Game-Labs Forum

Event Zone RoE  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Event Zone RoE need adjustment?

2. 2. If you voted Yes - Do you think players should be able to join battles on each sides until it has reached...

• 1.2x the BR of the other side
    • 1.3x the BR of the other side
    • 1.4x the BR of the other side
    • 1.5x the BR of the other side
    • 1.6x the BR of the other side
    • Other
    • I voted No
  3. 3. For how long should the battle be open for anyone to join, without BR restrictions?

Been seeing more and more organized squadrons - ranging from 4 up to 12 ships, fighting each other in the zone. Nassau and Hispaniola mainly, are hot bed and non stop combat.

• Like 1

In two different Patrol zones this weekend, I was in fairly even fights, when....GANK!  As Liq said, it's very demoralizing.  I like the Patrols and as someone else said, even if you lose, you can end up with PVP marks.  You just have to close the battles or make the ROE work.  I prefer the battles to close, because if you've been fighting for a while and are damaged, even one fresh enemy is a death sentence.

PVP marks for damage...good.

Cant escape...good.

Shrinking circle...good.

Battle being open for more than two minutes...Bad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Bad because ? A RoE like that wouldn't be different from OW... and same as OW you'd see Squadrons sweeping one by one, making the Patrol Zone a faux feature.

As I see it, at the moment you have squadrons battling squadrons, fairly similar sizes as they sail to the battle spot and pile in, from one side and the other, with some notable exceptions ( #nocountryforoldduelists ).

The 1.2 / 1.5 BR pile in, always open, balance, seems the most adequate IMO.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

In two different Patrol zones this weekend, I was in fairly even fights, when....GANK!  As Liq said, it's very demoralizing.  I like the Patrols and as someone else said, even if you lose, you can end up with PVP marks.  You just have to close the battles or make the ROE work.  I prefer the battles to close, because if you've been fighting for a while and are damaged, even one fresh enemy is a death sentence.

PVP marks for damage...good.

Cant escape...good.

Shrinking circle...good.

The change to BR is all that is needed. 3 minutes doesn't give enough time for reinforcements to turn up so I would not agree with changing how long the battle is open. As long as their is a br cap then it can stay open as long as it likes. I just dont want 5x my numbers on the other side. Other than that I'm happy

Edited by Liam790

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

The 1.2 / 1.5 BR pile in, always open, balance, seems the most adequate IMO.

+1

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liam790 said:

No, the BR multiplied limit is all that is needed. 3 minutes doesn't give enough time for reinforcements to turn up. As long as their is a br cap then it can stay open as long as it likes. I just dont want 5x my numbers on the other side. Other than that I'm happy

All this means is that you should never initiate combat as you will always die.  Far better to search for an existing battle and jump in on the side that you think has the best chance.  I'm sure the experienced players can fight 1 v 2, but I'm not there yet.  I feel like the reinforcements are the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

All this means is that you should never initiate combat as you will always die.  Far better to search for an existing battle and jump in on the side that you think has the best chance.  I'm sure the experienced players can fight 1 v 2, but I'm not there yet.  I feel like the reinforcements are the problem.

Good exposure of the ulterior feeling behind it.

IIRC the Patrol Zones are a way to go with "store ships" and have a taste of blood, while doing damage and guaranteeing a hefty reward.

24 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

*BR limit in terms of a 1.5x multiplier etc

This means you cannot be zerged. You will never be in a perfectly fair fight so this is as close as you can get. Anyone who by default looks to join the winning team is just the issue... you by the sounds of it. This being what I want to remove. By having a limit of 1.5 times, you have less ability to join the winning side and have to look to balance up the teams.

Why would you always die if you initiate combat??

20 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

All this means is that you should never initiate combat as you will always die.  Far better to search for an existing battle and jump in on the side that you think has the best chance.

"Always die" I don't think we can get away from, that's the written intention of the patrol zones and one of the things that sets them apart from normal excruciating gank-run OW.

I'm sure some people really will try and meta-game the patrols and never initiate but always reinforce keeping the advantage. It won't work that well as your nano-gank might get reinforced before you finish.

26 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

I'm sure the experienced players can fight 1 v 2, but I'm not there yet.

Not only do you need experience, but you need the two opponents to be so clueless that they let themselves be separated. That's the main thing: It's not so much how pro the pros are but how wide the skillgap is. Then there's the equipment gap that is put there to allow ground up players to bully others even at bad odds. I strongly disagree with that and I'm still scratching my head over that intended feature.

33 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

I feel like the reinforcements are the problem.

Indeed. BR join limits will allow the tide to turn back and forth a few times instead of dropping the dread fleet in full force on your head like it is now.

The other day I wanted to play.

76479c2b0a401a7eb35e712be3bb33a0.png

The Russians went in like that and then I knew I would have no fun with no realistic hope for rewards.

I'm actually being scoffed at for trying to make a place for solo players in NA (with my attention almost exclusively directed at patrols). If enabling solo players doesn't help with player retention I'll eat my dirty socks!

What did I do? I logged out.

#Imheretoprovidecontentbutgivemeafrikkinbreak

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I think the Patrol Zones are great.  I'll also give any ROE improvement a fair chance.  I just think that if you've been in battle for some time and are damaged, having fresh players jump in gives a huge disadvantage to the original player.  BTW Liam, I never jump in on the high side and always look to even the battle.  That has bit me on the ass when the guy I "rescue" is nearly dead and the two enemies are fresh.  Bad luck for me but I made the choice.

By all means, let's test BR limit ROE or shorter join timers in the zone but I'm afraid with the current server population, we'll get even less participation.

PVP Zone gives you a bonus in reward so should be more challenging than Open Water. I like to sail with 2-4 friends. We come across an existing battle in the zone. It's 1-2 player ships beating up on one AI. We join on the AI side. Is this a gank? I don't think so because a few minutes later another fleet can join the opposition. PVP Zone is full of unknowns until the battle closes.

What is the join timer on Zone battles now? 45 minutes?

Perhaps there should be no BR difference ROE in the first 3rd of time, 2x BR limit in 2nd third, and 1.2 limit in the final third. 

26 minutes ago, Farrago said:

we'll get even less participation.

Not a big problem, would even be a win for sandbox purists. I think the opposite will happen, though.

28 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Is this a gank?

Not the important question. Is it fun?

The patrols could be fun for everyone. Those who enjoy ganks have the entire OW specifically made for that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Hahahah, very diplomatic answer.. I would have just said yes! 4vs1 is a gank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

The patrols could be fun for everyone. Those who enjoy ganks have the entire OW specifically made for that.

Is it [a gank] fun? It is fun to sail with and fight alongside friends. It is not fun to so outnumber/outpower your opponent, or to be on the receiving end, that the battle outcome is inevitable.

11 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Is it [a gank] fun?

No, not for anyone. Well, when we have loss I guess not losing your ship is a thing that motivates ganks, but pure challenge and thus fun? No.

13 minutes ago, Farrago said:

It is fun to sail with and fight alongside friends.

YES!

That is the tension and joy of the sandbox, right? I don't want to take that away from anyone.

I'm just humbly suggesting that it would be ok with a respite from that tension in a tiny and optional circle.

cBtp9Kw.jpg

he has some valid points

why not make event zone aka. patorl zone work with proper RoE so anyone can get tehmselves a quick battle after work / school / whatever ?

spawning in 30 minutes into a battle without any kind of limits is just BS.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Liq said:

cBtp9Kw.jpg

he has some valid points

why not make event zone aka. patorl zone work with proper RoE so anyone can get tehmselves a quick battle after work / school / whatever ?

spawning in 30 minutes into a battle without any kind of limits is just BS.

Its just gamelabs, they introduce some broken shit and instead of tuning it until it works they break some other stuff noone asked for. And then they call it open development.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

20 minutes ago, Liq said:

cBtp9Kw.jpg

Viewer numbers are dropping...Hype train ... next station post scriptum and then we will se what E3 has to offer 😉

Anyone remember deepgift? Same shit

*almost chokes with laughter*

You post something of a fellow with absolutely no idea how to build a channel, that wants to rush to popularity and, as I said before, makes no justice to NA game and community at all. He is right - this is not your adrenaline rush 90 minutes game.

Plus he "refused" to learn the game... that's the worst...and even insulted fellows that tried...

Smoke build up a consistent channel with 2k+ viewers whenever he's online with DayZ SA for years. He is educated, never gets mad, explains every detail of what he is doing and why, has great chat with everyone, and never ever engages with toxic people. Tell me more about long travels and downtime, how DayZ is different from NA - it is all about chance encounters, believe it or not. But hey, definitely the audience of Mo is not the same, hence the ratio of 2K to 15 - it has nothing to do with the game but the difference between a nice plate of fine cuisine and junk food.

• Like 2

Just now, Hethwill said:

You post something of a fellow with absolutely no idea how to build a channel, that wants to rush to popularity and, as I said before, makes no justice to game and community at all.

Smoke build up a consistent channel with 2k+ viewers whenever he's online with DayZ SA. Tell me more about long travels and downtime. But hey, definitely the audience of Mo is not the same, hence the ratio of 2K to 15 - it has nothing to do with the game.

It would be better if you used the quote option because its hard to tell who youre talking to and people dont get updates on your replys 

2 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

It would be better if you used the quote option because its hard to tell who youre talking to and people dont get updates on your replys 

To whomever uses that fellow post of byebye to make a point valid. :) 

The point is already valid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You post something of a fellow with absolutely no idea how to build a channel, that wants to rush to popularity and, as I said before, makes no justice to NA game and community at all. He is right - this is not your adrenaline rush 90 minutes game.

Smoke build up a consistent channel with 2k+ viewers whenever he's online with DayZ SA for years. He is educated, never gets mad, explains every detail of what he is doing and why, has great chat with everyone, and never ever engages with toxic people. Tell me more about long travels and downtime, how DayZ is different from NA - it is all about chance encounters, believe it or not. But hey, definitely the audience of Mo is not the same, hence the ratio of 2K to 15 - it has nothing to do with the game but the difference between a nice plate of fine cuisine and junk food.

You compare a guy, whoever that is, don't care, playing a game (and it's earlier mod of arma2) hyped for years, bought and played by MILLIONS to a niche game on it's decline with only 120k sold copies and not even 400 players actually playing it at the same time?

Naval Action is simply no twitch-game. @Cpt. Reverse is doing the best job you can do with it. Constant pvp, great skill and tactics he shows and is interacting with his up to 100 viewers. But that is pretty much it. Naval Action has no audience. Neither do you see EVE online streamers with thousands of viewers for example.

You see Twitchers that are actually living from their streaming playing games that have audience. They play upcoming games, AAA titles, hyped stuff, E-sports games. Not niche. Because niche does not let your channel grow. So I fully understand mo in his decision to leave this game be. AFK-sailing is a chore, but you have to do it if you wanna do pvp or you must have a guy doing it for you and it's boring.

• Like 1

Totally.

A streamer goes down plenty of times, has a great time, transmits the best time in game.

I pointed DayZ because the similarities are clear - chance encounters, pvp, might die fast, might be ambushed by a group, etc.

If a streamer makes a "dull" walking simulator look great, then he is a good streamer worth listening to.

And 100% with you. Some games are niche :) 

29 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

My reference wasn't meant to link to "can't become a super well known streamer with this game", but rather "can't get a decent fight in a reasonable amount of time"

• Like 1