Game-Labs Forum

Boarding + 'Determined Defender' suggestion

I hope DD is a placeholder for upcoming boarding and morale revamps. It's just such a sigh that a perk exists to such hard limits instead of a dynamic system that would achieve a better result. I get rage boarding needed a fix but I'd rather have a fix that will stay not one thats FOTM and probably took 3 minutes to code, no offense devs.

Edited by Slim McSauce

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I hope DD is a placeholder for upcoming boarding and morale revamps. It's just such a sigh that a perk exists to such hard limits instead of a dynamic system that would achieve a better result. I get rage boarding needed a fix but I'd rather have a fix that will stay not one thats FOTM and probably took 3 minutes to code, no offense devs.

Sure and they also need to add small arms fire from crew and marines when ships are in proximity and a host of other changes to make close quarters action more realistic instead of turning into a arcade mini game where the vet with a fantasy book and stacked boarding mods can take down a SOL from a 6th rate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, William Wade said:

Sure and they also need to add small arms fire from crew and marines when ships are in proximity and a host of other changes to make close quarters action more realistic instead of turning into a arcade mini game where the vet with a fantasy book and stacked boarding mods can take down a SOL from a 6th rate. 

funny thing is that would also take 3 minutes to code in, it already exists it's a matter of toggling it on and boom we have it. Though it wouldn't look good with the actual marines and affects. I don't know why devs haven't gotten around to adding the full crew of ships. Most people run the game well enough to add more of the simple crew models they have, if it really is a problem add a slider for how much crew detail you want. It's not like we want it for every ship in sight, I'm not even sure if you can see enemy crew atm.

It's little things like this that keep me from playing. If you chose 5 or so random small, safe suggestions like this the game would move forward with little opposition, like how could you argue against something so self serving as marines, a morale system, navigation tools, and what else. They're realistic and a natural path of development for a game that is trying to accurately portray the age of sail.

1 hour ago, Otto Kohl said:

DD is for skilles noobs. I would be ashamed to use that perk. It must be gone.

And I notice your ping is sub 50 in that mission to avenge Mo. 

I would be seriously interested to hear back what you think of boarding with a Ping of 300+  - try via a VPN server on the other side of the world. 

The lag is significant compared to what you experience at sub 50. 

Edited by William Wade

Proper Raking still allows boarding (same rate ships, eg. Frig vs frig)

No more snows boarding endymions 1v1 (or surps boarding vics)

I used to board a lot of lineships in light frigates, but in hindsight, that was stupid. Used to hate the perk too but now I think its fine.

• Like 7

DD should only work when you have boarding preparation ready. As the crew ready to defend, they should be prepared ! So you sacrifice firepower or sailing.

A Santi should not be sailing alone, a santi gets boarded by wasa ? Sorry that commander did not deserve to command a 1st rate, that is it ! 

* I see people becoming Commodore and they want to have a Victory, all I tell them, "you will lose your victory". Excuse me, if you can not dance in a snow, you will f. up in that big ship. I can not stand the sight of " a tacking for 1st rate, which makes constant yard movements to left and right, cause does not know how to tack".

You should perfectly tack, you should reverse, change your reverse direction, you should speed up, slow, stop and you have to do them in a very short time, you will not use w or s, you will use only yards and depower and rudder. 

I can do the stuff above, but will not sail in my 1st rate like I am sailing a 5th rate around.

DD at current stage is lame and retarded (only thing is players with bad ping can benefit from this) 

@admin    Better way to correct the lame / millisecond senstive boarding game is to, change it into a card game, like Heartstone ?

So no body will make last millisecond winning moves.

* Your selected boarding skills and upgrades,

* the morale of both ships,

* the crew number,

* decks and cannons

will decide your card deck.. Each player has a turn to act, and the other has to react, you can end the turn or wait for 10 seconds just like the current game. Please check many succesful card games on pc.

* This way it will be more realistic, and yes you should not dare to rage board a big ship in your 6th rate. You still have to reduce the crew drasticaly to secure a victory No body will cry for rage boarding. Imagine a Heartstone clone with beautiful naval time/pirate themed backround and cards.

pirate-1.jpg

pirate-2.jpg

pirate-3.jpg

pirate-4.jpg

• Like 3

Determined Defender, on its own is harmless ( to a point ).

Now setup a solid boarding setup and DD on top.

Simply put, I will board only when I want and you cannot do anything about it.

It benefits more - once again - modular ships and meta, rather then the average jack.

Snappy salute.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

very bad example. You cant board anyone anyway without getting crew lower first.

And then you dont need boarding.kds anyway because you have 30% more or even more crew anyaay

You misinterpreted totally what I said. 100% :)

I will try to convey it again, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

With DD I will block you from boarding me. But I also have a strong boarding setup, so I can board you when I want.

Win.

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You misinterpreted totally what I said. 100% :)

I will try to convey it again, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

With DD I will block you from boarding me. But I also have a strong boarding setup, so I can board you when I want.

Win.

You don't assume that the other has DD as well because it's meta to have it. 

No meta player will understand you.

• Like 1

Perks i hate them all, remove them and make it like it was in NA-L, you get a new ship unlock more things with experience that you get from Battles and all ships will get more even. More Skill based no Magicperks and Upgrades. DD is a major pain.

Same for the Woodtyps the most of them are rare used like oak but we have them for a reason i do not understand. Crafters will say they like the wide variaition in crafting blablabla .....! But do we need this?

Sometimes are many options good, but less can be more. More fun, more Balance, more Skillbased.

Dont let Ships that coud sail in reallity max. 12 knots sail 14 knots it feels false.

Waiting for the Patch back to the Stars se you soon.

50 minutes ago, Batman said:

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

So 5 ships attacking you, and you expect them not to board you ?

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

2 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

Hit something at speed and the sudden deceleration should demast you.

13 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

And this is also stupid as it would encourage bigger ships to ram small ones resulting in RAM damage triremes.

well a determent defender in this game is a  denial of boarding 

and that is not correct ....

it should be : harder to board but not a complete denial

a net prevent you to board a ship ,but in the end the ship will be boarded>>>  it delays<<  but its not a complete denial otherwise every ship today would have a net  ...and that s not the case

• Like 3

Just now, Thonys said:

well a determent defender in this game is a  denial of boarding 

and that is not correct ....

it should be : harder to board but not a complete denial

a net prevent you to board a ship ,but in the end the ship will be boarded>>>  it delays<<  but its not a complete denial otherwise every ship today would have a net  ...and that s not the case

No it should be renamed lead in your face, that's what you would get when boarding a taller ship.

1 minute ago, Le Raf Boom said:

No it should be renamed lead in your face, that's what you would get when boarding a taller ship.

Let's not open a pandora box :). That's a brig takeover a 38 gun frigate. But hey, it is possible to do in game.

In truth battles last 90 minutes and that gives time for the engagement to get fully resolved.

the-russian-cutter-mercury-captures-the-

• Like 3

What are you showing here? A ship that's already been damaged in combat with other ships. Apparently we should have oars now too according to the picture.

As a counter argument - here is a ship that could not be boarded despite being demasted, surrounded and badly damaged.

c827d79dff90fadad81f16af38930247.jpg

Edited by Le Raf Boom
  • Like 1

Boarding was being abused though, A boarding action was being initiated with no chance of success, but to hold the bigger ship in place while friends graped it down. So it was used simply to lock a ship down. Determined defender simply says your crew would be beaten back by  the bigger crew on the bigger ship before it made it over the side.. I would like to see it taken further, pulling a ship should incure casualties on both sides in proportion to crew size and preparation, If you try and rage aboard a ship with determined defender it should cost you a lot of crew to pull it.

Edited by Fletch67
  • Like 3