Game-Labs Forum

Tooltip on loading screens

From playing WOWS and WOT there is a really good tip to take from that game helping players how the mechanics work on the loading screens.

Instead of having the pretty pictures you could simply have some kind of tool tip showing cannons bounce when there is enough angle or that heeling makes you more vulnerable to leaks, or how to boarding works on the loading screen, small things like this would be not only helpful for totally new players but maybe even players that haven't thought of the same before. Brace comes to mind, aswell as tacking the right way etc etc.

I mean this could really work for everyone and it will be helpful, and its even during a time in the game where you dont do anything but wait anyway

13 hours ago, Cornelius Trash said:

What, I like the naval variants of pop culture references it has now.

it does not have enough.. but some tips could be added of course.

Please propose
References ideas
Tips ideas

• Like 3

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy"

"The business of any Commander being first to bring an Enemy's Fleet to Battle, on the most advantageous terms to himself and secondly, to continue without separating, until the business is decided."

"The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest"

Some Horatio Nelson quotes that fit very well a bit cryptic maybe but ... :D

Edited by z4ys

6 minutes ago, Roronoa said:

This

Manual_Sails.gif.81298bdbfa781bd08fc1f2832c8fd6cf.gif

without any knowledge people will not understand what is displayed here. Loadingscreen tooltips should give basic ideas like you would teach a child. Ingame tutorial should go further and teach the child to be a grown up.

But for fun it would be nice to add this as loading indicator when going to ow from port or entering battle loading screen.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, z4ys said:

without any knowledge people will not understand what is displayed here. Loadingscreen tooltips should give basic ideas like you would teach a child. Ingame tutorial should go further and teach the child to be a grown up.

But for fun it would be nice to add this as loading indicator when going to ow from port or entering battle loading screen.

I agree but some simple diagrams might help :) Displaying simple shit. Like downwind, upwind, different names for sailing angles. Close haul, Beam reach etc etc.

Maybe dropping in Tips for other sailing terms would be good.

For example

"Passing ones stern through the Wind is considered the art of Jibing"

Edited by Capt Trashal Early

1 minute ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

"Passing ones stern through the Wind is considered the art of Jibing"

In my opinion such phrases arent helpfull. They sound nice but majority will not understand. Personally I dont like help phrases that include nautical terms. Most of the time they arent helpfull especially they are strange even in your own language now consider that it might be in a foreign language.

Tooltips should explain stuff with a bare minimiun of nautical terms.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

Regarding 14. isnt it discribing a relative position? I would add 2 ships and call the positions relative to the wind and the other ship upwind or downwind.

9 minutes ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

Should also have a image attached showing the stern going through the wind :)

I think there incredibly useful. Once this game contains multiple languages terms like that should be displayed in different languages.

sure but like I said even in your own language nautical terms act as foreign language. And they are not necessary. For example rediiis 1. I would rewrite as.

"For turning the ship through the wind a maneuver called tacking, remember to turn your rudder the other way..."

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

Whats the point in a historical naval game if were not gonna drop some scene setting in with naval terms of the era?

they arent helpfull in the first place. A help phrase shouldnt explain stuff by using a nautical term to discirbe something.

"Tacking is called a maneuver when the front called bow of a ship goes through the wind direction." -helpfull

"tacking a ship" - not helpfull

both mean the same. You get what i mean?

Edited by z4ys

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

If someone is talking with me nautical terms I have no idea what he is talking about and tell him to talk wigh me in german/ english.

You cant expect every new player to learn terms first. 

Its basicly a question how you wanna use loadingscreens ... for scenery with a nice sentence (like now) or for tipps and tricks in the game

It can be more than one thing? Everyone watches loading screens every day. The possibilities are endless.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

they arent helpfull in the first place. A help phrase shouldnt explain stuff by using a nautical term to discirbe something.

"Tacking is called maneuver where the front called bow of a ship goes through the wind direction." -helpfull

"tacking a ship" - not helpfull

both mean the same. You get what i mean?

I understand what you mean and i'm suggesting that the terms are explained. Which aka is helpful and extends peoples knowledge of a topic while they play and use the knowledge. Some games use loading screens to teach players setting, history and use quotes to inspire. There is no reason the game cant contain all of these things, Tutorial tips, hints, cool pictures that help people learn, interesting extended knowledge like naval terms. Wouldn't you find it interesting to read something different every time that's aimed towards all different levels of expertise and players from beginners to seasoned vets.

Text in terms of data is nothing. There's no reason why the loading screen couldn't call on thousands of sentences/statements.

• Like 2

I am all for historical or nautical terms. Games are part of our culture now and can/should also be educational. We all should take the chance to learn something :D

A list with keywords and their meaning could be placed somewhere in the menu or the tutorial or maybe the word in question could be described directly below the tooltip. In almost every game you have to learn new terms or you automatically learn them over the time you play it. If I had no knowledge about Dota I wouldn't understand a thing if I would listen to a conversation about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cecil Selous said:

I am all for historical or nautical terms. Games are part of our culture now and can/should also be educational. We all should take the chance to learn something :D

A list with keywords and their meaning could be placed somewhere in the menu or the tutorial or maybe the word in question could be described directly below the tooltip. In almost every game you have to learn new terms or you automatically learn them over the time you play it. If I had no knowledge about Dota I wouldn't understand a thing if I would listen to a conversation about it. 

My point exactly. Education is important across all media.