Game-Labs Forum

Next big patches: Real currency and Open world user interface update

About the developers, there is something we need to consider.

There isn't much else they can do in terms of sailing mechanics, it looks to me it's as realistic as it gets. In the battle side there are some stuff which can be improved, but again not that much.

So then what? Job is done after the new UI is finished and everyone go do something else? This might be the right time to talk about content to make this a great game.

A suggestion to improve trading: Any trader under smuggler flag will not show its nation in open world. It will be seen as smuggler and if anyone wants to investigate will need to tag and get into the battle mode to discover the captain's nation and inquire him about it's intention. This could be annoying as trader might be tagged and inquired by captains from their own nation, and it will be time consuming, but puts "everyone in the same basket" and would be more realistic.

To the players who call themselves hardcore:

This game is hardly hardcore. To get there, first you need to remove the unlimited ammo and then put a 30%-40% risk of the crewman dying when using rum to recover crew (rum is not a resurrecting device). Ammo, repairs, rum and crew should all have their weight and make you slower if you load your ship with too much of any of these.

Edited by Jim Tiberius
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

Context:

I speak from 3 long years experience since the end of the Sea Trials. I (and many others) have raised many times across the development life cycle the need for there to be 'content' for traders, crafters and non clan players just as much as for the PVPers and RVRers. Yet, here we are with young Jim T and others raising exactly the same concerns. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Like I said, they can only work on one thing at a time. It stands to reason that with a limited team they would work on the hardest thing to develop: balanced combat. especially when they have the players to test it

If the game isn't hardcore go out and conquer the map. 80% of the things you listed are present and make the game hardcore, repairs do have weight so does rum.

The game needs ow pvp content which there is 0% of any unless you count patrols. As long as there is none new and "casual" players will get farmed at their capitals for eternity because it's so easy and fills my quota for marks and pvp content that I don't find anywhere else.

If you want smugglers to be taggable for all again (we have already had this feature before) then that's fine with me but expect to ganked even more by your own nation outside your capital.

Edited by Slim McSauce

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

If the game isn't hardcore go out and conquer the map. 80% of the things you listed are present and make the game hardcore, repairs do have weight so does rum.

Any game which has infinite ammo is either for kids or casual players who don't have time to work their skills. Ask anyone, from any gaming platform, and you will get the same answer. This is a noob's feature.

Also, I thought hardcore players were up for challanges. Attacking traders is so easy that it's not even worth the time. Isn't the game all about high quality pvp?

Edited by Jim Tiberius

6 minutes ago, Jim Tiberius said:

Any game which has infinite ammo is either for kids or casual players who don't have time to work their skills. Ask anyone, from any gaming platform, and you will get the same answer. This is a noob's feature.

Also, I thought hard core players were up for challanges. Attacking traders is so easy that it's not even worth the time.

Historically ships carried enough ball for days of continuous fighting. I don't think it would make so much of a difference. We do the same for provisions because ships carried supplies for up to a year at sea.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Historically ships carried enough ball for days of continuous fighting. I don't think it would make so much of a difference. We do the same for provisions because ships carried supplies for up to a year at sea.

We will have to agree to disagree in this one. Historically, not all ships were the same, neither were they doing the same thing, so I find it hard to believe even back then there was no cargo hold optimizaton for the task at hand and everyone sailed overloaded as you said.

Ships used to have ammo for continuous day of fight, yes probably, but not shotting like crazy as people do in this game. 

Edited by Jim Tiberius

11 hours ago, Jim Tiberius said:

A suggestion to improve trading: Any trader under smuggler flag will not show its nation in open world. It will be seen as smuggler and if anyone wants to investigate will need to tag and get into the battle mode to discover the captain's nation and inquire him about it's intention. This could be annoying as trader might be tagged and inquired by captains from their own nation, and it will be time consuming, but puts "everyone in the same basket" and would be more realistic.

Hooray for that.

Entering battle instance for each inquiry would be a little annoying if happens continuously and every jerk thinks he needs to test you. But we could agree upon having to sail as close as into the target circle for finding out the nationality. And deciding what to do with the smuggler. And maybe we should remove the silly threat to get attacked by your own nation without consequences when on a smuggling mission, as this nobody will do anyway for sake of good relations. A navy ship could ask a fine, though. As the smuggler is always doing something supposedly 'illegal'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

The game needs ow pvp content which there is 0% of any unless you count patrols. As long as there is none new and "casual" players will get farmed at their capitals for eternity because it's so easy and fills my quota for marks and pvp content that I don't find anywhere else.

And you will get counterganked and chased by enemy players. That sounds like OW pvp to me. 

Two things.

- indirect RvR by engaging enemy merchant shipping ferrying woods and parts and resources and whatsoever, including currency IS a good move. We had it once, before insta ships with marks. Not that I mind it but too much is too much. It is not the sinking of the enemy resources.

It is actually the stealing them. Like a underdog nation, with little support platform of resources will get them somewhere else. Mostly through raiding the enemy and bringing the goods home to put to good use.

- to test something like this, I am affraid to say, ALL captains must kickoff with ZERO assets or else the foundations are clay. 

Unsure if I totally like the proposal of keeping Admiralty currency to be used as a exchange of ships - meaning no resources have to be moved nor Labor Hours spent to build it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Two things.

- indirect RvR by engaging enemy merchant shipping ferrying woods and parts and resources and whatsoever, including currency IS a good move. We had it once, before insta ships with marks. Not that I mind it but too much is too much.

- to test something like this, I am affraid to say, ALL captains must kickoff with ZERO assets or else the foundations are clay. 

Unsure if I totally like the proposal of keeping Admiralty currency to be used as a exchange of ships - meaning no resources have to be moved nor Labor Hours spent to build it.

If we have to wipe, well guess that is the price on testing.  But to me it makes no sence if it is only traders that risk loosing its currency If we want it, we need to take PvP and RvR to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

About all the discussion with revenge fleets, now they are not such a huge issue, because online is small. Most of you probably don't remember 1000-1500 online times or even earlier. 

If hunters would actualy hunt people there will be no revenge fleet issues, but becouse hunters just park example at KPR where activity is high response to attacking someone so close is realistic.

Revenge fleet is realistic response to attacking so close too mayor port.

12 hours ago, Hethwill said:

The effect would be to remove an entire layer of economic content. 

I happen to build and sell ships. At a profit.  If that's where everyone wants to go I may be playing the wrong game.

• Like 1

would be a good opportunity to introduce the buy contracts for admiralty that are filled by ship builders and sold back to players giving builders a job posting board and improving player interaction rather than take away from it with soulless admiralty shop and ship notes.

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

would be a good opportunity to introduce the buy contracts for admiralty that are filled by ship builders and sold back to players giving builders a job posting board and improving player interaction rather than take away from it with soulless admiralty shop and ship notes.

This might need a bit of explaining as I am not visualizing how this would work.  Right now I can maximize the income on a demand curve (sales volume vs price) in the ship niche that I specialize in.  Which allows me to both adjust to what buyers are willing to pay and to shifts in my resource costs for the stuff I don't produce.

Does this mean I would sell the ship to the Admiralty and not directly to the customer (in the current market)?

Edited by Marcus Corvus
clarification

17 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Realistic in theory, but battle instance and OW hardly co-exist. We sail x distance in battle and spawn in the same place in OW. Time difference and speed is huge. Hunters prefer to team up and kill massive revenge fleets, but your beautiful world doesn't exist.

Hunters also made revenge fleets for other hunters, it's not about capitals or major ports. Everyone has friends that he can call for help to "camp" the battle. 

Wonder why? Just look at the changes that a certain tiny crowd keeps demanding.

Since noobs learned to pick determined defender I guess that one may be removed again soon. But for the socalled self proclaimed hardcore PvPers a fight with 1-2 with a couple of AIs on their side vs a PvE fitted player is what they think is the perfect game. No wonder why the server is bleeding players like crazy.

Something like 1/3rd of the entire server population are alts at this time that either fish for bottles or do AFK trading if they are out of port at all.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Wording

5 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

This might need a bit of explaining as I am not visualizing how this would work.  Right now I can maximize the income on a demand curve (sales volume vs price) in the ship niche that I specialize in.  Which allows me to both adjust to what buyers are willing to pay and to shifts in my resource costs for the stuff I don't produce.

Does this mean I would sell the ship to the Admiralty and not directly to the customer (in the current market)?

no it's just another option. Buyers tell admiralty what ship and what build they want (kind of like choosing wood when redeeming a note) except it's not a note, you're posting a listing for a buy order which can be looked at by ship builders that can fill whatever quota needs to be filled. Alternatively it could be a separate market entirely letting ship builders post any ship they want and have people pick it up from admiralty. Either way it would serve as a way for the admiralty to dish out ships to players without being completely disconnected from the market (I propose this would replace magic ship notes entirely)

Of course you can always still sell to the port marketplace as apposed to admiralty. Not sure how that would be balanced (maybe your ship is delivered 1x hour after buying?) if that's too much then limit this way to only buy orders that way it doesn't completely eclipse the regular market.

A nice little side bonus to this is that you could potentially be selling your ships directly for admiralty marks (whatever the devs call it come eco patch) saving you the asspain of trading for them, expanding your market a bit.

Edited by Slim McSauce

18 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Realistic in theory, but battle instance and OW hardly co-exist. We sail x distance in battle and spawn in the same place in OW. Time difference and speed is huge. Hunters prefer to team up and kill massive revenge fleets, but your beautiful world doesn't exist.

Hunters also made revenge fleets for other hunters, it's not about capitals or major ports. Everyone has friends that he can call for help to "camp" the battle. 

Yes there is problem with OW and Battle instance. Thats why they have put in invisibility, speed buff and sail against wind. You sugested it should be about 1-2 min. Lets say you attack a player just Nort of Christiansted. If we wanted to have a chance to get you, we would have a net from Frederiksted-Guiama-Amalienborg, the gab between Amalienborg. Players to close of area From Spanish to tip of Christiansted Island. Lets say you are 2 players and when they tag you, it should be a “Fair” fight. They need to players that would be close together. How many players do you think it will be needed. Your surgestion is just to get a free card out of jail. 

As it is now it is fine. As you your self have said, most time you get away, and if they have to get you, they have to do 3-5 battles and spend 4-5 hours.

You havent either answered how the guy that was at the spot, But just mised the fight by one sec, how He should be compensated. 

But we could ofc just drop Ow speed at all. Then you have fixed your problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I never said 1-2 minutes. I said it should be based on time spent in a battle. 15-20 seconds is nothing, especially with the broken game performance and optimization. Many players end up with 5-10 seconds boost before they load in OW, it's just broken. Fix that first, then I would say 1 minute boost would be fine for 1:30h battle.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, Banished Privateer said:

NA handicap is a separation of OW and Battle Instance ruining all realism and game mechanics and creating hundreds of issues. This can't be fixed in this game. My idea is not to help the hunter get away, but to give him a chance to safely get away after a long battle and avoid revenge fleets which are broken because of OW-instance handicap + F11 coords. If I sail in a battle for 1h and 30 minutes, I should get like 1-minute speed boost in OW to in theory sail a distance I could have sailed in a battle instance, that's pretty close to realism, right? And if I'm in battle 5-10 minutes, there is no much bonus for me then.

Revenge fleets after 1:30h battles are cancer, there can never end. You die, you bring next ship and wait with revenge fleet. Fresh, new ship, full repairs. The enemy is damaged, short on repairs and needs to keep fighting you again and again until he dies. Revenge fleets well done always kill enemy, no matter what. There is nothing skill-based about that.

I stand corrected. You only asked for 1 min. But with one min,  you just have killed of all possiblity to catch you. And you still haven.t told how to compensate the guy, that just missed the battle with 1 sec. But does that mean if the battle ends after like say 2 min, you only would like 60 sec buff/90 battletime*2 min real battle =1,33 sec buff

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

15 seconds boost should be minimum base and it's ok when the battle ends after like 3-4 minutes. What's the current base? Because of loading to OW, everyone says different values.

Also big ships should get a turn rate boost too, because speed boost is useless for them if they cannot turn... I mentioned it many times.

Why longer than they have travlled. It was your reason for exted the time based on time the have travled in battle. 

And you still haven't been told how to compensate the guy, that just missed by a second. Does he get nothing, He was at the spot. 

So reload time and then the buff. It should be easy to fix. Its start when the screen have loaded. but for a 2 min battle, you still then only gets 1,33 sec buff.

Edited by staun

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, Jim Tiberius said:

Any game which has infinite ammo is either for kids or casual players who don't have time to work their skills

Jim, On the one hand, what you say is true. In Age of Pirates II you bought the type and amount of ammunition and gunpowder in the port stores. Sometimes you came to a port and it did not fit. That forced you to be more careful when firing cannons. On the other hand it seems that some people forget that an MMO game to survive must have the most players better. Either you give people fun or they go, and I do not think Naval Action would survive with 40 online players around the world. On the other hand there are people who have not sufficiently practiced their skills because the vast majority of players already have an age and other obligations: work, family, etc. You can not blame anyone. So let's keep hitting guns and enjoy the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

RoE "You get what you see". Everyone can join who could see when battle started. It solves problems like "one second late" joining. Battle would close after 4-5 minutes (should be enough for 1st rate in visual range to get into battle upwind?) and only players that saw it start can join. That way players attacked/attacking know exactly who can join. This makes OW-instance much fairer for everyone, without sudden 20 ships coming from port/other instance hiding or from nowhere, hiding just out of visual range waiting for someone to take the bait.

So you want it all changed. not just get an extra buff fot the hunter. Hope that also includes the camera trick. If you can make a propper proposal, that makes sence in terms of gameplay and compensate for different in Ow and battle, you will have my full support. But as said as it is now it in my point of view need to be nerfred a bit, and I am at both end of the stic. I escape more times when running, than I succes in a revenge fleet.

11 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

RoE "You get what you see". Everyone can join who could see when battle started. It solves problems like "one second late" joining. Battle would close after 4-5 minutes (should be enough for 1st rate in visual range to get into battle upwind?) and only players that saw it start can join. That way players attacked/attacking know exactly who can join. This makes OW-instance much fairer for everyone, without sudden 20 ships coming from port/other instance hiding or from nowhere, hiding just out of visual range waiting for someone to take the bait.

They need time to raise their sails to 100% and turn direction they want, otherwise speed boost is useless below 15 seconds.

Those that wait also have to raise sail, Unless the are sailing around. Btw. Does it take 15 sec to sail up to 100 %?

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

+/ 3-5 seconds to get sails up (depends how fast you load)

+/- 3-5 seconds to turn ship and achieve max speed (takes time)

5-10 seconds of boost (so it has some sort of minimum effect).

Formula 60 sec buff/90 battletime)*time in instance+ (time for raise sail and turn)

Think you can rais sail and turn at the same time, but lets say it is 6 sec in all:

That will make a buff for a 10 min fight like this (60/90*10)+6=12.66 sec

There can't be a min buff, not if it should be based on what travel time in battle, witch is your argument for have a very long buff for time spend in a long battle. Guess ppl also cant wait in the battle 15 min anymore.