Game-Labs Forum

I would just like to see players having to protect their own nation's capital instead of AI. Only let low ranks have AI reinforcements as they are new and need the crutch. Create defensive PVP patrol missions.  Keep the green zone battles open still for coast guards to enter the battles. Create more PVE content to get players numbers up.  Think about content for those who only have 20 minutes to play.  Bring in exploration missions as was proposed waaay long ago. 

Although personally I'd also like to revert repairs back to how they were long ago so maybe my ideas are bad :/

• Like 3

On 4/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, Christendom said:

RIP our already diminished casual player base.  

Correct.

I see nothing that inspires me to log in and play.  I'll check back in the forums a couple times a week to see if there will be a positive change and advocate for things that might be positive, but I won't be playing the game.

See you here middle of next week.

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

I would just like to see players having to protect their own nation's capital instead of AI. Only let low ranks have AI reinforcements as they are new and need the crutch. Create defensive PVP patrol missions.  Keep the green zone battles open still for coast guards to enter the battles. Create more PVE content to get players numbers up.  Think about content for those who only have 20 minutes to play.  Bring in exploration missions as was proposed waaay long ago. 

This does not work. Defensive patrol missions are a waste of time unless you are guaranteed action, people do not want to take missions that entail them sailing round hoping for opposition to turn up.

You may say that there is always plenty of opposition around places like KPR, once you get an organised defence fleet the opposition runs, they only stay and fight if they have a good chance of winning.

Keeping green zone battles open for coast guards was what I thought they were implementing when they recently changed the RoE for green zones, but what they actually implemented was that battles stay open for all, so you get somebody getting jumped by 2 or 3 players so a small coast guard force joins, but then they suddenly find more attackers join and it was a trap. It again comes down to an organised attacking force facing a random pick up group of defenders. Just look at British nation chat every day recently and the arguments that go on about how to handle the attacks around KPR, some people are happy to just go out and have a laugh in throw away ships, which just feeds the attackers PvP marks, others try to get organised and get the defence force onto TS and into correct ships only to be told by others to stop ordering them round and that they do not have to be in TS and they will fight in any ships they want then they blame the more experienced PvP'ers for not defending home waters.

I agree they need more PvE content outside green zones and other ways to get people to leave the zones, but their current strategy of making the green zones unsafe will only serve to drive players out of the game.

In an ideal world you could have players defend their own capital waters, but for that you would need a proper naval command structure where people had to follow orders and you would have to allow people be able to drop what they were doing anywhere else on the map at a moments notice so they could mobilise to defend home waters. In practice this is just not possible.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Although personally I'd also like to revert repairs back to how they were long ago so maybe my ideas are bad :/

I have been on countless defense patrols.  From the Hardmode Era on, they are a complete waste of time, so I quit even trying.  If you want people to defend the coasts, you have to give them tools to do so.  But at this point, expecting rafts of former players to come back in is a fantasy.  The game will have to be built on new players from scratch and right now, nobody new plays for more than a month.  Again, as someone who enjoyed helping newbies... that became a waste of time too.

Edited by IndianaGeoff
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archaos said:

In an ideal world you could have players defend their own capital waters, but for that you would need a proper naval command structure where people had to follow orders and you would have to allow people be able to drop what they were doing anywhere else on the map at a moments notice so they could mobilise to defend home waters. In practice this is just not possible.

The loss of Tow to Capital was part of this. At least once a day, you could quickly rally a crew that would be home to defend.  As it is now, if you are on a far flung patrol or trade mission it's 20 minutes or longer before you can be back home to defend.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:35 AM, Hethwill said:

Excellent of you to point this out because, for too many players, it seems like this "small" detail was missed due to selective memory or fixation only on negativity.

And that makes a WORLD difference for the "safe zones" alone. And it was requested a LOT by a LOT of players, for the battles to be always open so they can be helped and helped their buddies. Rests to see if it is used.

+1

Because most of the players that would have used this months ago have left, given up on the game and moved on.  They don't log in.  They don't read the forums.  Heck, look how dead the forums are now.

I am sorry, small incremental fixes to a couple areas won't fix this game.  You will not get a critical mass of old players to fill and balance out the game play on the server at this point.  You need to build a game that can attract and keep new players and start from scratch.  If that works, you might get some old players back.  Right now this game is down to the 1% who can't live without it.  I consider myself the 5% who would love the game if it was playable.  But it is not. So I join the 99% and play something else that has balance and >shock<  FUN.

• Like 2

Indiana, every early access I purchase, every project I kickstart I know it is not a finished game until it is.

I have no idea what other customers think and I am sure developers can't be wizards that guess that players do not understand that development can make U turns everytime.

NA is not unique in that regard I can tell you and if you are a avid supporter of new studios with great game ideas then you know this very well.

Do not buy into development if you expect a release. End of the stick.

Plenty of them, the ones I invested in, I left until they are finished :) and some of them are still in development, 3 years in excess of NA... and making U turns now and then.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:32 AM, admin said:

3 buffed reinforcement 5th rates will be sent as protection. 

Does this mean Epic Event buffed or less? more?

1 buffed ship per enemy? It better be as buffed as the EPIC ships then.

The reinforcement zone is already a bigger problem than benefit for the defender since the defender will usually be fighting AI as well. Not to mention the time and player count before the defender nation can even react. It´s not like people sit standby in port waiting to defend some random person somewhere against a gank fleet.

New players get a horrible first time experience, so why not just remove it? This is just another episode of letting the fox into the hen house and pretend it´s all good.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Wording
  • Like 2

On ‎06‎-‎04‎-‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Cornelius Trash said:

But you force the casual player to invest more time.

Every time admin caters to the hardcore pvp crowd, usernumbers drop.

And the hardcore pvp crowd complains about a lack of targets and wants even less pve content. Corellation?

This is the negative feedback cyclus the game is in. I do agree with Lars that we need means of doing economic warfare.

All nations should only have a safe zone around one or 2 cities. There is a huge difference for nations that either sit safe up at Bermuda because people cant be bothered to sail  up there, sit up high in the east coast, low in the Mexican Gulf or something equally. Or nations having massive safe zones spawning massive areas or nations with just 2 cities.

• Like 1

The thing is that when I log on I like find battles and try to get PvP. 

Like I do in any other game. 

But here I need to use days to craft a new ship. He'll, I can't craft a Bellona right now as I lack lignum vitae logs and can't find any.

If I one day get the stuff for this ships and loose it in a battle then I have to start all over and spend precious time trying to build a new ship. It's not worth playing like this. I'm not getting fun out of this game anymore.

I liked it when we had multi duras. The 5th rates where spendable and the 1st rates less so with only one life.

Now I can't take any risk and when I loose a ship I'm out for a long time. 

In any other game I can take revenge. But not here...

This game is for elite players only.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fox2run said:

The thing is that when I log on I like find battles and try to get PvP. 

How do you find the patrol missions in this regard?

24 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I can't craft a Bellona right now as I lack lignum vitae logs and can't find any

24 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Now I can't take any risk and when I loose a ship I'm out for a long time. 

Does it absolutely have to be a Bellona?

They have announced a premium ship pack. I'm going to get everything and steer those ships into the patrol zones. Pretty close to PvP on demand with no boring eco downtime. If we get fun fixes to patrol missions it will be close to perfect for me. 

I would prefer to sail a 1st rate now that I made it to rank 50. But obviously a few players want this party for themselves. 

So 2nd and 3rd rates are the only options. But I can't risk them on PvP as they are too expensive for casual play.

That leaves me with PvE or 5th rates. 

Or other games as I did my part as a PvP fighting frigate cpt. 

The way this game has been developed over time has changed my gameplay from risk-seeking PvP player to carebear against my will. 

I rather take command of a flagship AF carrier all the time, but alas this is not the game ! :o 

The main issue is that our end game players want to make war. They have nothing to do outside the green zone and seal clubbing pays the best.

There should be content outside green zones that pays better than seal clubbing.

There should be content that makes PvP players to fight other PvP players.

This way PvP players would not even want to waste their time hunting green zoners as that would not really pay nor fame.

When PvP players are fighting each other, equally skilled players will be losing and winning, we create a money sink.

What there could be outside green zones that is better/different than anything you can get inside green zones?

Content should be something that seamlessly works in OW, not some arena circle.

37 minutes ago, fox2run said:

as I did my part as a PvP fighting frigate cpt.

Most of the best NA players I know prefer frigates. You seem to want pvp-on-demand in 1st rates? Now, that's a tall order! (And I thought I was being difficult)

You often talk about "when NA was great"... Did you run around pvp'ing in 1st rates at that time? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

There should be content that makes PvP players to fight other PvP players.

6 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Content should be something that seamlessly works in OW, not some arena circle.

Another hard to please customer.

Patrol missions work great as far as pvp'ers finding eachother. I've seen and fought, Rediii, Ram Dinark, Otto, Potemkin...

4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Patrol missions work great as far as pvp'ers finding eachother. I've seen and fought, Rediii, Ram Dinark, Otto, Potemkin...

And I have seen overkill-ganks more than once... actually everytime I was there. 

Yesterday I got about 10 decent fights in the event zone. They COULD be awesome for any group (solos / small or big groups) if they had a proper RoE. A 10 man fleet spawning in a 2v2 20 min into the battle is just nonsense.

Generally I found that the pvp opportunities are much more numerous in the events than camping capitals hoping to get tagged (with a forever open battle.. *choke*

Id say 90+ % of my last week or two battles were located in / near the pvp zones. Isnt that what pve lords always wanted? Players wanting to pvp can pvp each other. Good. Now it just needs a decent RoE to make it perfect.

• Like 4

OW was too risky for trade ships and new/solo players farming missions in a risk/rewards - rage/fun  perception?

Let's create protected area aka pvp-free zone and put every needed stuff in it. (-risk +rewards)

But in this area you can be tagged (+risk -fun)

But you can ask for ai support autowin, (-risk)

then change it to not totally autowin, just strong help. ( +rage ?)

All of this is quite confusing.

Lot of moves resulting in keeping players inside boring reinforced zones, killing the ow life, but letting them still getting occasionaly ganked.

I welcome these changes from a solo hunting player’s perspective but on the long run it won’t do much. The game was a lot harder with many more bugs 2 years ago but nobody really complained that much because there were plenty of people playing and a lot more going on. 

The only solution in my opinion is to improve pve massively with scripted missions with goals and mor immersion. More ow content such as treasure fleets or famous historical pirates or captains that you can fight if you find them and get special rewards. 

You need a dynamic economy and maybe a score on a war so you can keep track of who is winning and give more meaning to fights, being for a port battle or ow. 

In essence you need more pve content to attract more players into the game and pvp will just happen naturally.

Anyway, these are my 2 cents about it 

Edited by Simon Cadete
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simon Cadete said:

The game was a lot harder with many more bugs 2 years ago but nobody really complained that much because there were plenty of people playing and a lot more going on. 

I do not think that this is really correct, a lot of the changes they implemented were because people complained. Track back most of the major changes and you will find most of them were to try and solve some issue raised by players. Usually it is a small vocal group of players that persist till the Devs eventually listen and make changes, problem is sometimes the Devs solutions are not what the players wanted.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

And I have seen overkill-ganks more than once... actually everytime I was there. 

Oh, for sure, we're begging for that to change, tho. The fix is easy.

I'm going there alone, rediii was there alone, Ram was there with one friend, so...

9 minutes ago, Simon Cadete said:

...In essence you need more pve content to attract more players into the game and pvp will just happen naturally...

Ok, then, I've seen this often enough. Give an example of a game that gets this right; That attracts lots of players with PVE content that in turn results in "organic" PvP?

41 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Another hard to please customer.

That would be real content and I know many who would like to get exactly that.

1 minute ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

real content

Depends on your perspective. The only "real content" for me is PvP and I'm no longer fuzzy about how I get that.