Game-Labs Forum

When enemy hits your mast...

Farrago

Question

5 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Farrago said:

When an enemy gets a mast hit (and does damage) does your sail percentage indicator go lower?

I'd suggest we need a mast health indicator.

There is no way to know if an enemy is penetrating or how much damage you have to masts. 

18 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Since we don't have any visual representation of damaged masts or rigging, then yes - everyone should see it. 

The problem is that it is already so easy to take masts, do we really want to make it easier by people knowing that they only need to hit a specific mast once more via the UI?

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

I would rather get rid of most UI data and transform it into a visual representation of damage, new damage model of ships etc. That would require a lot of work from Devs, but would be much more immersive, intuitive and less "look at numbers". The current problem with "demasting" is that even when you don't penetrate masts, hit counter registers. You might be shooting mast 50 times and it will never fall. Another issue is magic 100% mast HP recovery on repair instantly. Once these 2 things are fixed, we can talk further about ideas like yours.

Don't get me wrong, I personally prefer the current system of having to work out for yourself how much damage your masts have taken and having to "guess" whether or not you should repair rig, I would also prefer that knowing sail damage was purely a visual thing as well.(For both yourself and the enemy)  But I think in the current system we definitely need to keep track of enemy ship damage via UI as like you say, it would take quite a bit of work for the devs to change damage representation on ships.