Game-Labs Forum

Next big patches: Real currency and Open world user interface update

What happens if a captain attacked by a 5 ship  group and  sink two of them

- then die, will he then receive nothing in return ?

- Then escape, get catched again and loose due to boarding, he get nothing at all  from both fights ?

Same for the revenge group issues, you win a fair 1vs1, when getting out, your opponent clan have tp'ed and lock the sector. You win nothing from both fights ?  

That don't seems to encourage ow hunting at all.

I like the idea that money is a material asset, adds realism and is more simulative. I hope all the rewards in marks will be eliminated and everything is returned to money. Clearly, to do this it requires a better economy than now. Trading resources to craft ships must be the center of the economy, and, I know someone will hate me, but  3rds, 2nds, 1rsts must be more exclusive and therefore more expensive. In a sandbox game there is no real meta, but it is not fair that in a month of play you can get a first rank, this can lead to a premature end of the interest in the game. Instead, crossing a first rank at sea should lead to say "whow"! The admiralty should provide some ships almost for free, so to don t make too much  loss in losing them for the new players.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, admin said:

indeed
thats a main concern - that despite being fun in the short term it will be a heavy burden long term - reducing your desire to go into deep raiding. 

In order to actually work in the economy, physical coins would need to be paired with the use of cheques, obtainable for a fee in at a bank in an area capital and redeemable by the bearer at a bank in another capital, those locations likely to have the historical  levels of economic activity to to support them (although other locations might be possible.

AND/OR period-appropriate bank notes.

Which opens up entire realms of political and transport activity.  A new use for the Lynx.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MassimoSud said:

I like the idea that money is a material asset, adds realism and is more simulative. 

This is simply not true, simulative yes but realism no. At the scope and era this game takes place, merchant banks where the facilitators of nearly all trade and large estate transactions, something that is very well abstracted at the moment by the "magic" global wallet and taxes and fees to purchase items in the game. The merchant banks made most of their money from charges on the trasferes and exchanges needed to do deals. In the game the port controller that gets the taxes and fees from transactions are the merchant bankers of the game, they profit from facilitating the transfere of money between buyer and seller, and the buyer and seller obviously lose  some money for the safe transaction.

A game needs abstractions because it can't simulate all natural occuring events. In an RPG you get stamina or whatever when you eat because it is silly to simulate the whole digestion and regeneration of cells from the nutrients in the food. In the same way it is silly to have money be a physical asset in this game, because we simply don't have enough players(willing players), to simulate a whole banking system purly outside of the game rules, and without a merchant banking system trade on this scale is not feasible.

The reason we have such a globalised world(i.e. globalised trade) now is not because we can travell everywhere easily, but because money can do it safely. You don't get a large spanning network of working trade without a banking system.

EDIT: To add to this, if you want to add a simulation of the merchant banking system, make it so that AI transfere money once in a while between banking hotspots. If the port controller can't defend this they will lose some of the taxes and fees they get from their port. This will add a pirating target that could be a hotspot for PVP if you maybe have the rumors go out that it is on its way.

Edited by The Marinadtor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Palatinose said:

The best thing about revenge fleet is actually that they never want your ship. Just the marks. That's so cool 😎 share ten marks by five people.

that is the worst thing  i ecountered nearly lost my locean too this:

It was simple i had an chance too end battle in 2 min but other teamplayers ordered me not too board couse of marks it ended that battle got longer and enemy got reinforcements i was able to escape.

As for real money: im all in if combat marks and PvP marks can also be looted.

I think devs need too look into boarding in real life quite a few battles ended with boarding and ship capture. now only reason too board are ending battle fast or capturing the ship so reward needs too be implemented for boarding

Edited by Lovec1990

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

When revenge fleets went into a full retard frenzy mode, the vast majority of my friends and especially solo players quit the game. It was before they added invisibility and OW speed boost and it's the reason why they added it. All my statements are based on past experience and conclusions made in past from all mechanics we tested and experienced. I don't want 100% safety, but the fact that enemies can keep retagging me in OW battle after battle, but they cannot get me in the actual battle means something is wrong, right? If the enemies can't beat you or get you after 2-3 fights, why they can drag you into 5-6 battles one after the another?

The nature of revenge fleets is so fake and unnatural, enemies spread around the battle location creating a huge network around it. They know the exact battle position, they know where you will spawn in OW, they know when you will spawn.

But if it is based on past mechanic and not present, was it not better to talk of the present. 

You want longer ow speed based on the time you was in a battle, as a compensation for revenge fleet have the chance to position it self. But let me give another example. I sail at the sword, because it was on my route. So I am on the spot of the fight.  I am tagging you, But I am 1 sec late, and you join the other battle, witch just close before I can join it. There fore I dont get a speed buff, is that fair. As I understand I havent got an advantage in ow, But because of the game mechanic, I either will get the escape buff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I'm sorry, but that's the OW-battle instance mechanic fail that cannot be solved. You don't have to be near enemy ports for revenge fleet, that happens around free towns too. Literally having 1h you can sail 1/3 of the map for the revenge battle.

Thats litteraly the same thing as an enemy port scenario. If youre upset that you cant ambush without being ambushed that just means the reinforcements are doing their job. Tough. Thats the risk of hunting near ports, stop complaining and find somewhere else to hunt or bring a faster ship. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I don't get revenge ganked nowadays because I use only fast ships. Fast ships are cancer of this game called speed meta. Players don't like it, but WE ARE FORCED TO USE IT because of such scenarios. I use 14-15.5 knots ships, no one can ever catch me and I get easy kills, always have to run away from big revenge fleets and I'm fine. I do miss using real combat vessels like before the wipe we used tanky mahogany ships or teak. Even earlier some players used live oak ships for hunting, especially Russians liked that. 

So before people get to the point of complaining about ganking speed fleets and speed meta, think about revenge fleets. Both problems are cancer and they co-exist in this game together. 

so whats the problem then? you want to sail in with a first rate, sink a bunch 3rd rates in 1v1s and sail out? if you want a game with little consequence id suggest AC black flag. If you want to get into big combat get your buddies together and start a fight. Shouldnt have too much trouble if revenge fleets are as common as you say they are.

Edited by asuspiciousbear

Well whatvfight and what Wood you chise is up to your self. Take what make you feel best. But fir is not th only option. A guy like @DreamMaker visits Christiansted alone, yes sometimes  He get ganked. But he also wins alot of fights and I cant remember him be in s fir ship in any of the fighter had against him.

• Like 1

Real money carried around with you on your ship will lead only to veterans becoming richer and richer, and new players up to medium players becoming poor. Prepare for a new wave of rage posts after introduction.

While normally I am always for more realism, in this game world of larger sharks hunting all the time other fish and sucking them out, this realistic approach of valuables on bord I cannot support.

The current system of a remote bank sort of thing safely holding your assets, if you die or not, is actually a protection against impoverishment of the average player. Which would end, then.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

When revenge fleets went into a full retard frenzy mode, the vast majority of my friends and especially solo players quit the game. It was before they added invisibility and OW speed boost and it's the reason why they added it. All my statements are based on past experience and conclusions made in past from all mechanics we tested and experienced. I don't want 100% safety, but the fact that enemies can keep retagging me in OW battle after battle, but they cannot get me in the actual battle means something is wrong, right? If the enemies can't beat you or get you after 2-3 fights, why they can drag you into 5-6 battles one after the another?

The nature of revenge fleets is so fake and unnatural, enemies spread around the battle location creating a huge network around it. They know the exact battle position, they know where you will spawn in OW, they know when you will spawn.

But populations were higher and there were people to hunt.  Yes, it hurt a lot if you decided to gank in a busy,  defended area, but that is as it should be.  In those days there were no safe zones or even towers for that matter.  But ganking someone with friends right outside a capital port was a death sentence.   I stopped doing defense when it became a waste of time.

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I don't talk about the size of the ship, I talk about the HP/thickness and speed. To face revenge fleets we must use garbage fir/bermuda woods or teak ships fully modded for speed instead o fighting. Ships designed to hit and run. Ships designed for ganking, to fight 5v1, because they cannot sustain much of combat with a real vessel. Then we talk about the ganking issue in this game and speed meta.

So you want to take on heavy fleets with your fir ship and complain when you cant pentrate oak? you said it yourself its hit and run. Your not supposed to. If you want pound for pound, bring friends and hunt in heavy ships. 

13 hours ago, admin said:

indeed
thats a main concern - that despite being fun in the short term it will be a heavy burden long term - reducing your desire to go into deep raiding. 

Yes it may be a concern, but I would consider keeping raiding, and would probably choose a ship that could keep going.

The added risk might actually add to my game experience.

Edited by GreasyMnky
  • Like 1

Seal clubbers and gankers whinig for being counterganked outside capitals by revenge fleets does not deserve any comment. 

But ... let's just wait and see if, after reinfocement have been nerfed to almost a joke, the crying gankers will be allowed to farm easy marks even without the only actual factor of risk of loosing their ship (which are revenge fleets).

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

I always get surpriced every time i read post about changes. I migh ofc get it wrong, But often I am left with the impression, that we should do all to help PvP, motivate them, reward them, make change that makes it easier on them. But when it comes to casual players ore traders, they need to be limited in whst they want, pusished and forced. I realy don’t get it.

I do all aspect of the game, and if I end up limited to all aspect of the game, that works a acceptable level, and are left with PvP, I do think then the game will lose what I love with it today. 

I've been playing this game for around six months.

Let me try to give you my perspective.

The game looks to have a fixed player base which is hardcore and quite pvp-centric. Names which can easily be recognized in the global chat and became reference of great pvp players to the community.

The other part of the player base looks to be casual, with great rotation in the users. Like a pipe with some people coming in in one side, other people going out in the other side, and a good few people kind of lost in between.

The amount of players during the day at peak is around 600 players, never seen reaching 700, even in the weekends.

Removing the magic wallet looks a good idea to balance pvp outside the patrol zones, by adding risk to the attackers. I do support this change.

Right now the game can be fun for pvp and port battles, but no other roles are significant or viable, like trading. Ask yourself, how many traders do you know? Crafting has improved a little due to the random features one can get in the ships, but they are so hard to get and it's only in the ships, nothing else.

If the player base dies, the game dies, and keeping possibilities in terms of player role is key to keep the player base health IMHO.

Cheers Captains and good winds!

• Like 4

On 4/24/2018 at 5:27 AM, Sea Fox said:

Replacing marks and PVP marks with real historical currency is a good thing. BUT until there is currency available for everyone and not two sets of currencies (one common and one for clan effort) the economy and the game will not be fixed. 

Traders and Crafters need a pathway to the top.

Nothing new is happening just more reinforcement of the same. 

You have to be in a clan to make it to the top. 

Still no room for Solo or casual players.

I'm afraid the naval action rudder needs to be repaired because it is going in one big circle

Would prefer to be in a clan but I'm doing just fine as a solo non-alt merchant.  There are things I don't expect to do not being in a clan.  But quite a few things I will be able to do with a bit of patience.  I play a hardball econ game with a long view of where I want to go.

There are some fixes I would like to see, particularly making contract activity visible in the trader tool.  That is the single biggest fix that would normalize the economy.  But there are also ways to adjust to the game as it is.  Merchants don't get anything for escaping a battle instance with cargo intact -- except for intact cargo and ship.  So I buy marks in the capital markets.

Regarding casuals, depends on what you mean.   This game will never be accessible to an hour per week. Nor should it.

Edited by Marcus Corvus
clarification
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 11:55 PM, Slim McSauce said:

or mechanics. patrols you're encouraged to hang out and find fights with willing participants, often finding decent battles in moderate time

OW fights happen where people can find other pvpers, that's safezones so you get a lot of ganks with it. Going anywhere else doesn't offer you any incentive, you're missing out on potential targets.

Maybe you should leave the area around kpr alone? You sound frustrated that people being backed into their spawn are not venturing very far out. the nerf to safe zones is detremental to everyone involved. You might like it but the people who its supposed to protect have lost their only haven. Youre pushing players further and futher into a corner, so either they counter gank you and you get pissed, or they leave and you get pissed. either way you find a way to blame the devs as if youre a share holder and not a guinea pig.

9 hours ago, Jim Tiberius said:

I've been playing this game for around six months.

Let me try to give you my perspective.

The game looks to have a fixed player base which is hardcore and quite pvp-centric. Names which can easily be recognized in the global chat and became reference of great pvp players to the community.

The other part of the player base looks to be casual, with great rotation in the users. Like a pipe with some people coming in in one side, other people going out in the other side, and a good few people kind of lost in between.

The amount of players during the day at peak is around 600 players, never seen reaching 700, even in the weekends.

Removing the magic wallet looks a good idea to balance pvp outside the patrol zones, by adding risk to the attackers. I do support this change.

Right now the game can be fun for pvp and port battles, but no other roles are significant or viable, like trading. Ask yourself, how many traders do you know? Crafting has improved a little due to the random features one can get in the ships, but they are so hard to get and it's only in the ships, nothing else.

If the player base dies, the game dies, and keeping possibilities in terms of player role is key to keep the player base health IMHO.

Cheers Captains and good winds!

A belated welcome to the game Jim!

Your views and feedback are reasonable, sane and sensible. Alas, you are not the first to make the points you make, particularly regarding trading and crafting not feeling like valued careers.....nor about the shrinking player base. 

Sadly, the devs have made plain by their actions, over several years, the game is being optimised for clan based players (only) fighting port battles (mainly) with some PVP (either in support of a PB or conducted by a few 'ace' PVPers who do little else than that but have some influence with the devs). Solo (non clan) players, traders and crafters are (at best) tolerated but devs make no investment in those areas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

Sadly, the devs have made plain by their actions, over several years, the game is being optimised for clan based players (only) fighting port battles (mainly) with some PVP (either in support of a PB or conducted by a few 'ace' PVPers who do little else than that but have some influence with the devs). Solo (non clan) players, traders and crafters are (at best) tolerated but devs make no investment in those areas.

I wouldnt get on the devs back too hard, i know they are not a big team, and they can only work on one thing at a time, Unless they have outright said that and I missed it. It seems to me they are focusing on combat mechanics, polishing them. Remember this is just alpha and a big player base is not critical for the development of the game (would be nice). We are expendable in reality. its a beautiful game I dont think we will see the player base until it releases anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asuspiciousbear said:

Maybe you should leave the area around kpr alone? You sound frustrated that people being backed into their spawn are not venturing very far out. the nerf to safe zones is detremental to everyone involved. You might like it but the people who its supposed to protect have lost their only haven. Youre pushing players further and futher into a corner, so either they counter gank you and you get pissed, or they leave and you get pissed. either way you find a way to blame the devs as if youre a share holder and not a guinea pig.

Nah, I remember before safezones. It was the same thing. Safezones hardly do anything but give less game to play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, asuspiciousbear said:

I wouldnt get on the devs back too hard, i know they are not a big team, and they can only work on one thing at a time, Unless they have outright said that and I missed it. It seems to me they are focusing on combat mechanics, polishing them. Remember this is just alpha and a big player base is not critical for the development of the game (would be nice). We are expendable in reality. its a beautiful game I dont think we will see the player base until it releases anyway.

Context:

I speak from 3 long years experience since the end of the Sea Trials. I (and many others) have raised many times across the development life cycle the need for there to be 'content' for traders, crafters and non clan players just as much as for the PVPers and RVRers. Yet, here we are with young Jim T and others raising exactly the same concerns. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Banished Privateer said:

Being able to singlehanded run away from 10+ other players or even defeat them in battle is more unrealistic.

I find it funny how your friends quit due to that, have you ever thought about how many on the "other side" have quit due to people like you want a Hello Kitty ultra Carebear deluxe experience?