Game-Labs Forum

Trincomalee vs Endymion

Njord

Question

I am planning on building a load of either one to hopefully get some good bonus trim on a few but can't decide between the two. I would appreciate some of the more skilled / experienced PvP players among you to share your knowledge and explain the pros and cons of each compared to the other and let me know which one you prefer and why. Also if there is another frigate I should consider, let me know please.

Thank you, captains.

9 answers to this question

Both :) 

Trinco: More responsive ship, better turning and tacking. Needs getting used to but once mastered she is the best ship in game imo.

Endy: Better at tanking/bouncing and better close hauled. has stern chasers :) 

I would say both ships are good but personally I prefer the trinco because its my ship since release. 

Test them yourself and find out!

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 5

Hachi is correct. A recommendation: try both with carronades on the top deck. Methinks the Trinc got some more HP but the Endy counters it by better hull shape. Endy's turn rate got buffed a while ago so one more reason to try her. 

Personally as Hachi I prefer the Trinc. For the OW there is no alternative in this class. Pirate Frig is too small and not good enough close hauled. Essex lacks chasers and fire power. Indefatigable is very bad closed hauled and has serious crew issues (well actually they all have that^^)Though I never really sailed her a lot. Methinks @EliteDelta sails the Indef. 

Edit regarding Ahoy Mateys comment: the more experienced you get on those ships the more can you cover their weaknesses. As basically on every ship. Never sank due to leaks on the Trinc.

Edited by Palatinose
  • Like 1

I prefer Endymion for the 24pd longs to demast at further ranges. Also you can demast first rates (had some fun in that battle, hehe) from reasonable range if they don't buff their masts, something the Trinc's 18pd guns may have more trouble with. Also I like the Endymion's stern guns for when you have to run :). That being said, Endymion is pretty squishy compared to some other 5th rates--you have to be careful about taking hits--so maximize your hull shape advantage and get some angles to bounce shots (as you always should).

Trincomalee is also quite nice. Handling is overall better than Endymion, and the four bow chasers are certainly nice. However the lack of stern guns can be concerning if you are trying to run from a ship(s) that is nearly as fast as you. The 18s on the Trincomalee are nice for brawling, but they seem lack the pen to fight at longer ranges (not always important, just depends on your fighting style). 

Really, you should try both and see which one suits your style better. I like both ships, but if I could only have one, it would be my Endymion. I don't sail a fir/fir one, but I am fairly confident that I can always outrun the ships I can't outfight...I can't say the same for too many other 5th rates I've sailed.

• Like 1

As soon as I reach the necessary rank for recruiting enough crew, my ship of choice will be the Endymion. Until then, I have to annoy Merewether and Nethro with a Prince of Neufchatel, like yesterday. One of them sunk, other only escaped due to massive repair efforts.

Have to admit, most of the work was done by my ally (think Lisa was sailing a Trincomalee). :ph34r: