Game-Labs Forum

Now a completely serious suggestion!

The PvP leaderboard grants nothing but bragging rights and even having those time and time again gets a bit tedious so why not provide an incentive for getting on there? Then it would be a genuine competition which would encourage people to go out and try and get as high up as possible.

1st place - Epic Chest

2nd and 3rd place - Gold Chest

4th and below - Silver Chest

Let's face it it's a lot harder getting up to the top of the leaderboard than the Epic Events, which 6 competent players can smash out in quick succession one after another. Incentivising OW PvP in an indirect way would I believe be a genuine method of encouraging people to go out and solo raid because lets face it, gank fleets have to share out their PvP marks.

More people out solo raiding on their own = more "content"

It would also give those people an opportunity who do not do epic events to gain some of their rewards. It would add a PvP equivalent to the Epic Event.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 13

I agree that there should be some exclusivity, but maybe a better implementation is to expand PvP rewards store in admiralty?
I think it is better to just give an option to buy content in the admiralty instead of giving them out only for the first place. (first place winner will still be able to buy it)

• Like 20

Now that NAL is cancelled .. What about a permanent leaderboard? See what captain sailed what ship how often, time spent in it, what kills he got in it, how often he was sunk... and most importantly show in what odds he got the kills so we can all see the great gankers :D

Edited by Liq
  • Like 16

15 minutes ago, admin said:

I agree that there should be some exclusivity, but maybe a better implementation is to expand PvP rewards store in admiralty?
I think it is better to just give an option to buy content in the admiralty instead of giving them out only for the first place.

I agree completely, good Sir. And although I like and support suggestions that encourage and promote PvP, I think giving only the top players rewards isn't the way to go, since what we need is more casuals doing PvP. The same people that are on the leaderboard every other day do not need to be boosted even further, since they make ridiculous amounts of gold and marks already ( I have nothing but respect for those highly skilled players as long as they try to pick on enemies of their calibre! ).

Expending the PvP rewards in admiralty store is definitely the better way to go and caters to the average player.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Suricato Rojo said:

We should avoid making bigger the ugrades/books/gear gap between regular/casual players and top players. 
Right now its almost imposible for a regular player beat a top player, because he not only has less experience, but has a much worst gear to fight (or escape) with.

Sorry to say but its a Developer directive to make a top player with top mods be able to defeat a fleet of average players....so sorry to say but that gap will more than likely become even bigger...(refer to previous post by Devs confirming this, sorry I don't have the link)

Edited by Sir William Hargood
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Sorry to say but its a Developer directive to make a top player with top mods be able to defeat a fleet of average players....so sorry to say but that gap will more than likely become even bigger...(refer to previous post by Devs confirming this, sorry I don't have the link)

Im sorry to say that if this happends eventually there will be no preys to hunt in OW.

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

Its not a modulegap we have (or not only) its also a huge skillgap.

If so, level the playing field...remove all mods and upgrades. Or reduce their impact drastically. I have seen ships repair to a level nothing short of miraculous...it simply reduces realism...sorry to say...you cannot deny the huge impact epic skill books or modules have on the game...and the top players know this...

• Like 4

I am by no means the best at PvP I have good and bad days tbh. I have lost ships with awesome upgrades to average players and I've also beaten good players in ships with shit upgrades.

It's NOT modules that make the difference it's how YOU and the ENEMY perform in that battle.

When you die (yes its inevitable at some point or another) blaming upgrades is the easiest excuse but really you should be analysing what went wrong and what mistakes got you killed then what to do to avoid that situation or to counter it. If you continue to blame upgrades YOU will never learn and never improve.

I blamed modules for a long time now I don't have the FEAR I just go out and try to learn and if when you analyse the battle and you can see &think there was nothing I could have done better then maybe just maybe it was the modules. Or a better player

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

If so, level the playing field...remove all mods and upgrades. Or reduce their impact drastically. I have seen ships repair to a level nothing short of miraculous...it simply reduces realism...sorry to say...you cannot deny the huge impact epic skill books or modules have on the game...and the top players know this...

couldn't agree more

The big danger with adding more rewards for players doing well is that the gear gap will continue to grow - also increasing the gear fear for players who aren't one of the top x%

The difficulty curve would probably also continue to get worse, there needs to be some sort of mechanic to make it harder for those doing well (in PvP) and easing newer players into PvP without them being target number one every single time.

- It's been suggested a few times by other people but how about a PvP 'score/infamy/level' system which would then affect how many PvP marks are given by sinking that person. A player with 0 PvP score might be worth 10/25/50% of normal while certain players who have been roaming solo for a couple of years would be worth much more and be more of a target rather than being avoided?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Liq said:

Now that NAL is cancelled .. What about a permanent leaderboard? See what captain sailed what ship how often, time spent in it, what kills he got in it, how often he was sunk... and most importantly show in what odds he got the kills so we can all see the great gankers :D

now you sound like WorldOfTanks;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Blaming books and upgrades for your ability to fight is just an excuse used by bad players.

They're fast? Well, build a fast ship then rather than sailing a tank.

Blaming players to be bad just make them leave. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rediii said:

I sailed a pavel with 1 knowledge in the battle vs france 2 days ago.

In Samana PB I sailed with 1 knowledge

etc. pp.

Pve players get the good stuff and fast k owledge, pvp players dont

I really got bored of "I SAILED ..., I DID, I COMMANDED, I..,I...,I.............................."

I really do not care about YOU, what you can do, how great you are (You here, refers to many players not only you)

My question is. there are 2 skilled players, they are twins, they are same, they have 3000 hours in the game, 500 pvp victories,...

So, 1 has all the epic stuff, skill books, gold ship, the other has 3/5 ship with some normal books and upgrades, who will win ? Everybody with more than 500 hours with some pvp experience nows the ANSWER, so please stop this I DID THIS so they can... ,

Edited by AeRoTR

1 minute ago, AeRoTR said:

I really got bored of "I SAILED ..., I DID, I COMMANDED, I..,I...,I.............................."

I really do not care about YOU, what you can do, how great you are (You here, refers to many players not only you)

My question is. there are 2 skilled players, they are twins, they are same, they have 3000 hours in the game, 500 pvp victories,...

So, 1 has all the epic stuff, skill books, gold ship, the other has 3/5 ship with some normal books and upgrades, who will win ? Everybody with more than 500 hours with some pvp experience nows the ANSWER, so please stop this I DID THIS so they can... ,

I had a duel with a guy yesterday, similar hours, same build, same everything. He still lost. By your logic it should have been a draw.

• Like 2

Player A is 10 hours a day online and at the top of the leaderboard with lets say 8 kills (0,8 kills per hour)

Player B is 1 hour a day online and nowhere to see at leaderboard with lets say 1 kill (1 kill per hour)

Player A get rewards, Player B not. Player A is also in a clan spending him a lot of ships so he can sail the next battle after the previous one and Player B is a lone wolf need to spend time shipping materials and build new ships by himself. So .. Leaderboards rewards are for spending time in pvp. A Player who play this game mostly in the evening only, the leaderboard is something far away and unreachable. For this player such a leaderboard reward isn't an incentive to do more pvp and go out, since he can't do enough, whatever he do. Also I see nearly the same names at leaderboard most times, wich means rewards would go to a few people only.

Leaderboard rewards fair or not? Decide by yourself.

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

But they are bad... Lying to them isn't going to make them better players either.

Then ask yourself this: how can we keep bad players in the game? An average player would loose every second battle. A below average will win maybe 1:3. Etc.

The goal must be that each player is capable of loosing one-two fights every day and still be in the game. 

This should enhance PvP. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Blaming players to be bad just make them leave. 

At the end of the story that's what they really will get.

Odds is that this will make them scream even louder about the lack of PVP and ... asking for more hardcore gameplay to solve the problem.

It's easy to see the point ... but they simply prefer ignore it since they like so much playing the part of the elite players in a desert game, cause ... hey ... they are the elite.

And this is ok with the devs too: they have sold 100.000 copies of the game and - therefore - already made their fair amount of good money. Nowdays, to please the egoes a small club of players costs far less investments in programming and far less money than to build up and keep running a great MMO with a big population.

So I guess that is what the future will bring to this game.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, victor said:

At the end of the story that's what they really will get.

Odds is that this will make them scream even louder about the lack of PVP and ... asking for more hardcore gameplay to solve the problem.

It's easy to see the point ... but they simply prefer ignore it since they like so much playing the part of the elite players in a desert game, cause ... hey ... they are the elite.

And this is ok with devs: to please the egoes a small club of players costs far less investments in programming than to build up and keep running a great MMO with a big population. So I guess that is what the future will bring to this game.

Spot on!

21 minutes ago, Sven Silberbart said:

Player A is 10 hours a day online and at the top of the leaderboard with lets say 8 kills (0,8 kills per hour)

Player B is 1 hour a day online and nowhere to see at leaderboard with lets say 1 kill (1 kill per hour)

Player A get rewards, Player B not. Player A is also in a clan spending him a lot of ships so he can sail the next battle after the previous one and Player B is a lone wolf need to spend time shipping materials and build new ships by himself. So .. Leaderboards rewards are for spending time in pvp. A Player who play this game mostly in the evening only, the leaderboard is something far away and unreachable. For this player such a leaderboard reward isn't an incentive to do more pvp and go out, since he can't do enough, whatever he do. Also I see nearly the same names at leaderboard most times, wich means rewards would go to a few people only.

Leaderboard rewards fair or not? Decide by yourself.

Who cares about whether or not it is fair? We should be incentivising those who do well. Each person is in the position they're in in this game because of choice.

18 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Then ask yourself this: how can we keep bad players in the game? An average player would loose every second battle. A below average will win maybe 1:3. Etc.

The goal must be that each player is capable of loosing one-two fights every day and still be in the game. 

This should enhance PvP. 

That's what your statement reminded me of.

Bad players will always leave the game so I don't see why everyone should be punished to keep them here.