Game-Labs Forum

Solo hunting help

This map is too large for what this game is trying to accomplish.  I'm guessing, but I bet at least 80% of the ports see very little to zero traffic.  Reducing the size of the map and the number of ports by half might help.  In the meantime, of course PvPers go to capitals.  To PvP you have to go where players are.  But now those areas are off limits leaving PvPers nowhere to go unless they have a large group or disposable ship (Patrol Zone).

This game was founded on the premise of unrestricted open-world PvP.  And this game was far better two years ago when it was just that.  All of the changes to make PvP inorganically "fair" have made it worse and made it harder to find PvP.  

Currently I log on and unless there is a large group going somewhere, I log off.  It is not worth my time making long sails to some of the isolated places that I might find PvP that is not protected by Reinforcement Zones and their magical 1st rates.

It seems like a large number of players are playing this game risk free, full-time.  While PvPers are out risking their ships trying to find something in a Reinforcement Zone.   

Suggestions:

1.  Make reinforcement zones much smaller and have realistic and random reinforcements.  

2.  Don't make player level a factor; otherwise you will incentive players to have low-level alts.  It happened in POTBS and we had a glut of lvl 25 traders.

3.  Make valuable resources outside of the Reinforcement Zones.  Move valuable resources away from capitals.

4.  Make high level missions only available away from the capital or outside Reinforcement Zones.

5.  Bring back more free towns so players can spread around the map more effectively, especially solo hunters.  Relying on RvR to carry the battle on a map this size is not viable.  RvR should be over resource control.  In POTBS it was usually over deep water ports. 

6.  Make it instant death for any pirates that stay and Mortimer Town and carebear.  They should be ashamed and should not be authorized the Jolly Roger.  Same for pirate "traders".  

7.  Reduce the map size and port number???

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jerome said:

This map is too large for what this game is trying to accomplish.  I'm guessing, but I bet at least 80% of the ports see very little to zero traffic.  Reducing the size of the map and the number of ports by half might help.  In the meantime, of course PvPers go to capitals.  To PvP you have to go where players are.  But now those areas are off limits leaving PvPers nowhere to go unless they have a large group or disposable ship (Patrol Zone).

This game was founded on the premise of unrestricted open-world PvP.  And this game was far better two years ago when it was just that.  All of the changes to make PvP inorganically "fair" have made it worse and made it harder to find PvP.  

Currently I log on and unless there is a large group going somewhere, I log off.  It is not worth my time making long sails to some of the isolated places that I might find PvP that is not protected by Reinforcement Zones and their magical 1st rates.

It seems like a large number of players are playing this game risk free, full-time.  While PvPers are out risking their ships trying to find something in a Reinforcement Zone.   

Suggestions:

1.  Make reinforcement zones much smaller and have realistic and random reinforcements.  

already discussed in many posts 

2.  Don't make player level a factor; otherwise you will incentive players to have low-level alts.  It happened in POTBS and we had a glut of lvl 25 traders.

we have already high level alts and low level alts  its not a factor

3.  Make valuable resources outside of the Reinforcement Zones.  Move valuable resources away from capitals.

many nations  have to sail for valuable resources one million miles,  so the game has it already 

4.  Make high level missions only available away from the capital or outside Reinforcement Zones.

already the case( for example : the dutch,... and they are not participating in those missions)

5.  Bring back more free towns so players can spread around the map more effectively, especially solo hunters.  Relying on RvR to carry the battle on a map this size is not viable.  RvR should be over resource control.  In POTBS it was usually over deep water ports. 

not freetown , but more slots for having ports is more needed

6.  Make it instant death for any pirates that stay and Mortimer Town and carebear.  They should be ashamed and should not be authorized the Jolly Roger.  Same for pirate "traders".  

pirates are only sinking ....and not dying ...a strange childish weird slip of the brain i think...instant dead only occur when the game crashes, and you walk away for sugar candy

7.  Reduce the map size and port number???

you can go play tetris or gamble on your  ship and don't have to sail at all ...

The very big problem, the lack of players.........  First of all.

I doubt that the solution to the lack of pvp is to be able to attack transports ... even if it is of players .... Removing the safe-zones and being able to attack transports do not think that is what the pvp players look for.

To have pvp the first thing that has to happen is that the players lose the fear of losing their ships .... the more importance is given to the ships and the harder it is to get them, the more afraid of losing them, and therefore less fighting. ..

Since the last year and a half, the game has been getting complicated little by little ... it becomes more difficult to get good ships, and there is more difference between good ships (with magic cards) and bad ships ..... Now, with a bad ship, you do not want to go out and fight because you are nobody, and with a good boat you do not go out alone, for fear of being destroyed. As a result, every last change has made the game more and more boring ......
Edited by Alvar Fañez de Minaya
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alvar Fañez de Minaya said:

I doubt that the solution to the lack of pvp is to be able to attack transports ... even if it is of players .... Removing the safe-zones and being able to attack transports do not think that is what the pvp players look for.

To have pvp the first thing that has to happen is that the players lose the fear of losing their ships .... the more importance is given to the ships and the harder it is to get them, the more afraid of losing them, and therefore less fighting. ..
From last year and half.

Since the last year and a half, the game has been getting complicated little by little ... it becomes more difficult to get good ships, and there is more difference between good ships (with magic cards) and bad ships ..... Now, with a bad ship, you do not want to go out and fight because you are nobody, and with a good boat you do not go out alone, for fear of being destroyed. As a result, every last change has made the game more and more boring ......

its a combination of things your talk about here ,and can be not interpreted as main game play.

but for instance yesterday there was one player who sunk 4 player  traders in 2 hours in 4 separate battles 

so there is good pvp around , also the same player had a battle where he had to run ,so....

i do agree on the magic cards : that's not normal game play, but you can call it cheating also if you like...(at lest i call it: " remarcable strange things happen")

the lack of pvp is triggered by the lack of the high quality upgrades, and BOOKS

who are missing in the game and only available by dev s fanboys..(if you get my drift)

after 20 hours of sailing i  never found a good book to read :)

ps. the english is so bad you have to read between the lines..:P

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

Do not try to force people to play the game the way YOU want them to play. Everyone plays this game for a different reason. The best way to encourage PvP is to better insensitive it. Make people want to come out of the safe zones. 

The issue is, most veterans will not be around their own Safe zone, they will be out in the world doing things. When a enemy fleet rolls upto another Nations safe zone they will rarely face another Nations veteran players, they will face the new players who are just getting started or the PvErs. Which normally ends in the attacking Veterans steam rolling the opposing side. If you took away the safe zone you would just find new players seal clubbed by the so called 'Vets' and 'Elite' players until they quit and your population will tank heavily. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'm not sure we need fewer reinforcement zones, just more encouragement to leave the safe zones (ultra high taxes inside zones, ultra low building-production within zones, decreased xp and gold rewards within zones, etc.).

i am not sure think about it

what happens if you have to pay 10 million for a frigate ?

i dont think you want that

also restictions is not a good thing or do you want to play with the same guy over and over again

2 hours ago, Alvar Fañez de Minaya said:

No island, no port, nor the entire Eastern seaboard of the Americas is self sufficient, every port is dependent on some imported goods, hence the need for traders. That dependence is not reflected well in game,  if it were then traders would be far more at risk than they are, as economy is tied in to the fate of all nations, no economy,  no building, no building, no warships, no warships no fighting. In a game where people just want to sink ships (PVP/PVE) and have ships provided this does not matter so much, but, in a game where the taking of land is important (RVR) it is vital since part of taking land is dependent on having the resources to build ships to do so, kill the enemies economy and you kill their ability to invade or defend.

The odds in war do not vary significantly, when you leave port everyone has a 50/50 chance of being attacked and sunk, no matter how good you are, no matter how good your ships are, ask any of the good players, they get sunk now and again, sometimes by players of lesser ability! Their odds are still 50/50 the next time they go out. Once that is accepted then it is easier to leave safe zones, one day it may be you who sinks a Hachi, a Sveno or Christendom (whom I have not yet sunk, but perhaps, one day, :) Who knows?) 

It is not essential to be the best, or have the best equipment to beat an enemy, what is essential is to have the will to confront your opponent, the ability to learn from him and the mistakes you (or he) makes, to use what you have to it's strengths and his weaknesses, most of all to go back and do it all over again if it does not work out the first time. As you improve the quality of your ships will improve with you, Ok, so you, (and I mean that generally, not personally) may never become one of the big names but why should that prevent any one from trying?  

The biggest thing that will get OW PVP into the game is when all the die hard PvP'ers start fighting each other rather than looking for changes to the game that gives them easy targets on people who at that time are not looking for PvP.

Its the same every thread on the subject, people think they will get more PvP by forcing others to be fodder for them. And yes I know its supposed to be a PvP game and when I want PvP I will come out of the safe zone and I am sure I will find the PvP that I want. They already spoilt the safe zones with the new RoE as now you have to be wary that you do not get jumped when you are already damaged from AI battle.

• Like 5

Agree with archaos and this is why current pvp event RoE needs adjusting.

All battles stay open for 3 min without restrictions first and then players can join either side till it has reached 1.5x BR of the other side.

I wont even bother trying to go to the event solo in a frigate because I know the probability of a fleet of 4th rates spawning in half an hour later is pretty high. Should not be possible.

Not found any argument against that suggestion

@admin ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Archaos said:

The biggest thing that will get OW PVP into the game is when all the die hard PvP'ers start fighting each other

I'm doing my part by playing the patrol mission according to admin's intention. I regard my ship as already sunk when I go in. I go in alone. I (try to) tag anything that moves and expect to be ganked by the "smart" players.

I'm going to waste all my ships this way and then continue with shop ships or premium ships. I see players in frigates and smaller ships going in solo each time I'm there so there's still reason for me to keep at it. With repair and ship cost it could prove hyper expensive, tho.

Come gank me, i won't mind.