Game-Labs Forum

Please provide feedback and your experiences with the limited chain and increased damage. 

Feels right for how chain would be more for than just sails, destroying rigging and yards which would affect the ability to handle said ship.

Can't really speak for the greater combat meta, pvp for me is few and far between.

Edited by Slim McSauce

There is not enough chain and its to strong at close range and too weak at long range. Imo against unlimited repairs it is just a pain in the ass. Let's please test 2 rig and 2 hull at least. Maybe even 3 reps in total and the captain chooses. 

• Like 6

It works very well in even fights - I like the fact that you need to think twice before you use your chain.

Especially 2v1s are much more enjoyable now - you're finally able to fight and retain your manouvreability. The one downside is if you're up against a gank fleet (1v5+), if they are within range of your sails with chain, then there's nothing you can do now with the increased damage and your limited supply of chain.

I'd consider lowering the dmg by 20%.

• Like 2

It makes fir-fir ships uselessly (especially small ships used as support for hunting fleets). But maybe this is intended.

29 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

There is not enough chain and its to strong at close range and too weak at long range. Imo against unlimited repairs it is just a pain in the ass. Let's please test 2 rig and 2 hull at least. Maybe even 3 reps in total and the captain chooses. 

it is probably worth increasing the distance after which the damage begins to drop significantly. from 500 meters to 700 meters

• Like 3

The distance of chainshot and how dmg drops is fine in my opinion. Close range its devastating. Long range chain griefing is gone. Currently agressive gameplay is way more rewarding as pre change. Being cautious will not lead to victory anymore.

• Like 5

I like the limited supply of chain, think you could even limit all ammunition(large quantities for ball but still so that in 1,5h you can run out). My only problem with chain is that it seems to be very scattered, for my liking I would have either the limit increased slightly or lower the dispersion slightly. Low quantity and "good" accuracy => skill shot for doing sail damage, low quantity and bad accuracy => luck if you do sail damage or not.

I think it would also be nice that if you board a ship you can transfer the chain from that ship to your own but then it should be a bit more like a consumable. IMO opion this is how it should be that you have to take also you shots in the hold not only your repairs but i guess that is an onther discussion.

I do like the new mechanic

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, z4ys said:

The distance of chainshot and how dmg drops is fine in my opinion. Close range its devastating. Long range chain griefing is gone. Currently agressive gameplay is way more rewarding as pre change. Being cautious will not lead to victory anymore.

What you consider cautious is what I consider being smart. Long range engagements used to be what made the combat great. 

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

What you consider cautious is what I consider being smart. Long range engagements used to be what made the combat great. 

Other raged and called it griefing. It was just smart because of unlimited chain supply.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

high risk/reward is what chain is. You can always sit back and ball from range and trim masts and hull off him that way. 
No it really doesn't work that way now and that's why a cap on repairs is needed.

I suggest 4-1 repair system. 4 being any choice between rig/hull, but no more than 4 total, and 1 crew replenishment per battle.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Other raged and called it griefing. It was just smart because of unlimited chain supply.

You sound just like the French when they complained we kited in a port battle because they don't understand what taking the wind is. I for example will always keep range if I'm downwind and will only ever come close once I have the wind on you. Otherwise I would be very stupid. Doesn't matter anyway because hardcore combat and tactics are dead anyway. If you prefer the whole Yolo no fucks given combat system that's good for you. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

You can always sit back and ball from range and trim masts and hull off him that way. 

I agree and it's also why the gap between longs and carros is no longer there. I was fighting an infatigable with my Hermione. At ranges that he could not hit me I couldn't pen with 12s. I can't chain because 4 broadsides is nothing against unlimited repairs. Hands were literally tied and I retreated with full hp ship because I had no options left. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

I agree and it's also why the gap between longs and carros is no longer there. I was fighting an infatigable with my Hermione. At ranges that he could not hit me I couldn't pen with 12s. I can't chain because 4 broadsides is nothing against unlimited repairs. Hands were literally tied and I retreated with full hp ship because I had no options left. 

The other day in the patrol zone I faces what must've been a LO/WO niagara in my medium cannon-loaded rattlesnake. I was unable to pen his hull at 100m at anything more than 15 degrees off parallel, even into his last 25% of planking.

Damage and thickness need a redux to match what the devs are trying to do here. Repair cap may not be enough, but I think the end result will be much better than the pvp we're all used to.

Edited by Slim McSauce

13 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

I agree and it's also why the gap between longs and carros is no longer there.

Why is it no longer there? whats happening?

15 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Are you aware that you tried to shoot at a razee line ship? Isnt that an expected result?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, admin said:

Why is it no longer there? whats happening?

Because Carthagena frigates are the meta, at long range its easy to angle and bounce shots. Chain is limited now to so that's not a big advantage since repairs are not. At long range anyone can angle his yards parallel to firing arch and avoid chain. This forces close quarter battles. I know i'm a pain in the ass admin but let's be honest. Multiple repairs make metas worse. I also think ships still bounce to much. Test 9 and 12s against teak wo Carthagena frigates and see. 

11 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Are you aware that you tried to shoot at a razee line ship? Isnt that an expected result?

I'm sorry. Is it not made if wood? 

Ive not been out in ow much this wknd but i know i have left a couple of battles due to not seeing a viable way to attack and kill my enemy with the limited chain staying in battle would have simply been a waste of my and there time. Due to repairs in hold vs amount of chain.

As someone who tries to solo pvp as in raid enemy waters and then escape when the enemy has a revenge fleet or a defence fleet i find the chain limit makes this harder not better just harder/more annoying..

I even left a battle with like 6 traders with a player in bellona as protection because i wouldn't have enough chain to select targets and pick them off one by one due to repairs etc...(also im not that good infact im trash)

Edited by Spitfire83

all I'm gotta say is repairs need to be followed up on. You won't be able to balance damage/ship health to a fine degree without settling the issues 10+ repairs in a battle produce.

@admin

Is it possible to make own hitboxes for the yards? maybe the chains would be able to rip those off.

Also i feel the chain damage suffers to much loss on damage over distance. If you have a piece of paper and throw a rock at it from 10 meter or 1 meter it would still rip holes in it, its not a solid material.

Lower damage from short range, increase from longer range, and limit repairs or make repairs heavier, or make the ships consume more repairs.

• Like 2