Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

15 minutes ago, admin said:

Look Victor.

If people did not want risk. PVE server would have bigger numbers. Sorry but this is a fact. People want risk

Adrenaline gives you endorphins, creates emotions, creates better experience. 

We ran a lot of experiments during last 2 years and now are confident on what we want the game to look like on release. We also know what players we want and what players we dont want in the game. We also know now how do we want to approach community. 

You can now relax sit back and enjoy the ride. PVP server will be full of risk and excitement. Safe zones will remain to help players rebuild, but there will be no absolute safety for higher ranks. Its a pvp server - its a real age of sail experience. Real captains fought real captains from time to time. This will remain .. forever. 

can I send you a friendly warning point for joking with me? :D

Anyway at least here you finally were straight in your statements about the players you want or not in this game (well, it came two years and half after I paid the game, but I played and enjoyed this game for a crapton of hours so it's fair enough).

I guess me and others "hardcore carebears" can finally draw their conclusion about staying in the game or not.

I will not bother you anymore on the forum (but think about the colors of water proposal, since could be good)

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, admin said:

we are not trying to attract casual crowd - sorry. And NEVER planned or plan to. in fact there is no place where we ever said this is a casual friendly game. 

Funny fact! (kudos to all of you). NO-ONE HERE IS CASUAL. Even if you think you are casual YOU ARE NOT.

You are playing one of the most hardcore games. Think about it.
Full loot. Everything you carry with you is lost on death. Full gank. You can lose most ports forever. Some nations can lose access to admiralty (forever). You are not safe ANYWHERE. You have to sail for hours. 

There NEVER were a single casual player in this game. You are all  HARDCORE M****ERS. excuse my french.

Why do you not state this on your advertising or when people start to play the game?

Or is it the case of "unlucky you bought this game not knowing that we don't actually want you as a casual player, by the way, you're not getting your money back seeing as you don't want to stay"

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Passing tutorial will immediately rank you to M&C and you will be able to sail all light frigates. This means you will be immediately useful in PVP and/or conquest.

Excellent !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

You agree with me in principle and we only talked about principles. 

• You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pvp fight (there are places where players are hunting or farming and as a last resort there is always Captain reverse and people like him)
  • You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pve fight (there are spots where concentration of AI is huge)

In fact most of the time average time to find a fight is not much slower than PUBG. TP to tortuga and sail to mortimer - 5 mins and you get a fight.
The only caveat is this - you can find A fight, but it might not be a fair fight (which can also be said about pubg)

sinking players who do not yet know how play is part of the game. Every pvp game (from tarkov to cs to eve to pubg)

also important point - there are no mission agents in spawn stations in EVE. 

How a new player should know all this information? Did he undergo brain enhancement process? Critical information is absent. Map doesn't show zones where action takes place. Chat is useless and by the time you get to the area it's empty. That doesn't work. 

It must be displayed in real time. If player sunk a player, you drop an icon on the map and keep it for an hour. If Player is killing NPCs, show contention increase circle around that port on that same map. With such tools new guys will roam the seas day and night. No doubt in that. 

It's all in developer hands and you guys make decisions that effect everything. No one else to blame here. 

Edited by Project Pluto

1 minute ago, Michael Corvinus said:

Why do you not state this on your advertising or when people start to play the game?

Or is it the case of "unlucky you bought this game not knowing that we don't actually want you as a casual player, by the way, you're not getting your money back seeing as you don't want to stay"

steam has a refund policy.

8 minutes ago, Michael Corvinus said:

They actually do advertise this game as a hardcore age of sail experience. But once in game you would think otherwise with how protections are put in place. It's like an effort was made but was abandoned because it didn't work.

It's an EA title and you can't expect everyone to read the tags, most people will try the game on steam before refunding if they like it, if those 1st 2 hours they see talk of safezones and whatnot they may think this game is hardcore but allows room for casual play when in reality you're in just as much danger doing anything casual in the safezone as you are anywhere else, just in very certain parameters you're protected for instance being tagged by enemies in the zone.

That's very untypical for an MMO and needs very deliberately communicated to people who may buy the game. You're playing a game wholey dominated in all aspects by the presents of PVP in all locations.

Edited by Slim McSauce

4 minutes ago, Michael Corvinus said:

Everything is on the steam page 

Naval Action is a HARDCORE ..... 
check the steam page.

Many things you consider bad (long journeys, lone sails on the horizon, long searches for fights, running from superior fleets, sinking) were part of the age of sail experience. We deliver on the many things that are true to the age of sail experience. Many french ships sank right in the harbors from the skilled British captains

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, admin said:

Thats not a problem. If you lost it its always your fault. 
Your account is not wiped on death. You dont lose xp. You are not corpse camped, you dont lose skill points, you can capture this ship from others. You can sail it any time you want (not like in real life with 5 first rates for the whole navy)

Believe me it is the problem of your comparison of NA and PUBG!

What you wrote simply doesn’t work imo!

Edited by Navalus Magnus

2 minutes ago, Michael Corvinus said:

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas

Hardcore and realistic should ring a bell. Furthermore i believe admin said that description will change with final release.

4 minutes ago, Project Pluto said:

How a new player should know all this information?

By playing. Like in all games. Please don't think that humans are dumb. You are all smart - DNA is the same. You can learn yourself and teach others.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Navalus Magnus said:

What you wrote simply doesn’t work!

Just break free out of your habits that developed over (maybe) 2 years of EA.

7 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

What you wrote simply doesn’t work!

Like in pubg - if you die you dont keep anything. Also we had battle circle of death BEFORE pubg.

regarding lineships
what does not work? I dont understand

Everything works to my opinion.

Losing first rate is somewhat painful - check. (but not really painful if you have production setup)
Replacing first rate is hard(er) - check (but not really painful if you have production set up)

It is the design . Working as intended
If you don't want to feel pain from the loss - sail a frigate (free from the NPCs). Or join a clan. Multiple large clans lose their first rates every day to prussia or @rediii and recover them with ease. 

16 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

OK, so where would you draw the line, because some would say safezones are a needless feature if everyone is expected to be able to PVP within them. They cut into normal pvp, new players believe they should have this zone for casual play but keep getting interfered by hardcore pvpers. The fact that you have what players refer to as a "safezone" kind of infers that you are interested in the safety of the new/casual player.

THAT is the fine line they are trying to find. But any change they make is going to please some and piss off others

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NethrosDefectus said:

THAT is the fine line they are trying to find. But any change they make is going to please some and piss off others

yes. ! unfortunately it will.
But if its going to bring results (better game in general) players will forgive us for this pain.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, EliteDelta said:

API says she has 3 decks of guns, top = 6 guns (4 pd max), middle = 18 (9 pd max), bottom = 10 (12 pd max). 

API is outdated

it will carry 24 or 18 lb on main gun deck. 24 fits but looks..  very big ;). But all the sources point to the spanish 24 libras canon on gundeck. Which means 24lb cannon

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bloody Hound said:

On another note when will we get more swivels on ships? i somewhat like the LGV Refit but i would love to see them on other ships :) 

didn't every ship in service have some swivels on it or is that a misconception? It would be nice to see swivels used for more than 1 ship

2 hours ago, Jake463 said:

I agree with Wraith i can't see how we will keep new players this way.  Or maybe if the they have to do missions outside the safezone the missions close immediately that way they still have a risk to get to the missions ??  

I really want you to explain to me.
Can you please elaborate or explain why did you choose pvp server and not pve server?

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, admin said:

By playing. Like in all games. Please don't think that humans are dumb. You are all smart - DNA is the same. You can learn yourself and teach others.

Sorry for off topic, but interesting fact here

http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news38

12% difference and evolving. 

Edited by Project Pluto

34 minutes ago, admin said:

If people did not want risk. PVE server would have bigger numbers. Sorry but this is a fact. People want risk

Adrenaline gives you endorphins, creates emotions, creates better experience. 

We ran a lot of experiments during last 2 years and now are confident on what we want the game to look like on release. We also know what players we want and what players we dont want in the game. We also know now how do we want to approach community. 

You can now relax sit back and enjoy the ride. PVP server will be full of risk and excitement. Safe zones will remain to help players rebuild, but there will be no absolute safety for higher ranks. Its a pvp server - its a real age of sail experience. Real captains fought real captains from time to time. This will remain .. forever.

Amen, brother.

27 minutes ago, admin said:

we are not trying to attract casual crowd - sorry. And NEVER planned or plan to. in fact there is no place where we ever said this is a casual friendly game. 

Funny fact! (kudos to all of you). NO-ONE HERE IS CASUAL. Even if you think you are casual YOU ARE NOT.

You are playing one of the most hardcore games. Think about it.

Well now.  I find myself agreeing with this.  I might play fewer hours than some.  But those hours are definitely NOT casual.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

I agree with Wraith i can't see how we will keep new players this way.  Or maybe if the they have to do missions outside the safezone the missions close immediately that way they still have a risk to get to the missions ??  

idk but back in my day (steam release), we didn't have safe zones, we didn't have fleet missions - sometimes kpr got raided, but that provided content, brought the nation together to fight them

and as I see it, the way developpment is going is away from missions - Complete the exam and get your master and commander rank and a frigate; do the tutorials to learn basic manouvers, no more need for pointless hours of grinding ai

• Like 7