Game-Labs Forum

Command points vs. efficiency

Shigemori

Question

Some time ago I wrote a guide about the assignment of officers (link) based on the assumption that the command points a officer provides must be sufficient to the unit size. If not there is a penalty on efficiency  and the tooltip states in red that the rank of the officer is to small for the unit. But there and then I read that you should have more command points than efficiency or the efficiency is caped by the command points what from my side seems not very intuitive. For example a 100 men sharpshooter unit with 3* would need a general major as brigade commander if the efficiency should not be caped while I think a mere captain would suffice for such a small unit.

So what is true? My assumption? Or is the efficiency caped by command points? Or perhaps both? And please name a viable source and not that another player wrote this in a forum cause he read this in another forum?

3 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Shigemori said:

For example a 100 men sharpshooter unit with 3* would need a general major as brigade commander if the efficiency should not be caped while I think a mere captain would suffice for such a small unit.

Though not directly applicable to your question, remember that the command points you see listed are not just the command points of the Captain you want to put in charge. They also include command points from the Divisional Commander. Though I am unaware of the formula of how much the Divisional Commander contributes, when he gets killed in battle you can look at his brigades and you will see a red bar indicating the command points lost due to his death. My "guess" is that is somewhere around 20-30 percent of the total based on how senior an officer he was.

While I agree that a Captain should be able to command a unit of 100 men (and indeed he can in the game) when looking at command points think more "experience" than rank. A Captain is, therefore, very inexperienced and his lack of experience would be squandered on an elite unit. As such, as an officer gains more experience the bar under his name increases. That bar has nothing to do with rank and everything to do with experience and as that bar increases so will his command points.

Thanks for your replies. Mentioning the manual was the key. I found those two quotes:

The Command level depends  from  the  experience  of  the  unit  officer  and  his  leading  Division commander.  Command level  affects  the  efficiency  according  to  size  of  unit.  Bigger  units need  high  rank  leaders  to  operate  on  maximum  efficiency. If  the brigade’s officer  or  his division  commander  become  casualties  during  combat,  the  command  level  will  be  reduced and  the  unit  will  receive  severe  penalty  in  efficiency.

Efficiency  levels  up  by  making  kills  and  directly  improves  shooting,  reload  speed  and  melee strength.  The  largest  possible  efficiency  is  achieved  according  to  the Command level of  the unit.

So if I understand this correct, efficiency is not capped by the command points, but if you do not have enough command points for the unit size you get a penalty on efficiency. My assumption seems to be correct.

For the example of a skirmisher unit: A maxed out 500 men skirmisher unit needs 45 command points to function without penalty. So a Lt. Colonel (20 command points) would suffice if a general major (25 command points) is leading the division.