Im still unconfortable with so many repairs per battle.

90/12 = 7.5 if you repair on the first minute

13 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

As you know I'm usually in a fast snow and the changes to chain are frankly infuriating when the enemy decides to leg it. There needs to either be a reversal or a limitation to repairs. Battles that a week or so ago would have taken 10 minutes (because the moment they try to run I can chain them down) are no dragged out over an hour as there isn't enough chain to stop them constantly repairing their sails (even when used excellently to cause maximum sail damage) and then running away again.

Guess the overall problem is that people try to fight bigger ships in smaller ships. They rely on chain in order to decrew and then board because otherwise they get outdps'ed. Is that really a problem?

Do we have the problem if equal sized ships engage each other? And by engage I mean engage and not staring at each other 500m+

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Guess the overall problem is that people defeat ships in smaller ships. They rely on chain in order to decrew and then board because otherwise they get outdps'ed. Is that really a problem?

Do we have the problem if equal sized ships engage each other?

Just edited for truth :)

1 minute ago, Dibbler said:

Just edited for truth :)

I looks like that just changed with the patch :D

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Guess the overall problem is that people try to fight bigger ships in smaller ships. They rely on chain in order to decrew and then board because otherwise they get outdps'ed. Is that really a problem?

Do we have the problem if equal sized ships engage each other?

I have to agree with you there, the small ships are unable to deal enough damage to the enemys hull to force a hull repair - they have to rely on chain and crew damage to beat their opponent. When in equal ships these problems are not present. Small ships still need to have their relavence though, and we need to make 3rd rates the go-to SotL, not the 1st rates.

It would be interesting if all ammunition was limited - Then give us a slider to chose the ball/chain ratio. if you take only ball you should have near unlimited ammo, if you take a mix  (50/50) then you need to be more careful.

• Like 2

Limiting the ability to cause damage without limiting the ability to repair damage is just wrong. 

3 hours ago, admin said:

Please provide feedback and your experiences with the limited chain and increased damage. 

More chain dmg at long range is needed. Follower are not able to stop running ships anymore.

2 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Limiting the ability to cause damage without limiting the ability to repair damage is just wrong. 

It is limited:

23 minutes ago, admin said:

But a chain/ball ratio slider would be nice

There are less annoying fir fir "runaway ships" so I like that.

Overall I like the changes, I think that limiting sail repairs or replacing sail reps with a slow background repair rate would be better. (1% every 30s or something while crew are on sails)

I'm not keen on the chain limiting tbh.

Came online and finished the tutorial and exam but not played much beyond that.

Edited by Dibbler

31 minutes ago, admin said:

I know. For my taste, it is too much.

More than 3-4, I feel it is wrong.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I know. For my taste, it is too much.

More than 3-4, I feel it is wrong.

What do you reckon is best? an increased repair cooldown timer to 20 min? (90/20 = 4.5 reps), or 3 reps with the current or lower cooldown? I'm unsure.

Edited by Percival Merewether

4 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

seems like a good place to me. 

Yah cause all you have to do is keep runing until they run out of chain shot and keep repairing sales.   Sails repairs need a limit and or longer timer.   From the fights i been in the guy being chase just needs to pop one or two sail repairs before the guys (and yes it's been several groups) runs out of chain and is no longer effective of taking down the sails unless they can get close enough to demast.

I would say give battle repairs a limit of 5 per battle, you have to pick which you use Hull/Rig out of those 5's but once you do it 5 times your no longer allowed to repair.  What is repair cool down 12 mins?  That is 60 mins of repairs for 90 min long battles.  So if some one is constantly spamming there repairs they will cap out at the one hour in the battle and can't repair any more.

The chain seems fine as is, but the issue is you tend to run out if some one just keeps spamming sail repairs.

The other thing is stern cannons need to have there super laser guided system remove.  It was an old out dated system put into place a long long time ago and should be remove.  Stern guns are no more accurate than Bow guns and it should be this way in game.  It's annoying one player can hold off 2-3 ships chasing him cause he hits sails every time while the chaser miss half the time cause of the accuracy difference between stern and bow guns. 

1 minute ago, Percival Merewether said:

What do you reckon is best? an increased repair cooldown timer to 20 min? (90/20 = 4.5 reps), or 3 reps with the current or lower cooldown? I'm unsure.

3 as a limit with the current cooldown, so you still have something between the previous system and the new system. Im more for small tweaks that big radical changes in combat mechanics at this stage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, z4ys said:

The distance of chainshot and how dmg drops is fine in my opinion. Close range its devastating. Long range chain griefing is gone. Currently agressive gameplay is way more rewarding as pre change. Being cautious will not lead to victory anymore.

My issue with chain isn't playing cautious at 700 meters away, it's trying to chase someone down and my chain not doing much damage meaning he gets out. I think the damage up close is appropriate buy maybe decrease the damage drop off in exchange for less accuracy?

You need to limit the amount of repairs or increase chain shot per gun. At this moment with unlimited repairs 2 chains per gun is just not enough. Damage on longer distance should be slightly increased too imho.

Edited by Otto Kohl
  • Like 2