Game-Labs Forum
Jerome

Open world hunting

13 hours ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Zoky, I disagree with some of your reasons and causes, but you nailed the most important point...

Until the Devs figure this out and do some real work on it, it won't improve.

The big red alert came already back in April 2016 when the first initiatives where made to restrict OW PvP.

Since then the game has been struggling to get back on track...

More and easy access to PvP and cheap and spendable ships means more players.

OW was fun, dangerous but also forgivable. Lost a ship? Capture an AI ship and be back in action right away.

Now it takes a lot of PVE grind to do this. 

Also if a player ranked all the way up he is not really allowed to sail in 1st rates anymore.

Before it was for all but if you sailed alone you got captured.

There where plenty of everything. 

Now everything has been more boring.

• Like 1

You can capture a OW AI ship and get back to action in no time.

Just NOT the 1st rate you want, how you want, when you want. For that you have to play a bit more than simple "gong farming".

Isn't it only max 5th rates that are capturable?

Leveling up means less action down the road...

To clarify: can you capture a ship without the fleet perk?

Edited by fox2run

You can capture a ship without the fleet perk. You just can't keep both ships without the fleet perk. In the crew transfer window you have a transfer option to change to the capture ship.

Regarding your first question, I am sorry I do not understand what is being asked.

Just now, fox2run said:

What AI ships can you capture?

Anything excluding 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st rates.

Any AI ships that are player fleet are not ruled by this and can be captured.

5 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Weird rule. Everything should be capturable. The more options the better.

No its not wierd. Go build your own ships, if not sail up to 5th rates. We dont want to be flooded with cheap AI capped SOL's it was alredy tested and it sucks ass.

Edited by Otto Kohl
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

No its not wierd. Go build your own ships, if not sail up to 5th rates. We dont want to be flooded with cheap AI capped SOL's it was alredy tested and it sucks ass.

I am of Another opinion completely.

8 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I am of Another opinion completely.

Because you always want to have everything without any effort. It does not work that way. You are crying on the forum for over a year now, you want free ships, free books, free no risk pvp marks. Stop wasting your time on the forum and start playing a game. You can have everything, just play and get it.

Edited by Otto Kohl
  • Like 8

Played the game for long. Playability ain't the same as before... 

Effort? Making a clan building ships etc. done all that. Never mentioned anything about books nor marks.

Losses should be mild and rewards great. All good multiplayer games rely on this.

Imagine a war game where you have to spent too long time doing things you find boring.... crafting tanks for warthunder?.... when th8ngs ain't fun they shouldn't be in a game. 

Sid Meier figured this out long time ago.

Implement new stuff. Is this fun? Yes. Great.

No. Skip it.

Fun is not like: the real world didn't have any first rates so players shouldn't sail them. 

Fun is like: hey great, you levelled up to admiral. Here is a first rate and we got this huge battle you can join if you like!

Here every logic has turned upside down... 

lol Fox, my clan moved on from NA to Life is Feudal MMO although I still play NA. You wouldn't last 2 days before quitting Life is Feudal. 

NA is not quick & easy PVP.  I can find quick PVP in the patrol areas but never go there in anything but store bought ships which I need to do trading to keep up the cost of loss.

Just like life is Feudal is not a quick & easy PVP survival mmo. If I want quick & easy PVP in a survival game, I turn to RUST. 

NA is just not the game for you, it seems. 

• Like 2

I smell a continuity error.

I guess you can get a 5/5 bonus ship from captured AI now. Or you would think that with how people are for some reason ok with 5th rate capture but 4th rate capture is invisible wall'd. 

Surely the effort to capture an AI santi in a constitution to get a no slot shabby ship isn't effort, it's the easy way out of crafting since you totally aren't making a compromise and you reap the same bonus of crafting as you do capturing...

Best to just stay in the 5th rate section of the game, more content.

Edited by Slim McSauce

I for one wouldnt mind paying $8-10/mo for this game. Or monetize some parts of it, paints, special ships, etc .Most of these problems could be solved by expanding the dev team, more and better content could be added quicker, Im not even sure how they survive on $40 one time fee, we are lucky we have the game we have .  I know Im not the only one who feels that way and devs should consider this.

Assuming your number is correct, 4 mil over 3 years is not a lot of money in the field of game design, split up among the team, huge chunk going back into the game, you do the math.

On 05/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, Sovereign said:

Bollocks. 

tell it to the devs, since they said so.

You live in your idea of the game, and do not admit that the game could also satisfy other ideas of the game.

that's your problem (and not only yours). 

But hey .... why bothering with you? 

I know how this will end. I have already seen this happening once. You did not.

I have just to wait a couple of months to see you getting back on this forum crying a river about the lack of PVP (due to low population) and blaming it on the usual carebears, thus asking for even more PVP oriented mechanics.

On 06/04/2018 at 12:22 PM, Hethwill said:

Anything excluding 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st rates.

Any AI ships that are player fleet are not ruled by this and can be captured.

you cannot also caputure any "permitted" 5th rates as far as I know

6 hours ago, jnovotny6 said:

Assuming your number is correct, 4 mil over 3 years is not a lot of money in the field of game design, split up among the team, huge chunk going back into the game, you do the math.

It depends on how much you actually invest in the development of the game. Link the points and make an educated guess ....

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, victor said:

you cannot also caputure any "permitted" 5th rates as far as I know

I do not understand what you trying to say, sorry.

On 06/04/2018 at 2:10 PM, fox2run said:

Losses should be mild and rewards great. All good multiplayer games rely on this.

No. There's plenty of different approaches in different games in the market. So take your pick.

Players are free to chose whatever games they want. But NA dev team gave us a chance to participate actively and shape the orientation of the game as a community not as individuals.

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Sovereign said:

So what is changing then really? The game is already almost dead and if the PvE players leave the PvP players still don't have less content, unless you count clubbing some carebear that by accident left the zone as content. I still fail to see how some player that is only doing PvE missions in the zone is needed by PvP players. And I am not talking about new players that are learning the ropes and want to get into PvP down the line. You said it yourself, assuming half of the server pop are PvP players is mighty generous, so what is the other half doing? No PvP, which is the endgame content unless you're one of those oddballs that enjoy sailing the 562th PvE mission in their Victory or this spanish guy that made it his destiny to be the trader king of all carebears with most pixel gold on the server...

So how does it affect a PvP player, if a PvE player quits? The PvP player doesn't need the PvE player for anything other than PvP, which the PvE player is avoiding by sitting in the zones.

The point of OW is to fight for territory and meet enemies / raid enemy traders. As it stands right now they could very well remove OW and make all eco based in one port like some browser game window and fights will be only in the lobby PB/RvR/Patrol style. OW has no value or reason to be there at the moment.

Sovereign, you seem to feel that everyone should play the game to your standard.  No one is an oddball for playing to their standards.  PVE players have a right to be carebears and maybe sample PVP just occasionally.  The point of OW is different for different players.  I fail to see how arrogant PVP stars are needed by the rest of the population....I'll take you on 1v1 when I develop more skill, but first I have to get there....my way, not yours.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 5:57 AM, Archaos said:

I still do not get the mentality of the so called hardcore PvP'ers, even the title of the thread "open world hunting" gives an indication of what they want. They feel they are hunters and want more prey. They are not looking for good fights, they are looking for easy human targets and that is why they want to get rid of safe zones and force everyone out into the open world so they can have a target rich environment so they can brag and wave their epeen around as to how good they are for beating up on players who are not as experienced or well equipped as them.

There is a constant stream of OW hunters hanging round the safe zone outside KPR all moaning that high rank players are doing missions in the safe zone, they complained so much that they changed the RoE so that battles against AI in the safe zone remain open. If half of these hunters hanging around KPR changed to the British nation and went out attacking the other half hanging around then they would have plenty of OW action, but no, they would rather moan and look for ways to gank people who who at the time are not looking for PvP and moan on the forums that OW hunting is dead.

The game would be much more attractive without these so called hardcore PvP'ers (aka gankers)

1 hour ago, Red Dragon 13 said:

hardcore PvP'ers (aka gankers)

Hardcore PvP players don't need to gank and I'd say they rather avoid it to get higher rewards. Only low quality players constantly gank, simply because they need to due to their lack of skill.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:57 AM, Archaos said:

I still do not get the mentality of the so called hardcore PvP'ers, even the title of the thread "open world hunting" gives an indication of what they want. They feel they are hunters and want more prey. They are not looking for good fights, they are looking for easy human targets and that is why they want to get rid of safe zones and force everyone out into the open world so they can have a target rich environment so they can brag and wave their epeen around as to how good they are for beating up on players who are not as experienced or well equipped as them.

There is a constant stream of OW hunters hanging round the safe zone outside KPR all moaning that high rank players are doing missions in the safe zone, they complained so much that they changed the RoE so that battles against AI in the safe zone remain open. If half of these hunters hanging around KPR changed to the British nation and went out attacking the other half hanging around then they would have plenty of OW action, but no, they would rather moan and look for ways to gank people who who at the time are not looking for PvP and moan on the forums that OW hunting is dead.

Wait, you mean people want to attack only when they have an advantage? How silly! That's never happened in the history of warfare!

1 hour ago, Werewolf said:

Wait, you mean people want to attack only when they have an advantage? How silly! That's never happened in the history of warfare!

Its not about attacking when they have the advantage as even in a 1v1 in same ships a player will always try to get the advantage by keeping the wind or whatever else they need to do to give them the edge. The issue is with people wanting the RoE changed so people who are not interested in PvP at that time are forced to be at risk of being engaged in PvP. As I said before just look at the numbers of players from different nations hanging around outside the KPR green zone looking for PvP, but somehow they seldom seem to attack each other and would rather attack someone who is attacking an AI or has strayed outside the zone to do a mission. They want easy targets rather than fight against people who are setup for PvP.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Its not about attacking when they have the advantage as even in a 1v1 in same ships a player will always try to get the advantage by keeping the wind or whatever else they need to do to give them the edge. The issue is with people wanting the RoE changed so people who are not interested in PvP at that time are forced to be at risk of being engaged in PvP. As I said before just look at the numbers of players from different nations hanging around outside the KPR green zone looking for PvP, but somehow they seldom seem to attack each other and would rather attack someone who is attacking an AI or has strayed outside the zone to do a mission. They want easy targets rather than fight against people who are setup for PvP.

Some of this will be inevitable in an online game, I'm afraid. You will always have those seeking the low hanging fruit. I hunted traders a lot as a pirate, avoiding warships as a rule. The truth is, it's very difficult to do that solo.... but how so we stop groups of gankers etc wit out hitting people with a ten ton rulebook?