Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

7 minutes ago, Mikocen said:

About cancelling missions. In sweden i had many times situation in which from Gustavia my mission was placed in front of Road (or Spanish) Town (Danish ports). Maybe before making such a thing like limitations in number of cancels firstly repair that? Mission which is 30k from port is not a content, it is waste of player time. And i will repeat that once again, DO NOT TRY force people to do PvP. Dont listen to whining of gankers, even in PvP server player should be able to do something without big risk of being ganked and its my opinion.

signed ... (can't hit the like button)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I give a lot of thought on sailing in the age of sail game. I give little thought on not sailing to the far side of the world in a age of sail game, especially under the jack, lucky jack.

different people have different enjoyment thresholds for in game activities .... you may enjoy the accomplishment of sailing for two hours and navigating so you hit your destination ...

others may feel its the biggest waste of time since gaming was invented

i like flight sims i enjoy the take off and landiing .... i hate the time inbetween  i have the option to do quick 10 min flights or a transatlantic long haul boredom flight ... te game gives me the choice

all i ask for is a choice ... not the game forcing me to spend time doing something i dont want to do

i dont want to have to sail dor 45mins from kpr to st annes against the wind to do a mission because the game says thats the only choice i have .. .

ill just log off and play something i enjoy

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Peter Peacemaker said:

Better play World of Warships then, this is an open world!
I would like it bigger to travel the whole globe

Okay throwing passive aggressive comment with you statement was unneeded. So i'll ignore that first half.

Okay but with the player cap of 2500 players the Map still felt empty in some areas. when i was playing with those numbers.

Alot has changed since then granted, Faster sailing times and whatnot.

However people get confused on what open world means and i recently saw a video explaining in simple terms why bigger is not always better... Granted different games different concepts etc but the message is still the same.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

People forget that mission spawn distance already is closer in the lower rank you are.  No more rear admirals cancelling missions over and over so they can grind first rates in peace.

Three a day is plenty for a casual player, who might only DO three missions in a day.

Bull.........there is no way you can explain this where it makes any sense. So basically, you are forcing players to take ships they cant afford to replace into areas they are sure to be ganked. Brilliant.  Watch the numbers drop even more....

1 hour ago, The Marinadtor said:

So the purpose is to make people go out of the safe zones? Isn't the reason people do missions so they dont' have to worry about PVP? So new players can get a feel for the game without taking too big of a risk to sink with their maybe only ship due to lack of knowledge of the game. Why even have missions then if you only want to encourage PVP?

I thought the same, but don’t missions just close right after the start?

That would at least prevent people from ganking one inside a mission.

2 hours ago, admin said:

OW enemy indications updated.

• Ship rank indication removed, players will have to rely on the visual recognition.
    • Fleet composition now only shows size of the ship (S – small, M – medium, L – Large), as you can only see top sails from 20-30miles

I really got to say the patch looks very good and been waiting on this to test many things until I read this part.   Are ya'll honestly trying to kill casuals on the OW?  Most of them can't tell you the difference from a cutter from a bellona and now your taking away the rating.  I hear all the time on coms, "What ship is it?"  "I don't know a 5th rate?" As that is all they know from the info and can't tell the difference from half the ships cause they have never seen them or sailed them in game.  Some one like me knows cause I been playing this game for over 2 freaking years so I know what every ship looks like, but a causal wouldn't be able to tell you a 1/10th of the ships out there other than the ones they own and even than that is hard cause half the ships aren't painted and look very much alike from one another.  I'm sorry your going to hard core with these OW indications.  I wouldn't have a problem if you put in some way to hail/spot the ship.  Like if your stationary and they are too and you push a button while using your spyglass you get info of the ship you can read it's ships name, and give basic detail and a lot of that was known by sailors of what war ships where in certain waters at the time, but you give them nothing and keep taking more and more info.

Every MMO I been in you got the info of the other players and teams you where going to fight in any PvP zone.  The only thing you didn't know was the actual build of that char just like we don't know the builds of the ships.   This is getting to be stupid taking more and more info from OW from the players.   

As for fleet compositions....sorry if i can use a spy glass and see if a ship is a Bellona and it has a Suprise in it's fleet I should be able to see that it's a SURPIRES not some small ship.   Don't tell me next your going to take away the BR indicator too?  Cause that seems to be the path your going.  Oh and this is how casuals find out the ships is they mention the BR on nation chat or TS and we Vets/Old timers tell them what ship it is.  I guess this is all ok for the nations that have zero new players and are made up of nothing but old timers/vet players that don't mind, but being in a nation that is very full of new players and casuals I can just see how much more of a nightmare this is going to be.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

I thought the same, but don’t missions just close right after the start?

That would at least prevent people from ganking one inside a mission.

I don't know how it works on the PVP server but on the PVE server they certainly close after you enter them. What I'm trying to get at is that the new added risk is the travel to and from the mission. And if you disregard the risk, as you would on the PVE server the potential longer travel to missions I think will make people not wait to get there but rather just go play another game.

Edited by The Marinadtor

This will makes doing missions harder, good going there, lol

So, at the moment I have a 1st or 2nd rate I need to xp up, therefore I take a mission, it's in the middle of nowhere, I cancel and try again  until I get a closer one in a safer area and then I do the mission. This is a pain in the rear, but I would be stupid to go out on my own to a mission in a big ship far away from safety,  and before you anyone starts going on about take some friends or form a fleet, there a re times when I can log on and very few of my clan can.

Now  you devs think it's a great idea to limit this process to 3 goes to get a decent mission or a crap mission. Once again I will NOT go out on my own far from a safe port so that I can XP my ships up, therefore this will greatly increase the time it will take to xp up. Result, I will play this game less and less, because I will not be able to achieve anything. I know there will be people going on that this is a pvp game/server etc, but look at the average numbers of the player base. You've already had to close down global server and other servers before because of declining numbers.

I stopped playing over 9 months ago and just came back a couple of weeks ago to see what had changed. I liked the reinforcement zone which would allow careful new players learn the game and rank up, gain experience etc. This process is being reversed yet again by the devs.  They are also making xp gains much more difficult, a gret way to keep players and a great way to gain a new player base. Granted they will get the initial fee from when players first buy the game, but if more and more leave, you will a limited experience for all including the pvpers. Also at the moment I cannot in all honesty recommend this game to any of my friends at all.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

As for fleet compositions....sorry if i can use a spy glass and see if a ship is a Bellona and it has a Suprise in it's fleet I should be able to see that it's a SURPIRES not some small ship.   Don't tell me next your going to take away the BR indicator too?  

You can only see a top sail from 20 miles
You can judge a size of the ship by a top sail, but not a ship itself. 
One would argue that you cannot even judge the size of the fleet at all (if they are sailing in a line formation towards you). 

We know what we are taking out, but the visual recognition (especially in bad weather condition) will become a more integral part of the game and will bring both excitement AND frustration to OW combat - which is somewhat historical (given an abstract travel map) and this is the only way to implement this historical element: inability to exactly know who you are facing from 20 miles.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Headless Parrot said:

Bull.........there is no way you can explain this where it makes any sense. So basically, you are forcing players to take ships they cant afford to replace into areas they are sure to be ganked. Brilliant.  Watch the numbers drop even more....

Agree whole hardheartedly,  if I reach my daily limit and still get shit missions, I'll just play another game instead, well done devs. I thought you r idea was to create a great game for all and make yourselves a decent amount of money on the way. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, El Presidenté Amplify said:

as always 1 step forward 2 steps backwards when will this stupidity of no names no ship class and less noob protection stop?

Captain this is a friendly development forum where we all gathered to have a good time. The fact that you dont like something does not make it stupid. Such language makes it harder to connect with you and your feedback.

Cancellation limit is a step forward (the proper step would be complete removal of missions), limits on cancellations is a good compromise.

Admiralty sends you to the mission you honestly cannot argue with the mission location. Historically if you declined orders you would be demoted or fired.

Workaround is simple - If you dont like the mission - sail out to OW there are plenty of NPCs.
Or wait until next day. You get 3 more cancellations attempts. 
Even Eve limits mission cancellations by a significant drop in agent reputation. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, admin said:

Guess we would have less of a discussion about that topic if people would understand that our view distance in-game is so huge compared to rl. I bet the 20km tag circle look for most people like a 500m circle.

• Like 3

Regarding ship ID:  Just because Wally and his wife's second cousin saw the Acheron out of water doesn't mean that every ship could ID another from sight.

The French fought, I believe it was the Constellation during the Quasi-War and thought she was a fifty gunner, just because of the rate of fire!

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Captain this is a friendly development forum where we all gathered to have a good time. The fact that you dont like something does not make it stupid. Such language makes it harder to connect with you and your feedback.

Cancellation limit is a step forward (the proper step would be complete removal of missions), limits on cancellations is a good compromise.

Admiralty sends you to the mission you honestly cannot argue with the mission location. Historically if you declined orders you would be demoted or fired.

Workaround is simple - If you dont like the mission - sail out to OW there are plenty of NPCs.
Even Eve limits mission cancellations by a significant drop in agent reputation. 

Seems reasonable , it isn’t like AI fleets are hard to come by.

11 minutes ago, admin said:

only way to implement this historical element: inability to exactly know who you are facing from 20 mile

I love and appreciate your passion for realism and historical accuracy in NA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Workaround is simple - If you dont like the mission - sail out to OW there are plenty of NPCs. Or wait until next day. You get 3 more cancellations attempts. 

Well to me it seems like you might not have played as a British character on the PVE server in a while, but correct me if I am wrong. The fact of the matter is there are not enough NPC fleets around highly populated areas to allow you to get good balanced fights against NPC fleets reliably and thats why the missions are so important on the PVE server. If this was matchmaking people wouldn't sit around for up to 30 minutes for a match, they would most certainly just find another game to play.

14 minutes ago, admin said:

So what you saying is that if a person wants to xp their rank in peace or their ship in peace they are not allowed to do it? 

As for EVE, if I wanted pvp action I went to systems with a security level  below 0.4 (if I remember correctly) or completely to 0.0 space. I went into those areas knowing that I risk all and could get hit at any time, but I liked the excitement and possible greater rewards to make it worth the risk. Occasionally I lost out but I knew that before I went in. If I was just making money to be able to afford losing ships and to grind better ships, I stayed in higher security areas where it was safe. So cancellation of missions was not that common and the three cancellation rule was fair and worked in EVE. Every player in the game had this choice.

Now with these changes here in NA, that choice is being taken away, the only choice will be to do missions regardless of where they are in be prey to the gankers who will really benefit from this, or go play another game. Yeah a really great idea to increase the player base.

Edited by Michael Corvinus
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:
52 minutes ago, The Marinadtor said:

I agree that we look for games' experience differently, yes :) 

Well your argument is you play the game a certain way so if it caters to it then its good. My argument is that my understanding of what most PVE players want is hurt by this which would make it bad for alot of players, hurting the game in the long run by even worse player retention then currently. I don't see how your argument is valid in the context?