Game-Labs Forum

Event Zone RoE  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Event Zone RoE need adjustment?

2. 2. If you voted Yes - Do you think players should be able to join battles on each sides until it has reached...

• 1.2x the BR of the other side
    • 1.3x the BR of the other side
    • 1.4x the BR of the other side
    • 1.5x the BR of the other side
    • 1.6x the BR of the other side
    • Other
    • I voted No
  3. 3. For how long should the battle be open for anyone to join, without BR restrictions?

34 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

No. We have what came here for and we got our wishes granted. Grab your friends and fight. Or just ignore the Zones and continue to use the rest of the OW.

if "Gank and get ganked to pieces" is what you wished for, sure you got what you wanted

but the zones as they are now with battles being open for half an hour, are just a joke IMHO :)

Where else would you go then, if you ignore the zones? Battles in reinforcment zones are even worse. Stay open to join for the whole duration - no more privateering there. 

Then there is free ports I guess. But usually it's just a baiting game where one player lures others to fight, and then have his ninja mates undock from port to join.

• Like 5

Understanding what it all means and disagreeing or not disagreeing is not to be confused. Thanks for the explanation although I know exactly what it means. To the letter.

I always wanted a ... open world... with whatever comes... with acceptbale timescale relation with the iterations... WYSIWYG...

Can't have it :( ...

See...

One ROE to rule them all ! ... and after so many iterations still we cannot decide what we want... We, the players, not any single captain.

Now we, players, have two ROE to discuss about, OW and Zone... oh fortuna... the wheels of destiny turn...

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

I only want to fight players, ideally. I don't want to spend time doing anything else, again, ideally. Are you sure you are the same as me?

I never once claimed you and I were all that similar in the overarching play styles we enjoy. It's clear we value different things in different amounts but I don't think we're that far away on one thing that matters:  Players should be able to enjoy the game on terms that they want. Right now, the terms you want are being shoe horned into the open world, and it's to the detriment of the players that want the open world and its mechanics to be consistent and integrate with the sandbox.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Where's the problem here? If you like them, do them. If not, don't.

The debate in this thread is over RoE that does not work for open world mechanics, and it does not serve the pew pew, instant action PvP crowd either. It fails on both accounts and I'm disappointed because it detracts from developer time that should be spent fixing some absolutely glaring problems in tagging, in-game communication, player-generated content mechanisms, RvR mechanics, and lack of overall content that should be there to facilitate new players and their survival in the game. Instead the dev's continue to cater to the narrowest subset of this game's population who could best be served by mechanics that we already had in the game: Small/Large/Duel rooms.

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

No. We have what came here for and we got our wishes granted. Grab your friends and fight. Or just ignore the Zones and continue to use the rest of the OW.

But that's just it: the rest of the OW is broken and empty.  People are ok with the Event Zones because it's all we have left, and it's not what the majority of us asked for! So we can rail against the lack of movement towards things that are really sustainable, or we can fiddle away and ignore the rotting ship as it sinks beneath us:

4df9d358a0f0360313b39af0479442b8.png

bd0163fef57d0d74c2550d8ec1af1c75.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Right now, the terms you want are being shoe horned into the open world

One tiny circle in the entire map (relatively speaking). What can we do but to shoe-horn fun PvP when ya'll go "if you find yourself in a fair fight you done funked up"?

One. Frikkin'. Circle.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

and it does not serve the pew pew, instant action PvP crowd either.

We're super easy to please, I'll just refer to Liq's latest posts on how easy it is to fix roe in the circle.

I've seen a million billion violently different posts on how to fix empty and "broken" OW. They often start out with a cute "you just do so and so...", then follows a spectacularly long and complicated list or matrix of interconnected mechanics that needs to be just so to make it work.

Take a look at Liq's suggestion again and tell me that is going to waste developer time.

Last time I was in said circle @Palatinose, @Banished Privateer and many others were featured in the clerk feed elsewhere, so it seems you're going overboard with the "it's all we have left".

It's weird that something your friends and new guys quickly learn to avoid can be such a problem to you. I can't even tell if you're exaggerating or downplaying patrol popularity.

I've already told you why I'm not spending time discussing various lobby rooms.

@jodgi I'm not going to spend every day in Patrol Zone because it's logical when "all hunters" go to Patrol, all "carebears & traders" will be sailing careless around, feeling safe. I actually get much more PvP in "calm" waters and areas when Patrol is hot on fire. For Patrol I need a big fleet, often 1st rates and lots of players in the fleet, otherwise there is a high chance of getting ganked... Until admin adds some anti-ganking better Patrol rules, I'm not going to do much in them unless I'm a part of big, steamrolling fleet of Prussians.

• Like 3

Another great example.

I saw a battle, low BR danish vs US endymion. Figured id join and check it out. of course it was an AI bait again but was fine with that  = ) Battle was going for 4 min at this point, BRs kinda balanced out when I joined.

Now the battle itself was pretty boring, endmyion decided to kite chain the whole battle, but that's not what im complaning about.

What bothers me is this - Another 20 minutes later, two 3rd rates joined my side. I mean come on. If you dont see this being complete horse shit, I dont know.

It could be so easily fixable.

aps4Hmm.jpg

Edited by Liq
  • Like 1

The story of this game. Feels like they rush every feature without thinking too much and then it takes like 5 months for them to fix trivial stuff.

I just dont understand how they can implement PvP zones without any BR limit again...

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 6

On 30/03/2018 at 7:00 PM, Wraith said:

and it's not what the majority of us asked for!

It is. Can find more posts about "fast access to action" that any other request, from the forum sample, mind you.

No one stated that it was "fast access to action the way I want"... which would make no sense.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

It is. Can find more posts about "fast access to action" that any other request, from the forum sample, mind you.

No one stated that it was "fast access to action the way I want"... which would make no sense.

Why was Legends so unpopular then?

I believe that the majority of players in this game do want Action of some sort, but they want it to be in the sandbox, and in a game world that feels like it's functioning around them.

If all they wanted was lobby-based, find action fast functionality then Legends would have been a smash. Now I've never said that type of content shouldn't be in the game. It serves a certain kind of player and everyone can benefit from it to varying extents. But you're kidding yourself if you think the majority of players want that type of content over all others.

Look at the popularity of safe zones if you would like to debate numbers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Why was Legends so unpopular then?

I believe that the majority of players in this game do want Action of some sort, but they want it to be in the sandbox, and in a game world that feels like it's functioning around them.

If all they wanted was lobby-based, find action fast functionality then Legends would have been a smash. Now I've never said that type of content shouldn't be in the game. It serves a certain kind of player and everyone can benefit from it to varying extents. But you're kidding yourself if you think the majority of players want that type of content over all others.

Look at the popularity of safe zones if you would like to debate numbers.

John Snow already answered eventhough he meant Naval Action OW why Legends failed:

55 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

The story of this game. Feels like they rush every feature without thinking too much and then it takes like 5 months for them to fix trivial stuff.

I just dont understand how they can implement PvP zones without any BR limit again...

Legends failed because it was the most boring PvE grind there was possible to make. Always the same 'lobbies'. Always a stupid game-balance where a player is counted 1 to 1 for a NPC. Stupid capture circles. And a grind for cannons for the ships that made the whole gamebalance a joke. We asked for customized lobby, never got it...

Event zone is just a matter of time till it is getting another ghost town in a huge map with an average of more ports than we have players active ingame.

I'm just waiting until a NA equivalent of Faction Warfare where you have to capture points on the map is implemented. So much map with so little to actually do is maddening

8 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I'm just waiting until a NA equivalent of Faction Warfare where you have to capture points on the map is implemented. So much map with so little to actually do is maddening

And the rest of us is waiting for a clan based game instead of having 11 nations that all cant fill more than one full first rate fleets anymore.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

And the rest of us is waiting for a clan based game instead of having 11 nations that all cant fill more than one full first rate fleets anymore.

the game is already clan based. It's just that we can't fight clans inside our nation for some reason.

• Like 1

Another suggestion regarding the events:

Make it so players can vote wheter or not they can leave a battle. Democracy, needs majority of both teams to vote yes (Escape -> Call Vote -> Escape possibility), then F1 for yes, F2 for no

Why?

Some battles are just pointless, where one side cannot get caught by the other anyway.

Example:
I joined a battle of 320 BR 4 ships vs 80BR 1 ship - Was 4 British princes vs 1 Pirate Trader brig. I was in a Belle Poule and joined the Pirate side.

Now One of the princes messed up and let me get one broadside too many into him, so he sank. But the other 3 just decided to kite and run upwind for the whole 90 minutes. 

We probably both would have agreed to leave the battle, if we could. Because it was a time waste for everyone involved.

4678EF611429C5605A563151AB7033C40982496D

Edited by Liq
  • Like 1

battle started 1v1, then the brit niagara joined - not much later the two mercs joined my side, and then the navy brig joined their side. somewhat balanced battle. but of course - 20 minutes later, 6 join one side and made it compeltely pointless.

Is it supposed to be a PvP zone or Gank only zone?

Right now if you're solo or in a small group, you shouldnt bother going to the events. Game limits gameplay and tells you in what fleet size you HAVE to go, to be successful. 1k BR in shallow events. No content for solo's / small group players.

Solution is that easy, see my OP.

6703C3627CCAC29FA9049445887471FD796EF24C

Edited by Liq
  • Like 6

hahaha oh man. It's kind of funny, but also sad how broken it is

AA5D457EC5631F20830090BA2C2A9632FAF78D50

• Like 3

I have no problem with being ganked at all but weren't the patrol zones meant to increase decent PvP? The current design is sort of stuck between open world PvP and a public event. If there were 100 players coming to the zone it would be great with constant large scale battles - at the moment people are even avoiding the shallows patrol zone, we're talking only ~5% of the population (at most) fighting in the shallow zone most of the time?

Couple of quotes from the 'NAL on hold' announcement:

"Several best ideas from the NAL will be brought into Naval Action in the future: specifically tournaments, challenges, the seamanship experience, and officers. Learnings from NAL will be applied to NA; with the main overreaching goal - fill the world with players, remove gear fear, and reward players for action (not only for kills). "

"Adrenaline, the feel of the hunt, or being hunted gives a lot more spice to battles and our current plan is basically give this NAL feeling (ability to quickly jump to combat and recover losses quickly) in one game without splitting the audience in two."

I understand the tutorial and UI is the priority atm but is there any sort of plan for implementing these in the future? I'm losing all hope atm that any useful NAL style content will be appearing before release. As you might have guessed I'm still a bit salty about the lack of NAL :) and it just feels like NA has devolved to the point where every single action is just a constant grind with a 'fun tax' tacked on.

• Like 5

People come into a patrol fight going: "Sorry for the gank, buddy"

Almost everyone would have more fun with equalized sides, except the "we play together" gank groups. Gank groups can dominate the entire OW outside the zones. Easy fix to let patrols work as intended, please let patrol missions be all they could be.

• Like 3

WTF!? 1,5 BR limit and only open for 3 minutes? This is just signaling perk and pointless. The entire point of having a BR limit is so players can continue to join as they do now and we get larger fights that are more even, and reduce the gank fest we currently have.
If if the battle closes after 3 min then this is just like OW. There is no point of me even sailing out then because I can not get there in time.

This would kill off Patrol for me at least.. It should be a BR advantage limit and I like 1.5, but the battle should be open for 30 min so players can get in and fight!

I did not read the OP.. -_-

Edited by Tiedemann

1 minute ago, Tiedemann said:

WTF!? 1,5 BR limit and only open for 3 minutes? This is just signaling perk and pointless. The entire point of having a BR limit is so players can continue to join as they do now and we get larger fights that are more even, and reduce the gank fest we currently have.
If if the battle closes after 3 min then this is just like OW. There is no point of me even sailing out then because I can not get there in time.

This would kill off Patrol for me at least.. It should be a BR advantage limit and I like 1.5, but the battle should be open for 30 min so players can get in and fight!

The suggestion is to let the battle be open normally for 3 minutes without any BR restrictions, and after that the battle is open the whole time (or 30 min idk) for both sides until a side has reached 1.5x BR of the other one.

• Like 3

The BR limit in shallow waters needs some kind of adjustment then perhaps. Imagine a battle 1vs1. After 3 minutes it's closed. BR of nearly all shallow ships is 80 (correct?). This basically means noone except a basic cutter (which is tremendously annoying btw!) can join this battle. Well that's good for veterans, but bad for new players. 

That's just my thought. In the Nassau patrol the biggest issues are imo the groups of four to five players. The battles are really quick and a group of five people joining means the battle is decided usually. 

Would be fixed with the OP doe.

33 minutes ago, Liq said:

The suggestion is to let the battle be open normally for 3 minutes without any BR restrictions, and after that the battle is open the whole time (or 30 min idk) for both sides until a side has reached 1.5x BR of the other one.

Thanks for explaining :)

Let's say this battle is Player vs Player, no AI, and has been going for about 3 minutes. Why would you let more players join that battle and completely  throw off the balance? A fleet of 10 3rd rates could just hop on in and rofl stomp the frigate. much fun?

(I did not join the battle)

bsSLlEc.jpg

and oh well then there are these. even that one would have allowed even MORE to join the side with 10 in.

HiOAWyy.jpg

• Like 4

battle started 1v1, few mins later turned into 1v3 - bit later some US arrived, but guess what :D Why make it 5v3 (still easy) when you can make it 7v1. lol so broken

B4940F915A1E2C465B075B19FFF36188905125A6

Edited by Liq
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Liq said:

battle started 1v1, few mins later turned into 1v3 - bit later some US arrived, but guess what :D Why make it 5v3 (still easy) when you can make it 7v1. lol so broken

B4940F915A1E2C465B075B19FFF36188905125A6

chain will solve that :D