Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Chain shot limitations - advanced warning

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Wyy said:

every player can demast, they just have to learn it

So you wish to replace chaining with demasting? Then just remove chaining all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

'Its a sandbox - limiting stuff so you fight how i want it to be' makes me think.

sorry but this this sandbox argument does not really work. We have many things that are not sandboxey.. For example there is no death, or there is a magic wallet for your gold (real captains carried gold in a chest that could be lost)
so limiting chain to historical numbers by design is totally fine.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

You posted more BS than any other player. That's about it.

I'm sorry, but if you have nothing smart to add, remain silent and stop insulting. Maybe @Lars Kjaer will calm you down. Players from Prussia can confirm my claims about Epic Events, I've been doing them since Devs added them to the game, just ask:

@Vile Executioner @Mikocen @vazco @Wyy @Tutanxamon or anyone else that has done them with me.

Edited by Banished Privateer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited chain and maybe even limited grape is the final icing on the cake perfecting our amazing  combat model. Of course it will be paired with damage changes and repair tuning.

Captains asking the question "why do you keep tuning numbers in database instead of working on other things" should remember that changing numbers do not require programmers. Our huge team of 2 programmers is super busy with tutorial and ui.

sounds good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repairs should never bring a ship back to full health.  Each repair should only return 50% of the lost hull/rig/crew.  

Increasing the weight of repair - esp. Rum may help avoid the never ending battles.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ElricTheTwo said:

Repairs should never bring a ship back to full health.  Each repair should only return 50% of the lost hull/rig/crew.  

Increasing the weight of repair - esp. Rum may help avoid the never ending battles.

can you please post a video of a neverending battle. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin said:

can you please post a video of a neverending battle. 

 

I have been in several battles recently that have gone on for more than 5-6 hours across multiple tags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kutai said:

I have been in several battles recently that have gone on for more than 5-6 hours across multiple tags. 

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  I will gladly check the video. 

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

  • Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

So for the experienced PvP players you'll now be safe from de-sailing, but for the inexperienced PvP players you know have no means to counter mast-sniping.. Are we going to see a limitation on balls as well? Otherwise this change favours only the select few that has all the knowledge slots and the best upgrades.. Mast upgrades - here I come!

This won't do anything good for the playerbase, this will be a final nail in a casual players PvP coffin..

And now casuals will have to spend a perk to use their only defence against an experienced PvP player??

Edited by Lars Kjaer
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, admin said:

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

Where do you get your data from? The vast majority of battles that I have been in over the last few weeks have lasted either close to the timer, or past it. I would be very interested to see these stats that you speak of. I am sure everyone would be. 

 

The main reason for long battles tends to be when one side is in faster ships and will kite/fight. 

Edited by Kutai
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never ending battles happen when:

1) One side has ships waiting outside arround to attack enemy that is running away (increase OW speed boost time to fix it)

2) When one or both sides keep sending more ships and reinforcements to the battle location for next battle (remove F11 coords might help this partially)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lars Kjaer said:

So for the experienced PvP players you'll now be safe from de-sailing, but for the inexperienced PvP players you know have no means to counter mast-sniping.. Are we going to see a limitation on balls as well? Otherwise this change favours only the select few that has all the knowledge slots and the best upgrades.. Mast upgrades - here I come!

This won't do anything good for the playerbase, this will be a final nail in a casual players PvP coffin..

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, admin said:

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  I will gladly check the video. 

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

Problem is admin no one records boring long videos :P All the quick battles are RVR based battles and well worth recording. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

You can cater for the 2% crowd as much as you want but your game is dead then.

http://steamcharts.com/app/311310

How many DLCs are you going to try sell to the same 25-50 people and their alts?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice update, but its bad for me, I like getting chained, I just go battle sails and rinse their hull, this means they will sink me instead of chaining me and getting nice and close.

also people stop saying speed is everything plz, I mean cmon, fast ships are only good for chasing (not to mention the sacrifice on everything else for a little speed), let them come, unless you hachi

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kutai said:

Where do you get your data from?

I am sure you can guess... maybe our servers could hold this answer?? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, admin said:

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

So how low do we want the player numbers? As it is it is not a SKILL based game but a game where the battles are decided by: Shipwoods, upgrades and knowledge slots in that order. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I'm sorry, but if you have nothing smart to add, remain silent and stop insulting. Maybe @Lars Kjaer will calm you down. Players from Prussia can confirm my claims about Epic Events, I've been doing them since Devs added them to the game, just ask:.

I get that you got the stuff you need. And the less the plebs have the better your chance is to kill them. I mean you can only win certain ways and if the game go that way its fine. But then the amount of players left will be very small.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, admin said:

so limiting chain to historical numbers by design is totally fine.

But ships repairing from 10% hp to 100 in 30-40 min at sea is? 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, admin said:

Casual PVP? Naval action is not a casual game. In fact we always said IT IS NOT CASUAL. 
Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

Naval action has been to casual for my taste lately. There is nothing hardcore about it. 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin said:

I am sure you can guess... maybe our servers could hold this answer?? 

not really servers also record pve battles plus battles where gankers attack new players yes they give you a picture but for acurate one you need people in game to report this things.

As for claiming Naval action is realistic is far fecht plus its going away from realism

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

Increasing the weight of repair - esp. Rum may help avoid the never ending battles.

Doesn’t work. Forces people to dock more often. That is tedious. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×