Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

2 minutes ago, RKY said:

Nice patch, with interesting new features.

The map i guess is a small developer map used for features testing. The idea is more to show the design than change current world map I imagine.

@admin I am wondering what missions are for in your mind. Is it content for seal clubbers to retain them or is it content for players grinding ship knowledge? either way I fear player retention will drop since PVE players will be jumped all over the place. Unless missions instantly close wherever it is then it does not matter.

Why would they do that only reason for limit is forcing mission runners to go out and to give PvP players ganking targets

Edited by Lovec1990
  • Like 2

Just now, rediii said:

carefull there ... I think there was a time when missions wasn't a thing. :D

Well obviously I'm not advocating no missions. But I feel this change might be counter productive. If you want to have PVP you need captains comfortable with he controls, to get that you need missions that you can do safely without too big risks (like getting attacked by an experienced player on the way). This change I suspect will make it harder for you to get players to stick around long enough to consider going for the PVP. Anyhow I play mostly on the PVE server and this change only makes the game more tedious while giving nothing in reward in exchange. I think if the developers think this is a good thing to implement for PVP then why not treat the PVE server like a different server? They already do that with the admiralty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bloody Hound said:

I hope so, There are way to many Ports.

A new smaller map will be refreshing.

More is not always better! 

at the moment a smaller map would be good but if we have a release somedays and we have 3000+ players then we need a big map. it is weak to change the map size

• Like 3

Yeah this is a hello kittying great patch. 

As for PVE missions please code a feature to warn players in big red pop up text when there leaving the safe zone. This will allow new players complete transparency and reduce unecessary seal clubbing that causes the new guys to leave the game. 

Message should read.

You are leaving the safe zone. If attacked you will no longer be able to call in local reinforcements. Leave at your own risk. 

Seal clubbings bad. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, The Marinadtor said:

So the purpose is to make people go out of the safe zones? Isn't the reason people do missions so they dont' have to worry about PVP? So new players can get a feel for the game without taking too big of a risk to sink with their maybe only ship due to lack of knowledge of the game. Why even have missions then if you only want to encourage PVP?

Combat Tutorial and Admiralty Exams are, in my point of view, the road to rank up, receive rewards ( including ship ) to progress into being a active and world changing master and commander in the Caribbean server.

Still, battles open for 3 minutes only if there's a need to do them, but the same effect can be done with attack AI ships in front of home ports inside the zone, where is safer ?!...

I'm wondering what changes will definitely hit the Pacific server ( pve ) but the cancellation of missions surely doesn't affect anything.

5 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

If you're going to restrict PvE Mission Cancellations might I suggest moving them closer to land? At Jamaica you can get a mission at KPR and it's miles north of the island for instance.

@admin

the same is in la habana

if you accept missions in la habana then you have the missions on the other side of cuba. we will lose many players when they have to sail 20min to their missions

• Like 8

• OW enemy indications updated.
    • Ship rank indication removed, players will have to rely on the visual recognition.
      • Fleet composition now only shows size of the ship (S – small, M – medium, L – Large), as you can only see top sails from 20-30miles
  • PvE missions cancellations are now limited by 3 per day

Most things in this patch sound really good. However, I believe the two changes above are BAD. Eliminating the ship rate indicator is just going to make an already frustrating game, a bit more of a pain in the ass. Secondly, limiting PVE mission cancellations is absurd. The game is already low in content and now you want to make getting a close PVE mission rare. No one wants to sail 20 minutes just to do a mission. Im looking forward to most of the changes, but not the two listed above.

People forget that mission spawn distance already is closer in the lower rank you are.  No more rear admirals cancelling missions over and over so they can grind first rates in peace.

Three a day is plenty for a casual player, who might only DO three missions in a day.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, rediii said:

from what I know the server can only handle 2500 players and then a new yerver is needed. Am I wrong? I was not present in these days

I started with the game there were 1500 players online. can not say that exactly

26 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I'm wondering what changes will definitely hit the Pacific server ( pve ) but the cancellation of missions surely doesn't affect anything.

From reading this I can only assume you haven't really thought this through. On the PVE server there are two main areas of activity: crafting and trading, and fighting. Since alot of player don't fancy the non-combative activities they are left with fighting either OW AI fleets or doing missions. In the PVE server most players play as British and especially around KPR. That means that there is always a substantial lack on OW AI fleets for players to attack and they therefore have to resort to doing missions. If a player happen to be so unlucky that their mission is far away and they are out of cancellations, instead of effectively sit and wait on the "match" for 20 minutes of dull sailing they will go and play another game, simple as that. From what I can gather this will very probably hurt PVE player retention aswell as PVP player retention.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, The Marinadtor said:

From reading this I can only assume you haven't really thought this through. On the PVE server there are two main areas of activity: crafting and trading, and fighting. Since alot of player don't fancy the non-combative activities they are left with fighting either OW AI fleets or doing missions. In the PVE server most players play as British and especially around KPR. That means that there is always a substantial lack on OW AI fleets for players to attack and they therefore have to resort to doing missions. If a player happen to be so unlucky that their mission is far away and they are out of cancellations, instead of effectively sit and wait on the "match" for 20 minutes of dull sailing they will go and play another game, simple as that. From what I can gather this will very probably hurt PVE player retention aswell as PVP player retention.

I give a lot of thought on sailing in the age of sail game. I give little thought on not sailing to the far side of the world in a age of sail game, especially under the jack, lucky jack.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

People forget that mission spawn distance already is closer in the lower rank you are.  No more rear admirals cancelling missions over and over so they can grind first rates in peace.

Three a day is plenty for a casual player, who might only DO three missions in a day.

On the other hand I need much longer to reach a far mission with a bigger ship and not everyone can spend hours a day playing this game just sailing to missions when there would be enough other things they could implement to make the game more enyojable.  

If I want to so long trading runs or OW hunting it doesnt matter if I need a bit longer, but not if I just want to do two or three missions before I have to leave for other things.

I can understand that some people just want to sink others, but I don’t know if thats a clever change.

• Like 2

About cancelling missions. In sweden i had many times situation in which from Gustavia my mission was placed in front of Road (or Spanish) Town (Danish ports). Maybe before making such a thing like limitations in number of cancels firstly repair that? Mission which is 30k from port is not a content, it is waste of player time. And i will repeat that once again, DO NOT TRY force people to do PvP. Dont listen to whining of gankers, even in PvP server player should be able to do something without big risk of being ganked and its my opinion.

• Like 16

This all sounds really good with one exception:-

• PvE missions cancellations are now limited by 3 per day

Currently, if I want to do a mission in a reinforcement zone (and gain the protection of instant closure), I sometimes have to request and cancel the mission 20-30 times before I get one inside the zone.  This is when requesting the mission from a protected port (Belize in my case).

Now it seems you only want to give us 6 chances per day to get a mission in the zone.  If we fail I assume we have a choice to either take the risk or wait until the next day.  This is going to cause a lot of grief to inexperienced players.

My suggestion is:-

Implement your proposal to limit mission cancellations (repeatedly requesting and cancelling is a pain in the arse) BUT:-

• Ensure that all missions requested in a protected port spawn inside the reinforcement zone
  • Provide better rewards (same loot as AI fleets?) for missions outside the reinforcement zones to reflect the risk of getting "company"
Edited by Rufus Swipe
Bigger text
  • Like 6