Game-Labs Forum

Dear Devs,

Since we now have to rely on manual Open World Ship Identification using the Telescope, some of us playing on 200ms pings or more have the worst time doing so. Its like trying to view a 1920s movie using Morse code...its practically unusable...the staggering image is ridiculous and cannot be used to identify any ship. Is there not a way in which you can stabilize the image so that the telescope is in sync with the latency differential. Could you please do your best to resolve this issue.

Many thanks

Sorry, but it's not ping related. I am running on 30ms ping, 60 fps, no packet loss and long range spyglass usage is always like a slideshow. It's probably because of the distance + ship speed, but I'm sure there must be a way to make it smooth. I guess spyglass should have a seperate render/engine process rather than pure zoom + wet layer. 

maybe get rid of spy glass all together, what purpose does it server on OW? you are already able to home out and spot a ship up close on the horizon. You should be able to

a. zoom out much farther from your ship on ow, the view even though farther than in battle is nauseating sometimes.

b. double click on a ship, and get a close view on it, you're already in range to see the ship. Just skip the spyglass if it's causing problems and save everyone's eyes B)

12 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Reduce OW speed problem solved^^

It won't solve the problem. We experience relative velocity in two dimensions:

3ddd312489c1755ab2aa2b61f6ee4c625ed89946

The big impact in NA is caused by distance of the ships and directions they are moving (opposite directions = greater relative velocity). Reducing speed would have to be at least 2x or 3x to probably even notice a difference. Such change would greatly impact the game. Easy solution without changing game mechanics and playability as I mentioned, seperate render process for spyglass instead of pure zoom of image. There could be even some ship "lock" on target to follow its movement with spyglass. Moving spyglass with mouse is often uncomfortable and difficult. 

It's like making a video clip 2x slower (aka slow motion), it will drop FPS 2x without any additional clip modifications. There are ways to improve it or avoid quality drop of course :)

We also face some OW issues with desyncs because of the world scale in OW and actual ship speeds compared to battle instance speeds and the problem is in relativity of simultaneity:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/RelativityOfSimultaneity/

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Sorry, but it's not ping related. I am running on 30ms ping, 60 fps, no packet loss and long range spyglass usage is always like a slideshow. It's probably because of the distance + ship speed, but I'm sure there must be a way to make it smooth. I guess spyglass should have a seperate render/engine process rather than pure zoom + wet layer. 

Well then the mechanic is clearly broken. Devs please fix it.

33 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

maybe get rid of spy glass all together, what purpose does it server on OW? you are already able to home out and spot a ship up close on the horizon.

The Spyglass is there and is historically appropriate. Far fewer players use the home key to identify ships than those using the Spyglass. Flying drones with cameras is hardly historically accurate. In my humble opinion if one was to be ditched...

2 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

The Spyglass is there and is historically appropriate. Far fewer players use the home key to identify ships than those using the Spyglass. Flying drones with cameras is hardly historically accurate. In my humble opinion if one was to be ditched...

OW isn't accurate. That's why a spy glass doesn't fit and if it can't be fixed should be for battles where it's useful.

Edited by Slim McSauce

FYI information free camera is much worse for indetifying ships, because it has limited range. Spyglass does the job much, much better. Free camera is a great tool for recording awesome videos and making great screenshots for albums, but additionally helpful tool for fleet commanders. 

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

FYI information free camera is much worse for indetifying ships, because it has limited range. Spyglass does the job much, much better. Free camera is a great tool for recording awesome videos and making great screenshots for albums, but additionally helpful tool for fleet commanders. 

What? free camera has the same range as spyglass, all ships disappear at a certain distance. You confuse what I said which wasn't to get rid of free camera, it's so if you double click a ship it you get an automatic up close view, until of course it disappears from view. Total war does it and it zooms you to things in your range so you can get a nice detailed view.

Also if I'm not mistaken you can't see cannon type on OW, which is like the only varying info you can gather from a ship. Making a hotkey for automatically homing into a ship in range would be a lot prettier and useful than looking through a scope for realism, which isn't really what the ow is about.

If identifying what ship someone is sailing is the only info being gathered from OW through sight, then a full camera travel is better than a camera zoom, while telescope makes more sense in battle where you need to see details like masts hull and cannons in a realistic manner.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

What? free camera has the same range as spyglass, all ships disappear at a certain distance.

LOL, are we playing different games? Visual range is one thing, but it's optical zoom given by spyglass that helps indentify a ship.

2 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

LOL, are we playing different games? Visual range is one thing, but it's optical zoom given by spyglass that helps indentify a ship.

You've completely missed my point, I won't explain it any further.

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

You've completely missed my point, I won't explain it any further.

You've completely missed my point by saying that free camera and spyglass has same range. I was referring to "flying range" of free camera. 

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

You've completely missed my point by saying that free camera and spyglass has same range. I was referring to "flying range" of free camera. 

And again, I told you it has nothing to do with the home camera. If you've played total war you know you can double click an enemy unit, and the camera will travel to it, giving you the perfect view. That makes for better identifying than a scope when you can already spot by detaching your camera and manually hovering 10kms away to the enemy vessel.

Also for getting the best angles for videos and battle commanders clicking the ship you want to view would be smoother and faster than the jenky home camera.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Whatever you say, I beg to differ and yes, I played total war games and I know mechanic you're reffering to. I wouldn't call it free camera to begin with... because it's locked on target.

>Locked

>Free

Choose one.

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Whatever you say, I beg to differ and yes, I played total war games and I know mechanic you're reffering to. I wouldn't call it free camera to begin with... because it's locked on target.

>Locked

>Free

Choose one.

I would say you get my point now but I'm not so sure. Either way just fix the damn spyglass 

Edited by Slim McSauce

1 hour ago, Bartholomew.E.Dogg said:

I would say that the limitations of the spyglass are consistent with trying to use a hand held telescope on a moving deck

Having used binoculars at sea and spent many hours looking through a periscope, I have to say that I was impressed with the spyglass in OW.  it's difficulty to use and lack of perfect detail with distance adds a nice touch of realism for me.  

• Like 3

in the spyglass we need a steady picture at a far distance

that's the problem, it moves too fast(the ship at a distance )

perhaps a key:hold spyglass at target is needed..

2 hours ago, Thonys said:

in the spyglass we need a steady picture at a far distance

that's the problem, it moves too fast(the ship at a distance )

perhaps a key:hold spyglass at target is needed..

I kinda disagree with that, I like the way it works now.  Also when you magnify something, then small movements should produce large changes in viewport (no laser tracking I mean to say).

Edited by Jean Ribault

8 hours ago, Bartholomew.E.Dogg said:

I would say that the limitations of the spyglass are consistent with trying to use a hand held telescope on a moving deck

I would have to agree. 

But the mechanic might need some concessions for computer monitors.  Having used binos on small boats (rather a LOT of deck motion) what you are missing at the PC is the spatial awareness that allows you to bring the optics up on target quickly so you are looking directly at the the object now instead of scanning around trying to find it in the field of view.

No opinion on what these concessions ought to be, however.  When I did MS CFS 2 (which dates me) the game gave you a dot display in the corner of the screen that told you where to look with the cockpit views.  Something like that would be silly here but it's an example of the kind of adjustment that needs to be made for the lack of peripheral vision and cognitive sense regarding where an object actually is.

Edited by Marcus Corvus