Game-Labs Forum

Chain shot limitations - advanced warning

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited chain and limited grape is the best thing that will happen to the combat model. Of course it will be paired with damage changes and repair tuning.

Captains asking the question "why do you keep tuning numbers in database instead of working on other things" should remember that changing numbers do not require programmers. Our huge team of 2 programmers is super busy with tutorial and ui. 

Any ETA of this big patch?

Well for me they can do what they want with this. dosen't realy care. They have changed soe many things about ship, One more won't make a different. I just would like them focusing on what matters, and this change are not doing anything for the game. Stop wasting time and spend it on things that matter for the gameplay.

• Like 2

Sounds interesting!

Limiting stuff allow us to test and adapt tactics and play styles.

I still think that repairs need to increase in weight as a trading ship will fill its hull to the max of cargo capacity with decreased speed as a disadvantage but a combat ship can carry huge amounts of repairs and lose very little speed. And still have loads of cargo space over....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

That sounds very Trumpian. I'd have to probe a little further, if you're going to limit ammunition why not just do it to all types?  And if the answer is because that's not fun, then you have to ask yourself why would limiting two ammo types but leaving ball unlimited make it more fun?  Doesn't this imbalance the game even more towards a single ship build, single strategy, one meta to rule them all?  I really am confused as to what brought this about?  One Tribunal post about a griefer who does nothing but chains all day?  

Sigh.

Bring more friends = more chain :D lol

"Iam out of chain and grape next one can take over" :D

Will be called chain chaining

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

Did the demasting crowd whine directly since we now get this? can we get some kind of limited demasting too then? A couple of top masts and then no more?

This is another change that will just kill the game further.

What about limits on canon balls too? Lets use the cargo capacity for it.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Wording
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

The only thing I'm concerned about is we try once demasting NPC tactic, they seem to have platinium masts with 200cm mast thickness of every section... 6 1st rates shooting at masts for 10 mins did nothing. We tried "chain" tactic and results were that it might be easier to fight NPC but it takes about 30-40 more minutes to finish Epic Event. 

Have you done one recently? Since they upped the damage and speed of the ships? At 65% sails they still do 12 Knts. So you will have 9 Epic First rate ships on top of you within a few minutes if you try to fight. They also have a tendency to demast you now. 

Edited by Kutai

17 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

'Its a sandbox - limiting stuff so you fight how i want it to be' makes me think.

sorry but this this sandbox argument does not really work. We have many things that are not sandboxey.. For example there is no death, or there is a magic wallet for your gold (real captains carried gold in a chest that could be lost)
so limiting chain to historical numbers by design is totally fine.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited chain and maybe even limited grape is the final icing on the cake perfecting our amazing  combat model. Of course it will be paired with damage changes and repair tuning.

Captains asking the question "why do you keep tuning numbers in database instead of working on other things" should remember that changing numbers do not require programmers. Our huge team of 2 programmers is super busy with tutorial and ui.

sounds good

1 minute ago, ElricTheTwo said:

Repairs should never bring a ship back to full health.  Each repair should only return 50% of the lost hull/rig/crew.  

Increasing the weight of repair - esp. Rum may help avoid the never ending battles.

can you please post a video of a neverending battle. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kutai said:

I have been in several battles recently that have gone on for more than 5-6 hours across multiple tags. 

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  I will gladly check the video. 

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

So for the experienced PvP players you'll now be safe from de-sailing, but for the inexperienced PvP players you know have no means to counter mast-sniping.. Are we going to see a limitation on balls as well? Otherwise this change favours only the select few that has all the knowledge slots and the best upgrades.. Mast upgrades - here I come!

This won't do anything good for the playerbase, this will be a final nail in a casual players PvP coffin..

And now casuals will have to spend a perk to use their only defence against an experienced PvP player??

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Video of at least one of them? 
Maybe i am wrong and video will prove me wrong. But data shows that majority of battles end  pretty fast
there only reason for a long battle is when both sides are extremely passive, or extremely accurate and skilled. Being passive is and was discouraged historically as it always led to indecisive battles .  

You are KOTO right? Whenever i see your battles on the streams they always end up with full or partial annihilation of one of the sides.
PS. Patrol battles always end with death. 

Where do you get your data from? The vast majority of battles that I have been in over the last few weeks have lasted either close to the timer, or past it. I would be very interested to see these stats that you speak of. I am sure everyone would be. 

The main reason for long battles tends to be when one side is in faster ships and will kite/fight. 

Edited by Kutai
  • Like 2