Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

On 17.4.2018 at 11:29 AM, admin said:
    • Important. Final exam grants 2 rare items on completion: Hercules Frigate (ship note) and Naval Clock permanent upgrade. Use them wisely. 

Its look like we cannot repeat the final exam, if we finish once. Right?

And will the ship, converted from the note, have random trims and slots, same as a crafted ship, or ships from other notes?

I really hope in this case,  if we do not have a second chance, all get the same (without RNG). 

Edited by Holm Hansen

Part of patch is veteran only mode.

Newbies can't identify targets.
Newbies can't  realize benefits when veterans are outnambered due to chain limitation. (green near capitals for example).

So,  pvp veterans clap their hands, newbies population... then we'll see.

imho

Edited by Nemockalb
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nemockalb said:

Part of patch is veteran only mode.

Newbies can't identify targets.
Newbies can't  realize benefits when veterans are outnambered due to chain limitation. (green near capitals for example).

imho

You should not treat new players (newbies) as idiots. 
They will learn.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Nemockalb said:

Maybe you should do your part and train "newbies" helping them to become veterans then? That sure would be more constructive than your moaning about mechanics that are meant to promote enjoyable PvP. No offence.

7 minutes ago, admin said:

You should not treat new players (newbies) as idiots. 
They will learn.

What is the story with Green zones protecting all nations? Will you change that? I want to be able to kill Prussians outside port royal in peace! 

• Like 2

People shoud see every significant change in the game like old thinks where never been there is the best method for me. People rumored about crew-costs and now nobody cares about crew-costs.  

So dont think about what was befor, lern to life with it or let it. And if Devs see in a week or more that the system doesent work they will deploy a patch and try to fix it.

• Like 1

Why not introduce some kind of recognition/identification chart? The nice ship illustrations we had in NAL would be enough for people to learn all ships or look them up if they are not sure.

Or an additional tutorial about ship identification. What to look for? How many masts, gun ports, distinctive features.

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Edmund Blackadder said:

The problem is: Do they have the time and are willing to take it to learn.

In truth the question one should ask is: Do I ? 

Why play games...why indeed...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

In truth the question one should ask is: Do I ? 

Why play games...why indeed...

True, but one has to take into account how much time one is able to put into a game. (Or his hobby in general).

A game like Naval Action is quite a niche game compared with other genres and I don’t know if it is wise to make it even „harder“ for new >and< „part time“ players to enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, I like the sailing and I mostly like pvp even if I‘m not always the winner, but some times I just want to do a quick fight or test something new without spending hours of just sailing around reading a book till I get to my destination.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edmund Blackadder said:

True, but one has to take into account how much time one is able to put into a game. (Or his hobby in general).

A game like Naval Action is quite a niche game compared with other genres and I don’t know if it is wise to make it even „harder“ for new >and< „part time“ players to enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, I like the sailing and I mostly like pvp even if I‘m not always the winner, but some times I just want to do a quick fight or test something new without spending hours of just sailing around reading a book till I get to my destination.

Jump out of port hit an AI fleet , you have numerous outposts with numerous ai fleets outside for a quick fight or to test a new build or speed of a new ship.

Sometimes I think people see problems that aren’t truly there.

Why would you need to spend hours doing that?

• Like 2

I don't get you wrong Edmund sir:) 

I spend time in hobbies, one of them being games in all types of media including computer ones. Some games are a sprint, others a marathon. It really depends on ourselves and what we look for in a hobby and not what the others look in a hobby. Or else...

"Wood ships models should be very easy to do. Poor newcomers will have a very hard time!" 

3 minutes ago, Tac said:

Jump out of port hit an AI fleet , you have numerous outposts with numerous ai fleets outside for a quick fight or to test a new build or speed of a new ship.

Sure, I can attack an AI Fleets, there’s no problem with it, except I can do Missions in relative safety for when I want to.

The thing is, I understand that there are people who want more PVP and on the PVP-Server it’s understandable, I see it more as Nation against Nation. But: I don’t think limit the mission cancelling will get us or anybody more PVP fights. 

In my opinion there will be people who take it as it is and sail to the missions no matter where they are, then we will have people who shift more to PVP (or maybe not) and then there surely will be people who switch the server or quit the game completely.

Now some will say maybe not a big loss, but like I stated before, we sadly don’t have the biggest playerbase and there was nothing wrong with the PVE Missions, they worked perfectly the way they were. I like to compare it to a flight sim, there you won’t have the biggest playerbases too compared to other games, so one has to keep the people happy, after all we, who love the game, and the devs who made it, live of the fan/playerbase.

Maybe its the right move? Time will tell. But at least I think it’s quite a hard break with what we had before.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tac said:

AI fleets only spawn if there is players. If you jump to a random remote outpost there will be nothing until they start spawn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

AI fleets only spawn if there is players. If you jump to a random remote outpost there will be nothing until they start spawn.

While this is true there's always AI if you are the only player in a spot. Tested it to exhaustion. There was always AI, traders and warship fleets. Maybe not the easy peasy type of warships but enough to keep anyone entertained.

8 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

Who said it had to be remote or random? You should of selected your port for it already,it doesn’t have to be on the moon either just not a capital in heavy traffic use the combat news to see if a player has been sunk recently in the area.

The tools are provided just have to use them.

Edited by Tac

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

While this is true there's always AI if you are the only player in a spot. Tested it to exhaustion. There was always AI, traders and warship fleets. Maybe not the easy peasy type of warships but enough to keep anyone entertained.

If you jump into the area or just logon its empty for quite a while.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, victor said:

I connect mission with online members for one reason: trading, AI fleets and missions are the only PVE feature we have in game ... but missions in green zones are the only risk free PVE feature

Casual players usually do PVE.

In just one patch you will make trade, missions in safe zones and AI fleets much more risky than before in term of gank.

The logical assumption is that a portion of casual players that now make their "safe" PVE things may leave the game if after the patch they will get ganked too much in doing their usual activities.

In other words: you make trade to capitals and AI fleets even more risky and IN THE SAME TIME you take away from the game also the only risk free PVE activity. This, in my opinion, is likely to induce some (well, quite some) causual players to leave the game.

I have to say, I'm a casual player, playing only weekends.  I love to PVP, even though I lose a lot, and I get money to buy ships from trading.  I have yet to get captured trading and I never trade inside the green zone.  There are plenty of less risk trade spots outside of the green zone.  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, admin said:

indeed 
but players (Including you) seem to be always connecting any missions with online numbers and retention. Thus if you are are right (and missions and online are connected) their logic tells us that removing missions will actually increase online

OR. please stop connection missions with online numbers.

Agree.

However how fun a game is tends to correlate with player numbers both in total and active. 

Most forum fighters tend to not take that into account when providing input on various subjects other there own enjoyment.

As a hybrid player who likes to do crafting and thus also needs to do trading to keep costs down, I realise I will get hunted while trading and sailing but it needs to be fair so a trader has a chance to escape. If you have that chance it can still be fun even tho I might get losses.

Most changes done lately tends to cater to the hunters and make it harder as prey. 

Balance is good as it gives players more incentive to go out into OW. 

• Like 1

hmm...

Chain.. just 2 per gun? almost seems pointless now, but I suppose as stated its alot more damage, the outnumbered player 'should' be in even more trouble now.  

Missions cancellations, reduced AI support strength (and still forcing the player to press the button) sounds like a negative impact on the new player experience to me.

Edited by SKurj
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, SigInt said:

For all the talk of PVP some obsess over in this thread, there seems to be little organised PvP among the "skilled" max geared players here. Something that would be a given if it was all about "skill". Also, at least some of the lauded solo players here are just meta abusers, if one looks with what setup they are sailing with.

In conclusion, the average poster on this thread are not "BAD HARDCORE M****ERS"  but rich old overweight slobs sitting on their thrones of gold being served by the great unwashed while dreaming of their (imaginary) golden youth

I wonder who is obsessing?

I do appreciate the poignant prose, but all this shouting started with "a limit of three mission cancellations". That makes the world collapse on top of pve players?!

We may have a situation where "one feather turns into five hens".

• Like 2