Game-Labs Forum

Event Zone RoE  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Event Zone RoE need adjustment?

2. 2. If you voted Yes - Do you think players should be able to join battles on each sides until it has reached...

• 1.2x the BR of the other side
    • 1.3x the BR of the other side
    • 1.4x the BR of the other side
    • 1.5x the BR of the other side
    • 1.6x the BR of the other side
    • Other
    • I voted No
  3. 3. For how long should the battle be open for anyone to join, without BR restrictions?

Quick Poll on the Patrol Zone RoE.

I like the general idea of the event zones. Players looking to PvP can fight each other. But I dont like how they're implemented.

For example - you find yourself a decent frigate fight, say 2 vs 3. Can't believe your luck and are all excited. Only to find out, that 20 minutes into the fight, heavy reinforcments are coming in, until the BR is filled - can be like 10 4th rates or whatever.

Do you like it as it is?

Hence my suggestion:

• All battles in the zone first stay open for 3 minutes (?) for anyone to join, no BR restrictions
    • That way you cannot get locked out of a Battle just because you were a tad outside the tagging circle in OW
  • After those 2 minutes, Players can join each sides until it has reached 1.5x (?) the BR of the other side.

Just watched Cpt. Reverse's stream - He found himself a surprise duel vs. a pirate. 10 minutes later, he got reinforcments of 4 ships (5th and 4th rates) on his side. I do not think they should have been allowed to join that battle.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 12

My vote is to make the RoE in the event zone exactly the same as the RoE outside the event zone.  In other words, get rid of the event zone. Bring back small/large/duel room battles, put in a separate mission leaderboard and grant some cosmetic bonuses to winners. 

Drop the open world event tie in completely, it sucks and creates bad behavior.

• Like 5

I'd be happy putting on a 1.2-1.5BR limit as soon as the battle is created - would hopefully stop just large fleets dominating and make it feel more like a public event for everyone.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Trashtoto Kohl said:

Zones are great idea, they just need RoE changes.

Zones are trash and only trashy players participate in trashy content. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Well I like the zone idea so I guess I will keep trash in my name.

They do need alterations though. I dont mind the battles being open as long as they are but the br rating needs adjusting so a group cannot just zerg through the zones. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wraith said:

undoubtedly better than Screening battle "content" where one side suicides just for the sake of preventing an actual fight ^_^

I think once that 1.5x BR limit is reached that the opposite side should open up until the BR is equal, than have it be open for both sides again until 1.5x BR is reached, rinse, repeat. This will keep both sides (BR) balanced and still allow players to join until both sides hit 25 or the battle ends. 

• Like 6

The magic has worn off to me, such an out of the way feature that has very little connection to things going on on the map.

I still voted for 3 minute 1.5xbr

• Like 1

I like and use the zones. I think liq's suggestion would make them better in terms of more fun and less frustration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liq said:

undoubtedly better than Screening battle "content" where one side suicides just for the sake of preventing an actual fight ^_^

I prefer my PvP to have some greater consequence behind it when I sink or lose, so screening still holds more appeal to me.  Marks are meaningless and it's just so shallow.

I just don't understand why the event zone supporters want to balance out BR or tweak battle times, etc., just to create these types of fights on the open world. It's the world's most inefficient matchmaking engine and trying to lay in more and more strange and unpredictable RoE on top of that just to approximate what a lobby could do in seconds seems dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I prefer my PvP to have some greater consequence behind it when I sink or lose, so screening still holds more appeal to me.  Marks are meaningless and it's just so shallow.

I just don't understand why the event zone supporters want to balance out BR or tweak battle times, etc., just to create these types of fights on the open world. It's the world's most inefficient matchmaking engine and trying to lay in more and more strange and unpredictable RoE on top of that just to approximate what a lobby could do in seconds seems dumb.

Because being in a 5th rate tagging a 4th rate only to have 3 more 4th rates, 2 3rd and a 2nd rate all join on one team is stupid beyond belief, but this is what the game is now.  For the most I can't get people to even come to the PVP zone unless they have ships to "throw away" entering the Gank Dome.  Tweaking the ROE where people from the same nation could enter either side of a battle and encouraging thus would make for a lot of fun for everyone.  Now it is just boring and frustrating.

• Like 3

remove circle of death and bring us normal OW RoE.

Circle is shit anyway and doesnt solve kiting nor alt farming or something else.

• Like 4

When patrol zone was introduced, many people said it's most fun they had since population was at 2000. This means they worked. Now they're dead because of ganking. 

1,5br solves ganking.

• Like 3

It should be nice to have such rules even in open world, with the 2-3 minutes timer. 

And perhaps, in capital areas:

- Removing reinforcement by AI SOL.

- Adding a limitation of the attacking BR to 1.5 times the defending BR, from t=0.

- Unlimited time reinforcement for defenders, but limited to 1.5 times the attacking BR.

- Possible reinforcement of attackers during 2-3 minutes,  limited to 1.5 times the defenders.

38 minutes ago, Eleazar de Damas said:

It should be nice to have such rules even in open world, with the 2-3 minutes timer. 

And perhaps, in capital areas:

- Removing reinforcement by AI SOL.

- Adding a limitation of the attacking BR to 1.5 times the defending BR, from t=0.

- Unlimited time reinforcement for defenders, but limited to 1.5 times the attacking BR.

- Possible reinforcement of attackers during 2-3 minutes,  limited to 1.5 times the defenders.

I think it's right, however in OW limit should be probably smaller - eg. it should be possible to get reinforcements of up to 1 (or even 0.8) BR of another side AFTER 3 minutes have passed.

I'm not sure about this suggestion though, as it would change what OW is.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

Certainly agree but the devs want to move some of the things that worked in Legends (challenges, leaderboards etc) into NA - unfortunately I cant see them using a lobby system even for those.

If the small/large battles (or a similar lobby system) returned I'd be back running an event tomorrow but unfortunately atm there just isn't enough for people to do if they only have an hour a day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wraith said:

players pvp'ed way before marks were introduced, for the sake of fighting

I couldnt care less about marks at the moment as you dont need them for much anyway.

I would also be fine with closing the battle after 3 minute join timer  :) But as it is right now with battles being open for half an hour - I think we can all agree that that's probably the worst possible approach

Edited by Liq
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Wraith said:

just to approximate what a lobby could do in seconds seems dumb.

I'm aware. I'm also aware admin's intention of bringing people to the OW. I don't see the point in rallying behind an idea that's not going to be entertained for the time being.

I'm very casual meaning I have the ability to play NA in (many) short spurts but not those long sessions needed to find fun fights in OW.

You could call it sad but the patrols, even in their current sub-optimal form, have worked for me many times better than the OW has for... almost since the start.

The patrols have done more to counteract PvP aversion than anything since eco was introduced.

Pretty, please allow me to escape your "meaning" and "consequence" as I have no use for it. I'm happy for you if you enjoy it, but don't drag me down into it as I'll only drown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jodgi said:

You could call it sad but the patrols, even in their current sub-optimal form, have worked for me many times better than the OW has for... almost since the start.

Thpat post alone proves why patrol-like events, or ideas like towns reporting activity of enemies are critical for this game :)

3 hours ago, Liq said:

players 

I would also be fine with closing the battle after 3 minute join timer  :)

This would only change gank composition to one fast tagger and 1st rates following. I agree with the rest though. 

Edited by vazco

2 hours ago, jodgi said:

The patrols have done more to counteract PvP aversion than anything since eco was introduced.

Are you sure about that?  I actually know far more people who are not PvP averse who avoid them than do them... Even the rationale that you use to describe why they work essentially underscores the fact that they are just a crutch because you can't find PvP elsewhere.  This is more about player numbers than anything else and these events are absolutely toxic for newer players and player retention.  Any new players in our nation that have tried them have quit them because it's essentially flushing time and gold down the toilet because of the ganking.

Sure, you can band-aid it up with yet more convoluted RoE, but if the goal is to get people to PvP then the most efficient way is built-in lobbies and tournament rooms with wagers, etc.  If the goal is to retain players, especially those without the time to devote to sailing for hours doing open world hunting, then build in lobbies for quick, junk-food-style drop-in, drop-out battling.  Leave the OW for econ, trading, pyrating, privateering, grinding up experience on ships, crafting, diplomacy, and RvR. Focus on RoE and content for the sandbox, open world and keep it in the open world, and focus on RoE for "fair and balanced" in lobby-based missions for the people that want it.

The mistake that the developers made with Legends and are making now is to think that the populations of people who want those things are different. We all want these things in different parts, and at different times. And keeping those players interacting is what will grow the game not continue to divide and eliminate us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I actually know far more people who are not PvP averse who avoid them than do them...

It's ok, only those who like them should do them. Also, you and me run in very different circles.

28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Are you sure about that?

No. I don't see everything, everywhere. I base my conclusions on what I can observe.

30 minutes ago, Wraith said:

these events are absolutely toxic for newer players and player retention.  Any new players in our nation that have tried them have quit them because it's essentially flushing time and gold down the toilet because of the ganking.

Where's the problem here? If you like them, do them. If not, don't.

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

to think that the populations of people who want those things are different. We all want these things in different parts, and at different times.

I only want to fight players, ideally. I don't want to spend time doing anything else, again, ideally. Are you sure you are the same as me?

• Like 1