Game-Labs Forum
admin

Next big patches: Real currency and Open world user interface update

18 hours ago, admin said:

Open world UI update

Partial UI update will be added to game for testing mostly covering the open world functionality and the map 

Can't wait to see that.  Having particular landmarks showing on the map will be greatly appreciated. That's what I used when I was a young sailor and we were approaching the coast, it was also used to re-calibrate the estimated position of the ship (before the satellite navigation took over).

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

Can't wait to see that.  Having particular landmarks showing on the map will be greatly appreciated. That's what I used when I was a young sailor and we were approaching the coast, it was also used to re-calibrate the estimated position of the ship (before the satellite navigation took over).

Do we have any landmarks? What are you trying to show on the map?

Edited by Project Pluto

@admin, do you not have concerns regarding building a mint?  I'm thinking of real world issues where nations print too much money and develop massive inflation...Too real?

2 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

@admin, do you not have concerns regarding building a mint?  I'm thinking of real world issues where nations print too much money and develop massive inflation...Too real?

It depends (in the game) on the availability of resource that will be used to craft money and on the cost for crafting. 

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

I should have mentioned...this sounds really good!

58 minutes ago, Project Pluto said:

Do we have any landmarks? What are you trying to show on the map?

For now the main landmarks we have are hills and ports (but those ones all look the same if in the same nation).

But if the map shows the topography that will be an improvement from what we have now.

Anybody can tell where KPR is from a distance because of that hill.  If the Devs ever get a chance...easily recognisable landmarks, buildings, lighthouses, etc would be an amazing feature.  I know from real world experience that you start to recognize various features and buildings in a short time and it gives a feeling of security to know where you are precisely because of that little church on the hill...

• Like 1

We need a banking system. It could be national or maybe even clan based. If clan based, I could deposit money in the Bank of XYZ Clan and anywhere there was a branch of that bank I could withdraw funds. I like the "no more magic wallet" you should have to carry funds with you. 

Fair sailing, have to get back to work.

Will this money be real and tangible? Like a gold doubloons item? I think that could be interesting, if you want to buy something you must bring the gold with you, without instant money orders across the map. Could encourage pvp and make merchant raiding more interesting

Edited by Capt Aerobane

Remove the magic wallet...    ok now consider this...  you teleport to an outpost to put up a contract...  oh wait...     You tp to that freetown to meet up with a new player selling an upgrade..   oh wait...

I think the impact of removing the magic wallet will need a lot more thought...

Edited by SKurj
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Remove the magic wallet...    ok now consider this...  you teleport to an outpost to put up a contract...  oh wait...     You tp to that freetown to meet up with a new player selling an upgrade..   oh wait...

I think the impact of removing the magic wallet will need a lot more thought...

Yep ... I have the impression that the brand new "encourage PVP" great ideas that we read every day on this forum at the end will kill the game instead of more players.

But hey ... it's just a game. 

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, victor said:

Yep ... I have the impression that the brand new "encourage PVP" great ideas that we read every day on this forum at the end will kill the game instead of more players.

But hey ... it's just a game. 

This idea isn't brand new lmao I've been thinking this since day 1 of the first open world test.

anyways you are right it could be disasterous, it would have to be thought out carefully.

Edited by Capt Aerobane

On 4/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, admin said:

Current gold ingots and silver ingots will be removed from game and mines will be removed (and building costs compensated)

So Furnishings will be made differently ....

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, admin said:

Old legacy coins and ingots removal

• Current Gold Coins and Silver Coins will be removed from game (you can start dumping them or use for craft if you have huge stocks) and stocks left will be compensated at denominated prices
  • Current gold ingots and silver ingots will be removed from game and mines will be removed (and building costs compensated

But Silver and Gold remain in game? Or not? Only Coins and Ingots are going to be removed right?

While I think having folks carry money is a good thing, I'm not sure it will work if it has to happen for all transactions. There's a reason credit was created and used by this time. I'm not sure how credit could be implented in game. 

• Like 4

Not gonna lie, this sounds pretty sweet. This is gonna be big if it works. What a step, I feel like the game is finally coming to a near finish after all these years.
I hope devs plan ahead incase something goes wrong. Economy change in particular, while I do think this will be much better in the longer term, there's content to be put around this change to make it strong. This update will either spread people out more around the map or squeeze them in even tighter.

Although we can correlate strong economies to OW traffic, it may not be how we expect with people doing mass haulings of goods and materials to far away ports for economical reasons only. Really, how much money can you make selling ships not in the most populated areas where a large concentration of players are consuming them? No traffic, no pvp.

If I could suggest something here...expand on the patrol idea. Put objectives up and down every coast in a spatial manner, give them a reward for patrolling around these areas. I see you're already kind of doing this with the post-master and commander mission list for new players, it would be great if you created more ow pvp initiative and give something to fight for. Swarming and locking down ports is fun, don't get me wrong, but I wish there was more of a dispatch like mission an admiralty would give to it's captains for pvp.

It feels like I'm really missing out as an OW pvper when there's no guide to what I'm suppose to be doing. Of course being in a clan you always have the opportunity to craft, pve and do pbs with which gives something to do even when there is no pvp going on. 

But unless you have a clan to do PBs with, there is nothing gained or lost from ow pvp besides the prize from the ship. I know it's probably unrealistic to expect anything decisive over ow hunting like pbs, but there has to be some kind of value to going out and looking for pvp that's not 100% greed based. I want to fight other willing participants, not gank or get caught in a gank. It's boring. 

I want to have stand your ground type battles regularly on the OW, ones that reward me for putting my ship on the line for a good fight like patrol missions do, but not so stuck in one area of the map, and maybe show the influence a nation has on the map like loose borders or a heat map. This could be justified by battle reports over time which could be free knowledge to benefit from. 

This is just one thing that would help the spreading out of the economy and traffic on OW, paired with eco changes OW may be lively again even though population is lower than it use to be. Who knows if it will make the population grow, but it will definitely make current population easier to bear. Which overall is good for the game and everyone who plays. :)

What's the E.T.A of UI patch? week? month? Tell us!

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, admin said:

its very tempting. but we talked to several players we trust who craft A LOT and opinions are mixed.
but its indeed tempting. Rob a player - carry gold to port, no more magic wallet.

I'm for this. I trade and use four Indiamen and go long distances with them so this would effect me directly. Risky yes, but I'd like to try it out.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, admin said:

Featured clan list will be added to game and only top clans will be on the list based on pve or pvp or conquest or epic event achievements. 

Would be helpful if the clans have an option to display the text box on the first tab in the clan window in this list.

This would enable clans to advertise what they are about and what they are looking to recruit.

4 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

Would be helpful if the clans have an option to display the text box on the first tab in the clan window in this list.

This would enable clans to advertise what they are about and what they are looking to recruit.

I'd love to be able to read the clan descriptions folks have entered. I'm sure some have historical reference. 

Any more concrete info on rewards? PvE, PvP, patrol zone etc.

And @admin you considered your untradable Hercules ship notes as tradable via attacking a trader with the note in hold? 

6 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Any more concrete info on rewards? PvE, PvP, patrol zone etc.

And @admin you considered your untradable Hercules ship notes as tradable via attacking a trader with the note in hold? 

... RvR rewards...

On 4/20/2018 at 1:57 PM, Archaos said:

Not really true, all it shows is that they have learned the tricks to beat the AI either by being told by others what to do or they have watched youtube videos of how others did it.

That's a characteristic of a good captain - to learn things. I'd definitely take a captain like this to the clan. The biggest barrier I see is that people don't learn, don't search for knowledge, just complain. This exam roots out such people.

Sure, they will have to learn a lot afterwards - even if not about battles, then about ship builds, OW, communication and discipline, economy. Rooting out those who don't learn is a good start though.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 6:56 AM, Louis Garneray said:

Hurrah! .. for landmarks  It is this type of content that would make OW sailing more engaging, and encourage some of us to travel farther and more often.

• Like 1

No more magic wallet.

I would like to see how DNP or WO will transfer 3mln per day in their ports. :D

Or REDS and RUS will sail to Bermuda to pay for timers each day.

Edited by qw569
  • Like 4