Game-Labs Forum
z4ys

Exams - How to pass - tips and tricks

Naval Action combat is dynamic. There's no fixed solutions. Each Captain has its own style and Exam can be passed in several ways. A sample of 5 veterans groups shown that Final Exam was passed using 5 different methods. By shooting hull and sinking both ships, by boarding both ships, by capturing NPC and sinking the second, another using demasting to cripple and then sink both ships. Everything works.

What works for one Captain might not be the best for another. Plus wind, waves, positioning, flow of battle, is different everytime we try.

Improvise, adapt and overcome

The following videos just give a brief overview how the exams can be completed successfully.

• Like 8

Demasting exam commented:

Demasting exam with no comments:

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Naval Action combat is dynamic. There's no fixed solutions. Each Captain has its own style

+1

• Like 2

I've done the Exams twice. Both time in different ways because the AI reacted differently. (Especially in boarding)

In the final exam, chaining one down and fighting the other is the best start tip I can give you. Fight one enemy at a time.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

I've done the Exams twice.

Me2. First time full berserk mode and sinking both one after the other. Second time rage boarded one and thereafter sunk two. Method 1 was slightly faster as replenishing crew after boarding takes quite a while (without graping before boarding ofc^^).

Edited by Joernson

4 hours ago, ZuLu oNe5432 said:

Real Captains shoot single shoots hull only in the final Exam;) yaaaargH!

real captains dont fail ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

I've done the Exams twice. Both time in different ways because the AI reacted differently. (Especially in boarding)

In the final exam, chaining one down and fighting the other is the best start tip I can give you. Fight one enemy at a time.

I did that and then the healthy one stayed behind the one with damages sails. That was a fail :D

I have finished everything except for the final exam, which still escapes me.

I found all of the tutorials up to the final exam extremely helpful, and really cemented a lot of concepts for me. I want to especially call out the endurance mission as a particularly good tutorial, honestly working at that tutorial over and over until I figured it out made me a better captain full stop.

However I feel like there are several pieces missing from the tutorials, tactics and angling. As the final exam is showing me over and over again, I just don't know what the right moves to make are, and I routinely put myself into an awful position even relative to a single opponent. A lesson on angling would likely be the simplest of these to introduce, rather than just having a tool tip have a tutorial where the player has their guns disabled, and someone shooting at them, and have them deflect a certain number of shots. Give some tips on how to tell how well angled you are relative to another ship.

As far as tactics go, cover how do you get to winward of someone, when you should cross behind them etc. Maybe there are some good resources here on this board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VendoViper said:

Give some tips on how to tell how well angled you are relative to another ship.

The angle depends on the thickness of your armor vs the penetration (type, size, and range) of their guns.  You can just look at whether their balls are bouncing off you or not.  (look for the splashes)

On 4/23/2018 at 4:14 PM, VendoViper said:

However I feel like there are several pieces missing from the tutorials, tactics and angling. As the final exam is showing me over and over again, I just don't know what the right moves to make are, and I routinely put myself into an awful position even relative to a single opponent. A lesson on angling would likely be the simplest of these to introduce, rather than just having a tool tip have a tutorial where the player has their guns disabled, and someone shooting at them, and have them deflect a certain number of shots. Give some tips on how to tell how well angled you are relative to another ship.

As far as tactics go, cover how do you get to winward of someone, when you should cross behind them etc. Maybe there are some good resources here on this board.

Agreed 100% it would be very helpful to a new player to at least be exposed to these two concepts (angling and positioning relative to the weather gauge) early on as they play a very big role in combat. Imo the tutorial is good as is but adding these two lessons would be the cherry on top of a very important addition.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 1