Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 23: Updated Tutorial, Special ship and new UI teaser.

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

Was there ever an answer regarding the Herc and clock rewards for completing the tutorial? Are they one-time lose-it-its-gone or do they somehow reginerate like the yacht?

one time

1 minute ago, admin said:

can you please record a video of low level bot reloading faster than you (cerberus would be fine)
High level bots (4th rates and above) can sometimes carry reload mods (just like players could carry them). But cerberus never carry them

So please. i need a video so we can reproduce a bug if it exists. 

Like crazy was a little exaggeration. It is just the combination of having marines, always boarding prep but still maintain the same reload speed as you in the same ship who has to care that your crew is on the right station. And I said, this doesn't bother me. It just feels not right when I compare it to myself and maybe it is my subjective perception that fools me.  

But the stern chaser thing is strange.

AI are cheating and all good players notice that:

1. Incredible shooting angles like 45 degrees in crazy positions, impossible for players

2. Super boarding mods. Their grenades, deck guns and muskets kill much more crew than mine (even if I have bigger weather guns or more muskets etc. AI will get more kills). Not mentioning crazy amount of marines they have

3. Some other minor stuff

• Like 3

In my exam AI cerb had double ball loaded when i captured him and transferred to his ship. As far as I can tell we players don't have perks active in exams, so its cheating

• Like 3

AI can load different ammo at the same time, for example, chain + ball and shoot them simultaneously. You must have a trader to test and prove it. They load different ammo for different decks if I understand that.

11 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Was there ever an answer regarding the Herc and clock rewards for completing the tutorial? Are they one-time lose-it-its-gone or do they somehow reginerate like the yacht?

Original plan was to turn cerberus into a premium ship and give it as a reward (like the yacht)
But that plan crashed into some issues with steam. So we give a much better ship but as a note.

31 minutes ago, admin said:

You should try to shoot at closer ranges than before
Chain damage was literally DOUBLED. Maybe you are shooting from too far. It does not do much damage from 600m and further.

not really, i was firing a little bit more of 250 but the problem is when you hit the sails ''hitboxes'' with full broadside. 

to deal damages you must use full broadside but the bottom square sails don't need all of your broadside to be depleted...so u must waste some shot or no big damages, cause single shot is too slow to catch sails when in good position

the other big problem is gank cause, if you go to 75% with 1 single broadside and need 12 min to rep to 95-100% , enemy nation needs only 2 players to kill you giving you no chance to figth...whatever you do.

if u doubled damages and make reps at 12 min, u must raise % of repaired HP and reduce time to repair to max.

now if you have a renno of 20kn speed and i am in a 5kn frig, i need only 1 broadside to stop you and if i have a friend in battle, the match is ended in less than 10 min

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Original plan was to turn cerberus into a premium ship and give it as a reward (like the yacht)
But that plan crashed into some issues with steam. So we give a much better ship but as a note.

So once again for those of Us who are a bit thick-headed:

This means that you get 1 note, use it to get 1 ship, and when this is sunk/lost, its gone foever?

3 minutes ago, dagdriver said:

So once again for those of Us who are a bit thick-headed:

This means that you get 1 note, use it to get 1 ship, and when this is sunk/lost, its gone foever?

Currently Yes. Its a rare one time gift for the admiralty on passing the MC exam

But it could change once we resolve some issues with valve (on how their dlc system work without actually being added to store)
It might also appear in the admiralty - but its not decided.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, huliotkd said:

if u doubled damages and make reps at 12 min, u must raise % of repaired HP and reduce time to repair to max.

now if you have a renno of 20kn speed and i am in a 5kn frig, i need only 1 broadside to stop you and if i have a friend in battle, the match is ended in less than 10 min

lets test this.. chain change is big and will take time to settle. but its a great direction. i love limited chain and much bigger damage. more realistic and historical

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Banshee Queen said:

Can players only get ship clock in tutorial or is it dropped random in epics and such?

Only through final exam at the moment

So is the Hercules really supposed to be 80 BR?  Given its specs it doesn't feel like it fits with other 80 BR ships...

"AI never cheats" is bunk.

AI ships have buffed HP as of one or two patches ago (you said so yourself).
AI always has marines, morale and boarding prep.
AI can hit your stern from a mile away, putting sniper shots on a small target with medium cannons (I have never seen a bot ship with longs).
AI has insane firing arcs on the broadsides. You can be well ahead or well behind the bot and it'll still put the vast majority of the broadside on you, whereas you can only hit them with a few cannons (somehow, pretending to be the Mercury never works out in the player's favor, somehow you always end up being the Turk, LOL).

I get the whole "durr bots are stupid and need to cheat" thing, but please don't say "they don't cheat" when they clearly do.

Chain limitation is crazy. Let's just limit ALL of the ammo so people exhaust the cannonballs and are forced to board. So hardcore, much historic, very accuracy, WOW.

I swear, with every patch yall are making it harder and harder to like this game. Sad.

• Like 1

The Hercules is an amazing ship when used properly. I would say that's its BR should be higher despite it's poor rate of fire.

Is it going to be added as Epic Event reward at any point or is this it, can I only take it out carebearing for fear of losing it?

Chain damage is nice but concerned in a PvP situation that it could just lead to a battle of who has the most repairs.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

So we give a much better ship but as a note.

Will the Hercules be available as purchasable premium ship later? Seems like a waste to have this beauty only be available once per player and then never again... Also I wonder why it is a 6th rate ?

51 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

"AI never cheats" is bunk.

AI ships have buffed HP as of one or two patches ago (you said so yourself).
AI always has marines, morale and boarding prep.
AI can hit your stern from a mile away, putting sniper shots on a small target with medium cannons (I have never seen a bot ship with longs).
AI has insane firing arcs on the broadsides. You can be well ahead or well behind the bot and it'll still put the vast majority of the broadside on you, whereas you can only hit them with a few cannons (somehow, pretending to be the Mercury never works out in the player's favor, somehow you always end up being the Turk, LOL).

I get the whole "durr bots are stupid and need to cheat" thing, but please don't say "they don't cheat" when they clearly do.

Chain limitation is crazy. Let's just limit ALL of the ammo so people exhaust the cannonballs and are forced to board. So hardcore, much historic, very accuracy, WOW.

I swear, with every patch yall are making it harder and harder to like this game. Sad.

Lets repeat this again: upgrades are not cheats

you can install marines
you can install boarding mods or reload mods
you can install arc mods 
you can hit targets from afar (if you are skilled and use accuracy mods.
number of upgrades depends on rank of the bot (not the ship)

If you call upgrades cheats why no-one is reporting you to tribunal for using allowed upgrades?
Also do me a favor go do a 40 man heroic raid in WOW and report back please - i just need your opinion if blizzard is doing fine by buffing NPCs based on rank 

• Like 1

Now contrary to my posts before the patch over all I have to say I think he is rather good. Tutorial might be a bit tricky in the end, but not undoable.

I think the chains do rather high damage from what I’ve seen, but two per gun may be a bit low in numbers.

Haven‘t got to test the new ship yet, but looking forward to it, even if I’m a bit afraid of losing it.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

So is the Hercules really supposed to be 80 BR?  Given its specs it doesn't feel like it fits with other 80 BR ships...

yes
80 br is required for ship to enter BOTH port battles.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, admin said:

yes
80 br is required for ship to enter BOTH port battles.

can we have privateer be the exception?

Ok, so from my side. Dont call it tutorial, cause its a challange mode. Last two missions (Endurance exam and Final exam) are really difficult and new player will not manage to do them. How do i know it? My friends cousin, who never played naval action, was stacked on demasting exam. When he finally starded Endurance he was really annoyed. After Endurance (which he didnt finish) he just quited. 

Another thing, ships in normal battle dont behave like in tutorials. They normally dont gain and loose speed so fast (bug?) and their cannons dont penetrate with such big angles. Tutorial should show how normal battle looks like, right now it doesnt :/

All in all, in my opinion last missions were really annoying but worth their reward. Still, there are really bad thing if we call it tutorial. Tutorial should show to new player that game gives a lot of fun, not frustration, right now it shows the second thing.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, admin said:

Lets repeat this again: upgrades are not cheats

you can install marines
you can install boarding mods or reload mods
you can install arc mods 
you can hit targets from afar (if you are skilled and use accuracy mods.
number of upgrades depends on rank of the bot (not the ship)

If you call upgrades cheats why no-one is reporting you to tribunal for using allowed upgrades?
Also do me a favor go do a 40 man heroic raid in WOW and report back please - i just need your opinion if blizzard is doing fine by buffing NPCs based on rank 

Oh give me a break with this.

No mod will expand my broadside arc to such degree that I can land the majority of it when the enemy ship is way ahead of me or way behind me.

No mod will make it possible to hit a tiny target (stern) from a mile away when both you and your target are moving. Yeah, maybe once in a blue moon, sure. Maybe with 2-3 balls, sure. Not every time with half a broadside and using medium cannons. But your bots hit every time, because they are bots and have perfect aim.

I haven't once heard a boarding whistle from a bot ship. They are always ready to roll. Hell, I saw someone get t-boned and boarded about a minute into a PvE mission by a bot,  during the initial "joust" phase. Said bot had full prep and and marines, and boarded the human player in 2 turns. Even if the human started preparing for boarding the moment the battle began, he wouldn't have had nearly enough prep to even start boarding. Tell me please which mods I should install for that?

Heroic raids have nothing to do with OW and PvE missions. Blizzard buffs heroic NPCs because it's an option that people select for greater challenge and reward. You buff everything across the board. I get the overbuffed ships in epic missions - sure, you can choose to go out and face Grand Admiral Hugenuts and his Super Armada and feel good about it and get extra-good loot if you survive. But we're talking about OW and regular PvE missions, no "heroic" settings involved.

Maybe the "mods" your bots use are some magic NPC-only mods and skills, or maybe they all have 10 perma slots and 20 skill slots (which magically disappear the moment I capture the ship and turn into "Fir/Crew Space, Shoddy" LOL). Then yes, of course, they are using mods like we do, and don't cheat at all.