Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chromey

Area Control Greifing

SO here is my question to the forum, if somebody sailing in a privateer or so has area control and you cannot get away but you cannot catch them and they keep you in perpetual limbo is that considered fair play? I lost 2 hrs of my life because I didnt want to surrender to somebody who was in a ship weaker then I but because of game magic I cannot get away nor destroy them. Unless devs can find a way around this , this is a powerful greifing tool and should be removed from the game until a workaround fix can be made. Either that or have some tiny ship of 55 battle rating lock up your fleet of 315 br locked up 4 as long as they please...

This hopefully is a learning experience. Depending on your ship build and load out it's entirely possible a better upwind sailor with longs can keep a poor upwind sailor with carros in control or tagged with no recourse. And that upwind sailor may choose (wisely) to not engage if that's a lighter ship with longs and you're in a heavier ship with carros.

Should this be the case? Yes. Will things change considerably with the new limited chain, possibly. Did you tag him in a position where the first broadside wasn't decisive? All of these things could be learned from instead of claiming that it's griefing.

We have BR tagging limits to reduce griefing, and I suspect that you just learned why it's generally fruitless to hunt small ships with large ships unless you have a fast, upwind sailor of your own with you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chromey said:

. Either that or have some tiny ship of 55 battle rating lock up your fleet of 315 br locked up 4 as long as they please...

I tried to run 2x times with my fleet but having 5x the br was not good enough and kept getting tagged.

Guy was a great shot and sailor but I think to fix the greifer ablity this perk should not work with 7 rates.. Or maybe even 6.

Edited by Chromey

You still didn't tell us what ships and loadouts you were in. But if he retagged you but never engaged it does sound like he was trying to hold you in battle, possibly to have his friends join him?

In any case, I still would be reluctant to accuse him of griefing unless you have a chat log to prove it?

You know thinking back you are right, this is a legit tactic that can be used honorably.. But it can also easily used to greif! Next time Ill just give him my slower ships just to keep my sanity because trying to hit a target that can dance up wind all day and repair their sails and masts with ease is a fools errand. I'm glad repairs now take 2 whole minutes and I also hope that it uses 75% if the crew to stop people from being able to harass like this so easily.

But it probobly wont.

Edited by Chromey

Just wait till it happens to you! Shit like this can make some people really quit the game.

Edited by Chromey

But tactics like this are what the tutorial final exam teaches you when faced by superior numbers. It teaches you to try and separate the opposition by taking out one set of sails, then run, kite and repair and slowly take out the other one, running and repairing again as necessary till the time runs out or you win.

There is an appeal to an open world game where players can create the content or the story.

I imagine a game where players could co-ordinate a conflict, with various roles.  Heavy warships for delivering hammer blows, frigates for their agility, traders to provide repairs and materials needed for a war effort and fast smaller schooners for observing and, harassing and delaying the enemy.  The beauty of an open world, is it's flexibility and the opportunity for multiple styles of play,  

Every time we create a mechanic, or a rule,  to limit some form of game play we reduce opportunities to use those same tactic to enrich the game.

Although it would be frustrating to be held hostage, I would prefer to allow players in small ships the chance to attack much larger ones.  Hopefully there is some form of counter tactic that could be used to avoid repeated such kidnappings.  Sail with friends.  Keep a small cheap interceptor, in the fleet, to interdict skirmishers.  Use a different ship.  Change locations. Liaison with fellow mates in your nation in hope that they may come assist in the future.  

There are lots of ways to adapt and make the story interesting.

Edited by Macjimm