Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Any one got the API data on this ship?  I was just wondering what the gun lay out is going to be.  Is it going to maybe have some decks share like the prince does cause it looks like it has three decks of guns.  Wiki has this listed as it's cannons.  Which the last part 6 guns stones?  Aren't those Mortars?  Could we maybe gotten an updated ship with the option to have mortars?  I don't see any on the screen, but would be interesting.

4 guns of 24 pounds 
8 guns of 18 pounds 
12 guns of 8 lbs 
6 guns of 6 lbs 
6 guns stone

API says she has 3 decks of guns, top = 6 guns (4 pd max), middle = 18 (9 pd max), bottom = 10 (12 pd max). 

18 minutes ago, pit said:

@admin Can you explain chain shot to me, you said 2 shots per cannon, does this include stern/bow chasers? How will this effect catching someone who is running?

Yes it includes bow guns. It's the same for double and charged shot to. 2 shots per gun is about 4 broadsides and some left over for chasers. 

3 minutes ago, Red Dragon 13 said:

That is quite less than the real thing imho

Besides the real one was copper plated

True, she is classed as a 6th rate though. Probably lowered for better balance. Also she only carries 170 crew, those large caliber guns would be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, pit said:

@admin Can you explain chain shot to me, you said 2 shots per cannon, does this include stern/bow chasers? How will this effect catching someone who is running?

Basically you won't catch them, you will fire your 2 chain shots... they will repair and run.

Perfect update for fast build capital camping ships when others join the battle.

Edited by Dibbler

1 hour ago, victor said:

If you do not take this as a personal offence of disrespect, this statement contains a clear logic error:  from the fact that cause [A] has consequence (B) you cannot infere that cause [opposite to A] has necessarily the consequence [opposite to B].

indeed 
but players (Including you) seem to be always connecting any missions with online numbers and retention. Thus if you are are right (and missions and online are connected) their logic tells us that removing missions will actually increase online

OR. please stop connection missions with online numbers.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Ganking is a part of PVP learn to deal with it. Leaving the safe zone is not a death sentence as you have been led to believe. Capital getting camped? Teleport across the map to a freeport. Can't do a quick mission with complete immunity? Teleport across the map and pull a mission there. I am not telling you how to play, just giving you a dose of reality. There are other players in the game and their goals may have a negative impact on you but that is part of the game.

You don't read before you reply.  I didn't say leaving the safe zone is a death sentence.  Maybe that is what you wanted to hear.  I said, taking a mission outside the safe zone is a death sentence.  I leave the safe zone all the time.  I like the combo of some safety and high risk.  (I spent an entire military career in "high risk" so bring it on).  If you take a mission outside the safe zone in your single vessel, you WILL be jumped by a group of enemies.  Only bullies enjoy bullying.

23 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

True, she is classed as a 6th rate though. Probably lowered for better balance. Also she only carries 170 crew, those large caliber guns would be a nightmare.

Will be the Shallow´s Queen!!! Love that, thanks.

Her 2 more famous battles were in the Rio de la Plata, shallow waters indeed!

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I agree with you in principle, but PUBG is a ridiculous comparison and you know it.  I don't have to sail for 2 hours to find a 1.5 hour fight in PUBG.  When I go out and kill off a bunch of new players who can't even manual sail and probably don't have the money to replace even the storebought ships + cannons + repairs they're in without a few full days of grinding... this isn't the same as dying and clicking respawn with exactly the same loadout and an even playing field with everyone else.

Be honest when you assess the changes you're making and the players you're catering to.

You agree with me in principle and we only talked about principles. 

• You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pvp fight (there are places where players are hunting or farming and as a last resort there is always Captain reverse and people like him)
  • You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pve fight (there are spots where concentration of AI is huge)

In fact most of the time average time to find a fight is not much slower than PUBG. TP to tortuga and sail to mortimer - 5 mins and you get a fight.
The only caveat is this - you can find A fight, but it might not be a fair fight (which can also be said about pubg)

sinking players who do not yet know how play is part of the game. Every pvp game (from tarkov to cs to eve to pubg)

also important point - there are no mission agents in spawn stations in EVE. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

API says she has 3 decks of guns, top = 6 guns (4 pd max), middle = 18 (9 pd max), bottom = 10 (12 pd max). 

Interesting lay out to give new players or should we say players that hit that level.  Guess to teach them multi decks early on.

12 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Yah like going to have to know how to work your crew or load it up with hammocks/crew mods.

17 minutes ago, admin said:

indeed 
but players (Including you) seem to be always connecting any missions with online numbers and retention. Thus if you are are right (and missions and online are connected) their logic tells us that removing missions will actually increase online

I connect mission with online members for one reason: trading, AI fleets and missions are the only PVE feature we have in game ... but missions in green zones are the only risk free PVE feature

Casual players usually do PVE.

In just one patch you will make trade, missions in safe zones and AI fleets much more risky than before in term of gank.

The logical assumption is that a portion of casual players that now make their "safe" PVE things may leave the game if after the patch they will get ganked too much in doing their usual activities.

In other words: you make trade to capitals and AI fleets even more risky and IN THE SAME TIME you take away from the game also the only risk free PVE activity. This, in my opinion, is likely to induce some (well, quite some) causual players to leave the game.

Edited by victor

3 minutes ago, admin said:

indeed 

I am genuinly interested in what you guys as the developers with more data than any player think is the reason for the bleed of players and what you think is the "solution" (if you think there are any) to how to stop the bleed and start getting more new players stick around, and of those possible solutions can you give a hint as to what will be added up until the launch that would address it? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I am genuinly curios because I love this game and want it to thrive.

1 minute ago, Peter Peacemaker said:

BYE, BYE fast and safe training on new ship types ...

bye bye.JPG

To be honest, maybe haveing new players both have an outpost at the capital and one outpost at a "mission port" might be a good idea. Most new players on the PVE server from my experience don't see any point to exploring the map, but if you start at two points that might be a good hint in that direction.

12 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

You don't read before you reply.  I didn't say leaving the safe zone is a death sentence.  Maybe that is what you wanted to hear.  I said, taking a mission outside the safe zone is a death sentence.  I leave the safe zone all the time.  I like the combo of some safety and high risk.  (I spent an entire military career in "high risk" so bring it on).  If you take a mission outside the safe zone in your single vessel, you WILL be jumped by a group of enemies.  Only bullies enjoy bullying.

Ok since you are playing towards semantics, Taking a mission outside of a safe zone is not a death sentence. Just as tagging a fleet outside a safe zone is not a death sentence. As long as you aren't running on autopilot and sailing past a bunch of enemy ships to enter a mission you will be ok. Pull this mission, sail upwind until mission closes then sink AI.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens with the reinforcement limits in the safe zone.  Does it mean that the reinforcement is the same level of the attacking players?  double their level in the same class of ships?  Some of the better players (not me yet) may be willing to accept that risk and plow through the AI's to get you.  Could make for some exciting fights.  Do you stick around and assist your AI friends or run like hell?

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens with the reinforcement limits in the safe zone.  Does it mean that the reinforcement is the same level of the attacking players?  double their level in the same class of ships?  Some of the better players (not me yet) may be willing to accept that risk and plow through the AI's to get you.  Could make for some exciting fights.  Do you stick around and assist your AI friends or run like hell?

The AI will be of the same class ship as you. But it will be Epic event AI like before. 15.5kn ships with all the bells and whistles 

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, victor said:

I connect mission with online members for one reason: trading, AI fleets and missions are the only PVE feature we have in game ... but missions in green zones are the only risk free PVE feature

Casual players usually do PVE.

In just one patch you will make trade, missions in safe zones and AI fleets much more risky than before in term of gank.

The logical assumption is that a portion of casual players that now make their "safe" PVE things may leave the game if after the patch they will get ganked too much in doing their usual activities.

There is a risk free server. If people want risk free gameplay why they dont play there and instead go to pvp server and complain about pvp?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

AI is dumb mate. If they are not super-buffed NPC an average player will just laugh at them. A squad of two-three players enters the battle, two-one kite the NPCs and the other kills the player. This is the scenario I foresee.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

There is a risk free server. If people want risk free gameplay why they dont play there and instead go to pvp server and complain about pvp?

Point is that if too many will do this, this server will have troubles for low population.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

You agree with me in principle and we only talked about principles. 

You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pvp fight 
You dont have to sail for 2 hours to find a pve fight

In fact most of the time average time to find a fight is not much slower than PUBG. TP to tortuga and sail to mortimer - 5 mins and you get a fight.
The only caveat is this - you can find A fight, but it might not be a fair fight (which can also be said about pubg)

sinking players who do not yet know how play is part of the game. Every pvp game (from tarkov to cs to eve to pubg)

That's not true about Eve. You could play in high sec no PvP allowed or NPCs killed PvPer low sec (0.4 and down)no PvP near stations, or 0.0 space all bets off. I remember buying my first Battle cruiser going to low sec and getting wasted, until learned about resistances and types of weapons.

As for this game. When I first played there were regularly over 900 players online, on a PB day or some weekends it reached over 1000.  Not that many now.

i didn't know about being able to refuse missions. I would take a mission in KPR and it would send me to PA or St Annes, or Carlisle. I, im my little pickle, Privateer never stood a chance when I got ganked by 4-5 players regularly. I remember how proud I was when I got my first Snow, only to lose it as soon as I went out on a mission. I was about to jack the game in as I did no see the point on being fish food to people who didn't even fight 1 on 1.

Luckily for me I mt a guy who was the leader of a clan base in Concepcion and he recruited me to go down there away from Jamaica. I learned to sail and fight my ships. It was a good helpful clan, then we had a war with the Russians playing danish Nation for months. There were continuous skirmishes and PBs. I won some and lost more more, but had a great time. I left for about a year, came back and things had changed, stayed around for a while then left again. Interestingly during my return over 75% of my ship losses were when I was ganked by 3- 5 ship groups. Rarely was I attacked 1 on 1. That is not PvP, that is chickenshit ganking. Unless they were totally incompetent you were screwed

There were only a few players who were a plague in our area who hunted solo, Moscalb was one notable, I can't remember the other 3 names, but I had respect for them due to their skills. One guy, I think he was a Spanish player,  always hunted in a Snow and was a real bugger to catch. If they caught you, you did your best and tried to learn from what they did to you. On the British side I remember Banished Privateer who hunted solo, Gregory Rainsburrough and a few others also hunted solo. I have respect for those because of their skills. Players who gank noobs I have no time for.

• Like 6

Just now, victor said:

Point is that if too many will do this, this server will have troubles for low population.

Thats no point. PVE server would be high populated. People cant expect risk free on a pvp server. They negate themselve.