Game-Labs Forum
Jerome

Solo hunting is dead

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Except your time, and only until you get tired of the rinse and repeat of taking your store-bought or captured trash out to get sunk within an hour of hitting the PvP/Gank Event.

Super sustainable is this new gameplay model. :rolleyes:

Reading your posts, I think you should change your game some time ago already. It seems you're just not satisfied with what NA is and where it goes. I would say you're probably bored and nostalgic :)

44 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

In PBs maybe, but 5th rates are pretty useless atm

What is good about them? Doing hostility feels like punishment

Yea I agree.  

Hostility missions used to be "bearable", knowing that you can bang them out easily if you brought enough people.  Now with the recent changes they are a huge slog and heavily weighted in the hands of the defender.  It's very easy to counter hostility now and the lack of PBs reflects this.

Considering most people roll out in bellonas or above to go do PVP these days I have a hard time believing that ship balance is better than ever.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, vazco said:

Reading your posts, I think you should change your game some time ago already. It seems you're just not satisfied with what NA is and where it goes. I would say you're probably bored and nostalgic :)

Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Are you seriously advocating for those players with thousands of hours across multiple accounts, the ones with the insight and experience to judge exactly where this game's potential and shortcomings lie, to just pack their bags and go?

I'd turn that around by saying that your complacency and inability to get away from kissing developer ass may be clouding your assessment of the current game and meta. :) My critique is always multifaceted in that I try to assess mechanics and decisions on the basis of how they affect new players as well as those seeking end-game content.  If you'd actually bothered to read, or didn't lack the capability to comprehend my posts over the years, you'd know very much that I am only very critical of decisions that in my opinion threaten to cut off at the knees or throat any  gameplay that fails in the goal of longterm sustainability.

So, you're free to your opinion but don't dismiss mine and tell me to just go away because I'm not happy sipping the slop that's handed to me.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

In PBs maybe, but 5th rates are pretty useless atm

What is good about them? Doing hostility feels like punishment

sure but at the current state compared to hostility before it is better than ever.

Ofcourse flags would be even better but oh well

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Are you seriously advocating for those players with thousands of hours across multiple accounts, the ones with the insight and experience to judge exactly where this game's potential and shortcomings lie, to just pack their bags and go?

I'd turn that around by saying that your complacency and inability to get away from kissing developer ass may be clouding your assessment of the current game and meta. :) My critique is always multifaceted in that I try to assess mechanics and decisions on the basis of how they affect new players as well as those seeking end-game content.  If you'd actually bothered to read, or didn't lack the capability to comprehend my posts over the years, you'd know very much that I am only very critical of decisions that in my opinion threaten to cut off at the knees or throat any  gameplay that fails in the goal of longterm sustainability.

So, you're free to your opinion but don't dismiss mine and tell me to just go away because I'm not happy sipping the slop that's handed to me.

Sorry, I shouldn't tell you what to do :)

On the other hand when I hear from you that you would want to remove Patrol events since they don't align with your feeling of immersion, I get quite frustrated - as you're advocating to remove the one and currently the only aspect of the game which actually helps reach important goal, which is described by user story:
"as a player I want to be able to have a meaningful fight with cooperation with my friends, within 30-45 minutes from logging into the game"

I'm not sure what goal you would want to reach by removing patrol events, and I don't understand why it's bothering you so much that there's a mode which allows for PvP'ers to fight with each other without having to search each other blindly in a vast and empty OW.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vazco said:

I'm not sure what goal you would want to reach by removing patrol events, and I don't understand why it's bothering you so much that there's a mode which allows for PvP'ers to fight with each other without having to search each other blindly in a vast and empty OW.

I'm completely fine with this being part of the game. I, in fact, would enjoy this aspect of the game. But the Open World is a craptastic match making engine. Why should you have to sail at all to get into a nice, fair and balanced fight?

So instead, why not put all your whinging into asking for Small/Large/Duel room battles to be put back in the game and leave the Open World to sandbox-style gameplay?  We don't need to pollute the RoE, discourage new players, and confuse those new and old players alike with mechanics that promote bad behavior by trying to merge both of these play styles (fair/balanced PvP vs. open world sandbox) into the same game world.

It's dumbfounding to me that those people that want the "jump in and play" option wouldn't support having lobby-based game play over the broken and inconsistent RoE being proposed for PvP events.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vazco said:

have a meaningful fight with cooperation with my friends

Reinterpretation of historical age of sail in a computer game, with all aspects, good and challenging stuff :) , but keep reading...

There's no denial that the naval combat is the best, and to the best of it the "pvp zone arena" are setup and open. They are a system of "being heroic in a area designated by the Admiralty". And to this a snappy salute to the masters and commanders that show superb gameplay and ship handling with the wind and facing many enemies. Stuff of legend. That's what the zones are for. Not for complacency and duels.

Going to repeat it.

Green zones are ok.

The game has no content outside the green zone, no reasons to sail outside the green zone.

Everyone could stop crying and start suggesting good ideas for devs.

11 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Going to repeat it.

Green zones are ok.

The game has no content outside the green zone, no reasons to sail outside the green zone.

Everyone could stop crying and start suggesting good ideas for devs.

One word: sealed bottles

Protected areas are fine BUT only for low rank players.

If you are rear admiral you shouldn't benefit from protected areas, because you had the time to know the basic mechanics of the game and you are supposed to be able to deal with it.

My proposal would be: protected areas only work for players with flag captain rank and bellow. Commodores and rear admirals, you are not safe anymore, sorry.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

My proposal would be: protected areas only work for players with flag captain rank and bellow. Commodores and rear admirals, you are not safe anymore, sorry.

I and many others already suggested this many times but the carebears can't handle it, so the devs said no.... but I'd like to see the number of nations with safezones reduced at least ( still not going to happen, I know... ).

If the game had content, you would not care if rear admirals sail safe in green zones.

If there were content, rear admirals would not be even sailing in green zones.

Leave green zones as those are, those are perfect test for developers. As long as people stay on green, developers know that their content sucks and the game is not ready for launch.

• Like 4

On 3/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, Banished Privateer said:

Solo hunting is dead now. All this game is about sailing in big fleets of SOLs and ganking.

Always has been that way. The solo player has always been discouraged by this game and forums!! Gank fleets from day one. You are told often here in forums and in game to join a clan... that’s the way to level up, that’s the safest way to be in open world, blah blah blah... This game is incredibly hard for the solo player/hunter. That’s why I enjoy it so much!!! My hat is off to those of you who have excelled at solo hunting!! Salute!!!

I remember when resources was more scarce. I made a good profit hauling coal to the capital. It was a risky trip, full of pirates and the french.
I remember when there was a coast guard, patroling around our ports and keeping them safe.
I remember when there was a clan effort to build SoL.

I miss the olden days of NA 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demsity said:

I remember when resources was more scarce. I made a good profit hauling coal to the capital. It was a risky trip, full of pirates and the french.
I remember when there was a coast guard, patroling around our ports and keeping them safe.
I remember when there was a clan effort to build SoL.

I miss the olden days of NA 

Those olden days only were there for a few months, game rapidly changed with the playerdrop.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:25 PM, Landsman said:

I and many others already suggested this many times but the carebears can't handle it, so the devs said no.... but I'd like to see the number of nations with safezones reduced at least ( still not going to happen, I know... ).

If a PVP player struggles in handling the "last version" of IA reinforcements, he is doing it wrong.

If I shoud point out the actual problem of safe zones for solo PVP players I'd bet on forever open battles that allow countergank fleets to spawn right on top of the attacker.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

keep begging for the victim creation engine that you want this game to be, keep watching it disappear and wonder why.

• Like 2