Game-Labs Forum

PvP marks should they be scaled

So are PvP marks rewards ok as they are??

Or do you think that the greater the risk the greater the rewards..

So for example I kill a 2nd rate in my 5th rate reward 16 PvP marks.

Yet if I sink same 2nd rate in a 1st rate 16 PvP marks.

I think that the guy in the 5th rate deserves a higher reward then the guy in the 1st rate. (Discuss)

Also may encourage more solo or smaller open world patrols. 

• Like 2

In my opinion its fine if you get the same amount of PvP marks no matter that you sunk 2nd rate in Frigate or Victory. However i would love to see less PvP marks as a reward if you had for example 2:1 BR advatage or more.

Edited by Mikocen
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Mikocen said:

In my opinion its fine if you get the same amount of PvP marks no matter that you sunk 2nd rate in Frigate or Victory. However i would love to see less PvP marks as a reward if you had for example 2:1 BR advatage or more.

I doubt this will discourage ganking. Why would I take the chance of a 1:1 ratio and losing my ship for a few more marks? Unless I have misinterpreted the value of pvp marks, it takes quite a few to offset a well built ships value.

Of course even BR fights are the most enjoyable but PB's are the only real place to find them and players fight those for reasons other than pvp marks.

For this to worked as intended, the reduction in marks would be so great that no one would sail in fleets anymore. And fleet on fleet fights are the best kind of fights imo.

10 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Of course even BR fights are the most enjoyable [...]

For this to worked as intended, the reduction in marks would be so great that no one would sail in fleets anymore. [...]

You contradict yourself in those two paragraphs. WO and even fights...:rolleyes:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

BR when ? Start tag ? late join ? battle end ? ship to ship ? damage threshold comparison to own ship ? what BR ?

So far admin hasn't expressed interest, but here's one way of doing that:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

PvP marks should be removed from the game, unless they're used purely for cosmetic/aesthetic perks. Too much bad behavior is generated by this type of reward system and the benefits it confers (see vast majority of Tribunals over the last six months dealing with alt farming, the ridiculous desire to sink ships instead of capture them just for the marks, etc.).

I fail to understand people who profess to only play the game for PvP who need some kind of incentive to do such a thing.  Personally, I play the game, and enjoy PvP purely for the challenge and the knowledge that I've won, or been beaten and learned something from it. I don't need a merit badge for doing it, nor should winning confer the means to keep winning (which incentivizes two things: cheating or quitting).

Yea it kills me when we have to sink a 1st rate for hello kittying marks.  I feel like I've enjoyed the game less since the switch to marks and the need to sink, not capture everything was removed.  Nelson didn't need PVP marks, neither do we.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

PvP marks should be removed from the game, unless they're used purely for cosmetic/aesthetic perks. Too much bad behavior is generated by this type of reward system and the benefits it confers (see vast majority of Tribunals over the last six months dealing with alt farming, the ridiculous desire to sink ships instead of capture them just for the marks, etc.).

I fail to understand people who profess to only play the game for PvP who need some kind of incentive to do such a thing.  Personally, I play the game, and enjoy PvP purely for the challenge and the knowledge that I've won, or been beaten and learned something from it. I don't need a merit badge for doing it, nor should winning confer the means to keep winning (which incentivizes two things: cheating or quitting).

15 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Yea it kills me when we have to sink a 1st rate for hello kittying marks.  I feel like I've enjoyed the game less since the switch to marks and the need to sink, not capture everything was removed.  Nelson didn't need PVP marks, neither do we.  

The mere fact that we have mods/books that give better rewards from pvp marks is absurd in terms of a long term viability of a game. It just further emphasizes the gap between "elite" and casuals and the only thing it does is makes casual players stop playing. PVP marks should not be a thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I fail to understand people who profess to only play the game for PvP who need some kind of incentive to do such a thing.

!? To balance out the massive loss aversion the eco sandbox quickly conditions players into.

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Personally, I play the game, and enjoy PvP purely for the challenge and the knowledge that I've won, or been beaten and learned something from it. I don't need a merit badge for doing it

If only everone were like you, seriously.

31 minutes ago, Wraith said:

nor should winning confer the means to keep winning

Completely agree.

17 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Nelson didn't need PVP marks, neither do we.  

Nelson didn't have to pay for his ship and crew out of his own pocket. We do. Your beloved eco sandbox stops us from being Nelsons who can just be a sailor and shoot at ships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Nelson didn't have to pay for his ship and crew out of his own pocket. We do.

:) I chuckle at the analogy.

Nothing against it but our Victory is worth as much as a snow brig, if the same analogy is to be translated into realistic terms, not worth a national treasure.

But your hint to a Career is as old as the OW itself.

Just feels like this game lost a little bit of it's "specialness" if you will -  when we went to a marks system.  The reward was always about the chase, the prize and a little bit of gold and XP for your effort.  With the upgrade system we have now it's kinda asinine that we have to sink ships for marks.  It turned PVP into yet another farm to get marks to purchase special books and ships.  I remember hunting traders and getting excited when there were a couple mils worth of goods on them I could sail back into port (Hopefully) for a little extra cherry on top of the sundae.  Now we just sink em for marks.  It feels cheap and just lessens the experience.  I haven't enjoyed the OW as much since.  

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Just feels like this game lost a little bit of it's "specialness" if you will -  when we went to a marks system.  The reward was always about the chase, the prize and a little bit of gold and XP for your effort.  With the upgrade system we have now it's kinda asinine that we have to sink ships for marks.  It turned PVP into yet another farm to get marks to purchase special books and ships.  I remember hunting traders and getting excited when there were a couple mils worth of goods on them I could sail back into port (Hopefully) for a little extra cherry on top of the sundae.  Now we just sink em for marks.  It feels cheap and just lessens the experience.  I haven't enjoyed the OW as much since.  

I think you might be conflating the experience of a post wipe game with a former iteration of the game. 

Post wipe everything has value. Well built ships are hard to come by and even harder to make. People don't all sail around line ships with amazing upgrades because they don't have them yet. Now, as it has happened before, people have enough gold and resources to turn out 3-4 first rates a day. This is what happens when people stockpile resources over long periods of time. 

Post wipe was some of the most fun I have had in the game. The stakes were high and the world was alive with traders and such running around. We were also on a PvP marks, conquest marks (old vic marks) system.

A myriad of other things have affected the game, such as Safe Zones, teleportation to free ports etc. That lessened the number of people moving around in the open world and allowed clans and nations to grow fat. Personally I would like to see First Rates made extremely expensive to make/maintain and use. 

4 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I think you might be conflating the experience of a post wipe game with a former iteration of the game. 

Post wipe everything has value. Well built ships are hard to come by and even harder to make. People don't all sail around line ships with amazing upgrades because they don't have them yet. Now, as it has happened before, people have enough gold and resources to turn out 3-4 first rates a day. This is what happens when people stockpile resources over long periods of time. 

Post wipe was some of the most fun I have had in the game. The stakes were high and the world was alive with traders and such running around. We were also on a PvP marks, conquest marks (old vic marks) system.

A myriad of other things have affected the game, such as Safe Zones, teleportation to free ports etc. That lessened the number of people moving around in the open world and allowed clans and nations to grow fat. Personally I would like to see First Rates made extremely expensive to make/maintain and use. 

PVP marks were removed shortly after the wipe.  

Like i suggested in a Thread, give player a reward for lost Fights, soo they can get something for there Ship losses. But hey im a "Penner".

The Voting shows nothing Cause Players got no interest in Voting or to Discuss why?  Only over 100+ klicks and only 30 Votes.

For a Group (Clan) it is not so important, if they lose sometimes Ships. But for Casual Players it is more Important to get something even if they lose the Ships. In WoT you get something for a lost Battle and a lost Tank, and there must nobody replace something  or must buy ressources to get his Tank back.

I met a Player 2 times in OW First thing he lost was a T-Brig, then he comes up with let me get a Snow so we can get a even fight, he lost his 2nd Ship in Patrol-Zone, and now a few days later i met him again and he lost his Constitution. That gives me a bad taste cause he was not in a Clan but he was Jefe de Escuadra so Max Rank. Next time i will not engage him when i attacked him again. Players like him looks like they have fun with PvP even if they lose he gave his best but will get no reward thats a shame. The only thing he get something out of is for the Snow vs Snow Battle cause it was in PZ if had the Patrol-Mission running.