Game-Labs Forum

Good reviews

When you think about it, this game just flat out punishes the PVE / Casual type of player.  They can't even kill AI outside their capital in safety anymore.  The battles stay open indefinitely so anyone can just jump in and gank them.  If you want to grind up you need to either be in a very remote spot on the map killing AI or you're stuck doing regular missions in the safe zone.  Not much variety.  It's a joke really how poor of a job this game does at trying to keep casuals interested in playing....all for the sake of the "hardcore PVP" crowd that refuse to fight each other and because the pop is dwindling so much, they HAVE to be able to hunt in the safe zones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, victor said:

you are an optimist, I think that they will never add new PVE content (but maybe I am a pessimist)

I'm 27.6% sure they will add more content someday which in game gets rounded up to 28% plus I have a few mods which would take it over 50% except for the hard caps on optimism. So I still doubt it as well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fox2run said:

To be casual means not having too much time to play.  To have some rewarding xp out of this game is hard.

PvP is hard to get as too few are online. It takes too much time to figure out where to find the enemy.

I remember many hours of wasted time sailing around, moving outpost etc to no avail.

This is the key to a larger player base. Not some UI.

Actually the ui buys time for them to put content into the game, just ask your selfs how inviting is the game when you log in right now? Truthfully it’s really not it’s about first impressions and right now it’s not great 

people who keep saying the ui is a waste are looking at everything from one side, all you guys are looking at it as long time player, think this way a bit,

let’s take the automotive industry is a great example of this let’s take a big selling vehicle in aus/nz the ford ranger the latest one around atm has one to two differences to the previous model it’s had a facelift and a slight change in steering from mechanical to electric it’s stays as the biggest selling utility vehicle and most of the changes are cosmetic so why does it work cause people think it’s fresh and new in actuall fact it’s the same running gear, same with the ui it will give the game a fresh new feel it’s false economy but it works and is proven to work,

I agree we need a bunch of content and whether we get it or not is up to the devs honestly feel they should leave pvp alone for a bit and give us some new pve and I’m a pvp player I only log into na to kill people or be killed simple,

I’m not saying the pvp is in a good place but it could be with more players and more players need pve as I stated already most people start out as pve just to get a feel and an understanding for the game and some of its mechanics 

same as the tutorial it’s a quality of life products that should be here already but hey there doing it now so it is what it is 

Edited by Rebrall
  • Like 1

The issues I always see and read are:

- I want everything in 5mins of gameplay

Then those people start to complain:

- The game is boring nothing to do.

Sure when you get everything in no time ... and yes you can get everything in no time. Tell me what's hard to get that would deny access to pvp? Mods? I am told many many times mods are not important... gold? The game throws gold at you with both hands... ships ? You can capture AI ships up to 5th rates should be enough to get pvp...

But what drives me mad are the people that try to tell me pvp is hard to find.

Grab a ship sail to patrol area and you get your fight. Especially when all people do so that want  quick fights. But instead they complain about the zones because fights are not at their terms. So when people write I can't find pvp they actual mean I don't find fights I can win easily.... 

Guys just start to ask devs to make it a single-player game so you can have your I win button. In a MP game not everyone can have it...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Sure when you get everything in no time ... and yes you can get everything in no time. Tell me what's hard to get that would deny access to pvp? Mods? I am told many many times mods are not important... gold? The game throws gold at you with both hands... ships ? You can capture AI ships up to 5th rates should be enough to get pvp...

Grab a ship sail to patrol area and you get your fight. Especially when all people do so that want  quick fights. But instead they complain about the zones because fights are not at their terms. So when people write I can't find pvp they actual mean I don't find fights I can win easily.... 

Guys just start to ask devs to make it a single-player game so you can have your I win button. In a MP game not everyone can have it...

Wrong, meaningful pvp is hard to find. I can go to any nations capital or skulk around a fp for generic pvp. Does that mean I want to? No. There needs to be fun meaningful gameplay attached to pvp like rvr. What point of all this map when 12% ever gets used.

That's why it's boring, pvp for the sake of pvp and marks. How frivelous.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

3 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Wrong, meaningful pvp is hard to find. I can go to any nations capital or skulk around a fp for generic pvp. Does that mean I want to? No. There needs to be fun meaningful gameplay attached to pvp like rvr. What point of all this map when 12% ever gets used

Neither of you are wrong tbh it’s a little hard to find pvp around my time the pop is low around 170ish but you can still find it but I really feel we need pve content and fast that’s whats gonna grow our pop right now 

8 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Wrong, meaningful pvp is hard to find. I can go to any nations capital or skulk around a fp for generic pvp. Does that mean I want to? No. There needs to be fun meaningful gameplay attached to pvp like rvr. What point of all this map when 12% ever gets used.

That's why it's boring, pvp for the sake of pvp and marks. How frivelous.

What's meaningful? Meaningful for you doesn't have to be the same for me. If people would actually try to tell what they want it would help a lot. But hiding real intentions behind cryptic words will not help.  Most people that use cryptic phases just want to hide their real intention: I want pvp that hurts the loser I want pvp that let's me dominate. I want to be the biggest asshole in the west Indies. I want other to feel bad because I am the conqueror. 

Is that what hides behind words like "meaningful" or serious pvp?

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

What's meaningful? Meaningful for you doesn't have to be the same for me. If people would actually try to tell what they want it would help a lot. But hiding real intentions behind cryptic words will not help.  Most people that use cryptic phases just want to hide their real intention: I want pvp that hurts the loser I want pvp that let's me dominate. I want to be the biggest asshole in the west Indies. I want other to feel bad because I am the conqueror. 

Is that what hides behind words like "meaningful" or serious pvp?

So we basically want the same thing. You want the loser to feel the loss and of course feel your pvp prowice.  People who ask for "meaningful" pvp want the same thing but facilitated intentionally by the devs hands. Look where completely free market pvp has turned into, capital ganks and safezone hunting. So bad we needed to add the pvp zones as a bandaid.

I could think of many ways to facilitate organization and promote pvp around the map with certain objects and various rewards, it's just that THAT specific tree has yet to sprout and it might after Ui/tutorial, who knows what the devs have in mind but there are very clear goals that should be set after with the intention of making the map more vibrant and interesting, small and large activities and dynamic systems of missioning and objectives. It's been years of free market pvp and it's been mildly destructive to put it fairly.

Each captain is the Navy Board, the Merchantile Navy, the Admiralty and the Navy on its own. Ranks are all given by meaningless actions and are granted to be on full release without the need to go through the navy academy exams.

Meaningful dynamic pvp wargame... is meaningless.

It has its appeal, for the pure combat. That's all. No simulation of CinC, resources, tactical level and even strategical level,  just dogfight awesomesauce. Each captain is a fortress, needs no one, a doctrine of SP ruling the MP in a nutshell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, z4ys said:

I want pvp that hurts the loser I want pvp that let's me dominate. I want to be the biggest asshole in the west Indies. I want other to feel bad because I am the conqueror. 

Want sincerity?

Ok, so let's be sincere, mate ...

Your attitude is killing this game.

So for me you can take your inflated little ego and ... well ... make and educated guess about the possible uses that I am thinking about

Edited by victor

3 minutes ago, victor said:

So let's be sincere, mate ...

this attitude is killing the game.

So for me you can take your inflated little ego and ... well ... make and educated guess about the use that I am imagining

Edited by Jean Ribault

1 minute ago, Jean Ribault said:

Personal attacks are against forum rules.  Control your behavior or stop posting.  Where does my ego have anything to do with this post?  On the other hand your condescending remark towards me indicates something of yourself.

oh no, I did not tell anything ... it's you that are imaginging something bad. 

Besides I was anwering to someone else (look the quote), but that's a detail.

Edited by victor

Just now, victor said:

oh no, I did not tell anything ... it's you that are imaginging something bad. 

I took your response as to MY post.  I will delete mine then.  It still was a personal attack, but I apologize I thought you directed it at me. 

3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I took your response as to MY post.  I will delete mine then.  It still was a personal attack, but I apologize I thought you directed it at me. 

Yet it was an attack to the attitude of a certain category of players that is destroying this game.

I'm fed up about people saying "carebear" "go to PVE server" and then population is sinking once more. They are free to shittalk about casual players - with direct attacks - so why should they be immune?

Edited by victor

I've not left a review - mainly due to the game still being early access - but I must admit, while I"m happy to say I've got my moneys worth from the game, I'm not sure what the game is becoming.  Would I recommend the game to another person - sadly, probably not.

There is no end game, no seasons, no reset.  Crafting/trading is broken, PvP is invariably ganking.  Port timers placed WAY outside most the the players waking hours cripple the fun.  Missions drop in awful places - but you can't reroll them.  Plus you have to wait and wait for everything - labor hours, towing a ship (5 minutes) - inordinately long trade runs.  Nearly everyone is a top rank admiral.  The game is more about the upgrades you collect these days - the top players would win in most ships - any yet they are not only good, they have far superior ships as well making many of them invincible.

The only way to get many of the desirable upgrades is to run hour upon hour of PvE - this is for a game that claims to be MMO PvP.  What portion of the 8,000+ hours I've played has been PvP?  I doubt if it is more than 5% of the total playing time.

• Like 1

Well, my post above was an indication of the latest trends, and actually it is disheartening.  I can't imagine that it is ALL players' and their attitudes' faults ?  Seems to be what your post implies, so still I disagree with you even if you directed that at others.

EDIT to add:  I am considered a carebear by those that throw the term around, but if/when I quit that won't be the reason.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Just now, Jean Ribault said:

Well, my post above was an indication of the latest trends, and actually it is disheartening.  I can't imagine that it is ALL players' and their attitudes' faults ?  Seems to be what your post implies, so still I disagree with you even if you directed that at others.

Of course the fault is in a development that listens to such minority. But I made up my mind quite some time ago about the actual reasons why Devs are going this path. So basically I'm angry about the players that do not realize what's going on.

But hey ... who cares. It's just a wasted occasion. Not the first not the last in gaming industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victor said:

Of course the fault is in a development that listens to such minority. But I made up my mind quite some time ago about the actual reasons why Devs are going this path. So basically I'm angry about the players that do not realize what's going on.

But hey ... who cares. It's just a wasted occasion. Not the first not the last in gaming industry.

I think now we agree.

16 minutes ago, victor said:

Want sincerity?

Ok, so let's be sincere, mate ...

Your attitude is killing this game.

So for me you can take your inflated little ego and ... well ... make and educated guess about the possible uses that I am thinking about

You are aware that refered to the overall mentality in this game? That people say i want that feature but actuall its just a feature to show that they are the biggest and the best? :D