Game-Labs Forum

Boarding + 'Determined Defender' suggestion

1 minute ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I have to get people on Nation to work out percentages so I know when I can board them.

That's boring not fun.

It should at least say how many I need when I get the yellow boarding thingy or at least easy to guess, like 10%.

what about lets say you turn up on the side of the one you want to board you get a certain % of pulling success?

6 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Today, one guy was jumped in the "safe" zone. Only a few minutes after he was boarded because he hasnt DD. His santi boarded by a wasa while others grape him.

Is this the gameplay we want?

in that logic, a santi should be unboardeable?

Edited by Carlos_Condell
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I see no logic on small ships inmovilizing far bigger ships while others really kill the crew.

I dont see the logic on rageboarding neither on making the worst thing of NA (the boarding minigame, usually a ping and gear check) the new meta.

in a battle 1v1 the guy in a bigger ship make a mistake and get stuck in irons... so the small one can take his chances and go for boarding and voala... determined defender!!!
so yea is ruining the game... the other thing... if u get cought by a smoller ship than you... is your lack in skills to avoid that... sorry but is true

56 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Today, one guy was jumped in the "safe" zone. Only a few minutes after he was boarded because he hasnt DD. His santi boarded by a wasa while others grape him.

Is this the gameplay we want?

it's far better gameplay than the current get out of jail free card that most ships have right now being immune to all things boarding.  Historically a third rate + support ships would be able to take down 1st rate.  Third rates charged right in at trafalgar and were predominantly the main line of battle ship against larger ship engagements.  I see nothing unreasonable about a third rate + help tackling a santi.  What is perhaps more unrealistic is a 1st rate sailing alone.  That never happened.

Determined defender in it's current state is far too cheap of a perk and selecting it makes you sacrifice nothing in terms of what perks you can select.  At the very least it should cost more than 2, maybe 4 or 5.  You should have to give up something to get it and NOT everyone should be able to run it AND have all carpenters and emergency management.  I'll reiterate my thoughts from above.  DD should save you once, give a 60 or 90 second cooldown against regrapple.  If you're incapacitated or unable to get out of that position you should be able to be boarded again.  That seems fair.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Dont assume so much about the skills of others when killing crew with sternraking and grape is so easy.

I cant find any battle where a ship of the size of a shallow water could go sternraking non stop a first rate, kill hundreds of men and then go boarding.

I wonder what is more magic now.

are you try to stop a 1st rate with a 6th rate?  with the chain limitation?  or you are one of those dudes who hide behind a perk?

11 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

and do you really like it?

I have played almost every game with the same theme as NA, and unfortunately the boarding minigame is unappealing for many reasons.

perhaps... but the whole point is to have the freedom to board any ship with less crew no matter what... and not have this limitation

Edited by Carlos_Condell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Christendom said:

Frankly it's ruined OW hunting and port battles for me.  Anyone that thinks rage boarding is easy has no idea how to do it.

>Have boarding ship knowledge

>Ram enemy ship in to wind

>????

>Dead first rate

Much skill

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

>Have boarding ship knowledge

>Ram enemy ship in to wind

>????

>Dead first rate

Much skill

As always, your feedback adds much to this conversation.  Keep up the good work.  

Like I said, if you think rage boarding is easy you don't know how to do it.  Clearly you don't.

Anyway a smart captain can avoid getting boarded in most rage boarding scenarios.  I'm ok with a change to DD where your first attempt doesn't work OR the perk becomes a 4 or 5 point perk and other aspects of a player's loadout must be sacrificed in order to run it.  

Currently it's too cheap and far too over powered in it's current implementation in the game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I see no logic on small ships inmovilizing far bigger ships while others really kill the crew.

I dont see the logic on rageboarding neither on making the worst thing of NA (the boarding minigame, usually a ping and gear check) the new meta.

Agree previous game play was far worse with all the stern camping and rage boarding.  Plus the current boarding game is little more than a ping dependent last second paper,rocks,scissors mini game. 

Those here with sub 100 pings please try the game via a VPN and a ping of 350-400 let me know how much you enjoy boarding then. 

47 minutes ago, William Wade said:

Agree previous game play was far worse with all the stern camping and rage boarding.  Plus the current boarding game is little more than a ping dependent last second paper,rocks,scissors mini game. 

Those here with sub 100 pings please try the game via a VPN and a ping of 350-400 let me know how much you enjoy boarding then. 

Too often before determined defender people aimed to board right away rather than brawl it out just for quick battles. Started to make the game very dull seeing everyone just boarding simply because it was quicker and at times easier to do than to sink by hull damage.