Game-Labs Forum

Let's say we know x account is alt. What would you propose to implement, so nations/clans can deal with alts that are obvious and not hiding? Lowest rank account bidding for resources millions of gold. At the moment it doesn't matter if port is controlled by X or Y clan and it doesn't matter if port is controlled by X or Y nation. Alts follow resources. Resources change from one clan to another, from one nation to another and alts keep following them. Basically, alts remove almost absolutely any purpose for smugglers, smuggling etc. One of the ideas is monopoly or clan share/benefit for controlling port and another idea is a white list aka friend list or settings who can buy and use port. All nations, all clans, only chosen clans, everyone etc. Question for players that don't like this kind of idea, what would you propose to fix economic warfare and alt "abuse"?

and much more topics to follow :)

• Like 5

Like it was done in PB fleets, it looks that the only way to mitigate alt abuse is with friend list.

If we have accepted that system before, friend list for some ressources is the logical next step.

• Like 1

So only RvR powerhouse clans will have the good stuff?... Good luck with that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

That will depend on the clan policy on those ressources.

Right now, you can see a bunch of ports available for all, which means you can set contracts in an enemy port.

Also it is essential that this change comes with foreign clan alliances, in order to support each other in dark times.

Edited by Intrepido
  • Like 1

Just now, jodgi said:

Feel free to suggest your idea. It's a thread open for suggestions from all players that DO NOT like the ideas proposed before. Questions for you, doe:

1. What are the benefits of "RvR powerhouses" for taking the ports? I don't want to offend other players, but if they do 0 work to help capture the port, aren't they like a leech or parasite? 

2. Paraphrasing your statement: "So only RvR powerhouse clans will have access to port battles? ... Good luck with that.". That's how the game was for the last months and I don't see players complain that they can't get into port battles. You want to participate in RvR, you must join a clan or stick to small tasks like screening etc. You want access to good stuff, you must contribute, help, fight - not just wait for others to do all the job for you, right?

3. Of course, clans can set that all resources are available for everyone in the nation, or even make a port FFA, so for all nations. Just like Prussia has Grand Turk with teak logs open for everyone, so everyone has access to the "good stuff".

• Like 3

The solution is to make nations matter less and clans matter more.  Turn this game into a true clan based open world MMO with clan alliances and the removal of most nations.

Clan X owns a port.  They can restrict who enters and only open it to allliance members OR make it FFA for everyone.

Alt problem solved.  But the devs like alts.  Alts sell more copies

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Christendom said:

But the devs like alts.  Alts sell more copies

Pretty much this and you can't blame them... who doesn't like some extra cash? The problem is when they promote buying alt accounts. I'd rather they get their money from ship and paint DLCs etc. ...

• Like 3

The only problem I have with alts is this:

Alt comes into nation chat and convinces a group of unsuspecting players to go on "patrol" or even do a patrol mission for PvP experience/marks whatever.

Alt then makes sure other enemy players are there to sink the first group. It's griefing, should be against ToS, but is nearly impossible to prove at a sufficient level to lead to disciplinary actions. I have seen it a few times now and all I can do it call it on nation chat with the hope that the alt's reputation gets damaged enough that people stop joining.

Any other use of alts (spying, trading, crafting, change of scenery w/o having to change nations, etc) I consider legitimate in an OW sandbox war game (although it would be nice to have some way to deal with spies in-game if they are caught), even if some cause a bit of a headache.

3 minutes ago, BPHick said:

The only problem I have with alts is this:

Alt comes into nation chat and convinces a group of unsuspecting players to go on "patrol" or even do a patrol mission for PvP experience/marks whatever.

Alt then makes sure other enemy players are there to sink the first group. It's griefing, should be against ToS, but is nearly impossible to prove at a sufficient level to lead to disciplinary actions. I have seen it a few times now and all I can do it call it on nation chat with the hope that the alt's reputation gets damaged enough that people stop joining.

Any other use of alts (spying, trading, crafting, change of scenery w/o having to change nations, etc) I consider legitimate in an OW sandbox war game (although it would be nice to have some way to deal with spies in-game if they are caught), even if some cause a bit of a headache.

Alts have been sabotaging RvR since the begining. It is a well known issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I'd rather they get their money from ship and paint DLCs etc. ...

Me too and we'll get that chance in the foreseeable future.

35 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Alt problem solved.  But the devs like alts.  Alts sell more copies

Devs are just pragmatic about what can be done about the "alt problem" where you are not. All sandbox and eco games have alts.

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Me too and we'll get that chance in the foreseeable future.

Devs are just pragmatic about what can be done about the "alt problem" where you are not. All sandbox and eco games have alts.

But in other games something can be done about that. Alts can be expelled from clans, exiled from nations, etc. Alts 100% ruin economic warfare and any benefits of owning/controlling ports. Now it's useless and meaningless. Also, is NA supposed to like "all other games"?

It's simple. Let me kill the alt even if he's in my nation.

It's been possible before, it's possible now. Friendly Clan list/Hostile Clan list

High Security Waters (safezones)/Mid Security (nation owned forts that protect the defender in any case) and Low Security where it's just you and him.

Good luck finding any other way to deal with the problem except directly.

• Like 1

While I appreciate the clans who leave the rare mod ingredients and rare wood ports open to all.

1. Cartegena Tar

2. Sweden

nuff said, swedish alts everywhere, along with russian and spanish alts to get WO, LO, Teak

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Also, is NA supposed to like "all other games"?

By all means, no. I was just reacting to chris' insightful analysis.

Ports owned by clans should have three options: Clan Controlled, Open to Nation, Open to All.

Clan Controlled ports should have friendly clan lists. Those friendly clans should be able to dock, trade, join port battles, create outposts, buildings, etc. Non-friendly clans are excluded except by smuggling.

Open to Nation, and Open to All works as current mechanics dictate.

And for the love of RNGesus please bring back Outlaw Mechanics for all nations.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's simple. Let me kill the alt even if he's in my nation.

then the alts can also green-on-green.  clans of alts will form to disrupt nations, and kill them from the inside

• Like 1

Just now, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

then the alts can also green-on-green.  clans of alts will form to disrupt nations, and kill them from the inside

I don't know. We already have clans with alt leaders who kick their members and open their ports so.

How do other games do it? Rip a page from one of those books.

14 hours ago, Wraith said:

And for the love of RNGesus please bring back Outlaw Mechanics for all nations.

Guys in other posts you ask for casuals to be the core of NA and here you want outlaw mechs for every nation. A bit contradicting isn't it? Outlaw mechanics are hardcore mechanics. Casuals are well..casual and not hardcore.

Edited by Palatinose
  • Like 4

I think a better ideea is to have an ingame bounty system, like the "marked with the black spot" thing. Not much to program either, implementation is like a contract with the diffrence that the player in question becomes a target for everyone. 

Edited by AxIslander
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxIslander said:

I think a better ideea is to have an ingame bounty system, like the "marked with the black spot" thing. Not much to program either, implementation is like a contract with the diffrence that the player in question becomes a target for everyone. 

Some alts pretty much never leave a port. Remember these alts are not meant for playing, PvP or sailing mostly, but bidding, buying, selling, espionage. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I liked it.

idea was good but I didnt like the mechanic of ffa inside them. A system with multiple teams and groups would be better so each battlegroup is a team and are shown as allies

4 minutes ago, rediii said:

idea was good but I didnt like the mechanic of ffa inside them. A system with multiple teams and groups would be better so each battlegroup is a team and are shown as allies

The only thing I disliked was combining safe zone with outlaw mechanics, it made zero sense. FFA was ok for me.

• Like 2