Game-Labs Forum
Jerome

Solo hunting is dead

I blame the size and "reinforcements" in the reinforcement zones.  There are two ways to PvP.  Either get a group big enough to challenge people in the reinforcement zones or do PvP zone missions.  Logging on and hunting alone is a waste of time; there is nowhere to hunt.  

Reduce the size of the reinforcement zones and make the reinforcements reasonable.

• Like 6

So here is what I can do if I log on and nobody from my clan is on.  I can sail to Belize and maybe catch someone outside the zone.  Or maybe catch someone near the port of Tumbado.  Most likely, I won't see anyone.  Today I hunted Belize, jumped in a 1st rate's mission out of sheer desperation, and almost sank a player in a Indefatigable before the 1st rate and a frigate chased my Endymion off.  That was three hours of gameplay and that is all I got. 

Open world PvP is so hard to find now.

You're right, this is a problem. It's a shame we have all these people ready and willing to PVP but they cannot find the right battles.

With no objective outside the zones, there isn't much option but to go to where there are most players which is reinforcment zones where you get fleets of guys postering and poking but not actually battling because 1.The attacker can't attack because the defending sides will get reinforcments 2. The defenders don't attack for the same reason, they won't get reinforcements.

Great way to chum up toxicity, epeens clashing in words instead of cannons.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

No you got it all wrong, didn't you know OW PvP is better than ever and only the evil patrol missions killed it? /s

• Like 1

Imo it‘s been dead for 1.5 years now. Patrol missions are a good change but useless for solo players. Atleast for now.

• Like 2

I've felt for a long time they are working towards removing PVP from the game, now that NAL has been canned( they say temporary but it's done)  it seems we will have to wait for another game to come out.

39 minutes ago, Jerome said:

So here is what I can do if I log on and nobody from my clan is on.  I can sail to Belize and maybe catch someone outside the zone.  Or maybe catch someone near the port of Tumbado.  Most likely, I won't see anyone.  Today I hunted Belize, jumped in a 1st rate's mission out of sheer desperation, and almost sank a player in a Indefatigable before the 1st rate and a frigate chased my Endymion off.  That was three hours of gameplay and that is all I got. 

Open world PvP is so hard to find now.

So you jumped someones mission and almost sank them and were eventually chased off by superior numbers, well that sounds like PvP to me, or does it only count as PvP when you win? You know the rules of safe zone battles if you choose to take the risks then its up to you.

Stop trying to blame the safe zones for your lack of PvP, if there were enough people interested in it I am sure you would have no problem finding it. Put an announcement out in global that you will be in a certain area looking for PvP and see what sort of response you get rather than trying to get easy targets in the safe zones.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pada said:

Imo it‘s been dead for 1.5 years now. Patrol missions are a good change but useless for solo players. Atleast for now.

They are going to stay useless for solo players, clans will crucify anyone who tries to suggest something that makes patrol missions better for solo players because it will stop them farming the solos who do enter.

I got flak for suggesting that battles only stay open if the BR is unfair (so small, fair battles can occur and after 2 mins the duelists or small groups can fight without being interrupted.)

Apparently that "doesn't allow battles to grow" which is a fancy way of saying it doesn't allow clans to jump in with 4 bellonas and slaughter the solo players.

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trashtoto Kohl said:

Solo PvP is dead for a long time sadly.

We have a choice of hunting around for a long time and maybe get lucky finding a trader (zzzZZZzzzz...) or find ourselves getting ganked.

or

going in alone in patrols, getting ganked, but getting a little damage done towards marks reward.

I'm doing the latter when time allows and at Aves yesterday I saw four lone frigates going into the zone (not at the same time), patrols could still work out fine.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jodgi said:

We have a choice of hunting around for a long time and maybe get lucky finding a trader (zzzZZZzzzz...) or find ourselves getting ganked.

or

going in alone in patrols, getting ganked, but getting a little damage done towards marks reward.

I'm doing the latter when time allows and at Aves yesterday I saw four lone frigates going into the zone (not at the same time), patrols could still work out fine.

It's artificial pvp, have nothing to do with Age of Sail or something what some of us were expecting from this game.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jim Broadreach said:

Reinforcement-Zones are to big /long.

7C6E560E1D1D632195D1D98D37E8FCB8A241544F

Not good for Pirats

Well dont camp them at the safe zone, work out where the traders are coming from and get them on route.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cabral said:

It's artificial pvp

True.

39 minutes ago, Cabral said:

have nothing to do with Age of Sail or something what some of us were expecting from this game.

Age of sail was mostly taking prizes, merchantmen, whalers and what not, with the odd face-off between warships and rare large engagements, right?

It has proven difficult to get people to sign up on playing the victim in your age of sail experience. 

• Like 2

I loved the game about 1-2 years ago

could sail a frigate, attack other frigates, without having to worry about imba 1st rates spawning in or battle being open for half an hour.

protecting your shores was a tough task; now you can just go afk sail in a fleet of indiamans because noone can attack you anyway. crafting is basically a fake feature now aka. time waste

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, Cabral said:

It's artificial pvp, have nothing to do with Age of Sail or something what some of us were expecting from this game.

Agreed. What decided the 7 years war between France and Britain? - the british navys ability to project power to three different theatres, raid the french economy into banqruptcy and finance the prussian army thanks to excellent credits as well as free flowing trade. As the game is atm there is no Quiberon Bay, no pillaging of ports and no economic warfare. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Well dont camp them at the safe zone, work out where the traders are coming from and get them on route.

The chances of taking a trader in any one of 10+ locations rather than at the only end location is ridiculous. If a nation would be interested in free flowing trade then it should hunt the raiders away. Most prizes taken in both the 7 year war, the american war of independence and the napoleonic war, was either merchantmen or raiders. 

31 minutes ago, jodgi said:

True.

Age of sail was mostly taking prizes, merchantmen, whalers and what not, with the odd face-off between warships and rare large engagements, right?

It has proven difficult to get people to sign up on playing the victim in your age of sail experience. 

It's difficult to get anyone to sign up for this "experience". Just look at the numbers, even with the merge the numbers are dwindling.

Make trading more rewarding - for european trade. Make PvP more accessible and missions to spawn in the capital zone. Remove forts and towers from anything but the regional capitals (make it more realistic) and remove the reinforcementzones.

7 minutes ago, Liq said:

I loved the game about 1-2 years ago

could sail a frigate, attack other frigates, without having to worry about imba 1st rates spawning in or battle being open for half an hour.

protecting your shores was a tough task; now you can just go afk sail in a fleet of indiamans because noone can attack you anyway. crafting is basically a fake feature now aka. time waste

I wish the devs could realize this but maybe it is how they want the game to be. Safezones should have like 20% taxes ( someone has to pay for the AI coastguard, right? ) on anything that isn't shop ships or repairs / cannons and only GB, France and Spain should have one at their main capital...

34 minutes ago, Archaos said:

It was not camping i was Sailing the Coast alonge from Tumbardo to El Rancho.

I have seen many 1st-2ndRates doing missions or attacking Fleets in RF-Z, then i have seen a view mins later the Indiaman Fleet in hope he will be away or do not realise that he is in the Zone. But it gets bad.

3 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Make PvP more accessible

That's the intention of the patrol missions.

• Like 1

I don't see solo hunting returning for most people until trading/pvp/missions etc are looked at all together rather than separate parts.

Trading won't be popular until players (who want to 'trade') are treated more like captains that haul goods rather than business people who buy and sell the goods. Trader missions could be brought back as simply take something from point A to point B - with the goods given to the hauler at point A (obviously these goods could not be sold).

• This would open up trading for pretty much everyone rather than just the super rich, allowing new players to learn about navigating the world and how to sink.
  • Risk could be fairly high but the amount lost would be fairly trivial for most players - instead of losing most of a gold stash.
  • Rewards could be in the form of trade marks (+gold, xp etc) - PvP players would also be rewarded with a small amount of marks for sinking a trader on a mission?
  • Missions would be constantly changed to move haulers towards (and through) combat/patrol zones to improve open world PvP with increased rewards for riskier runs.

Some players might just want to go on a short run to the nearest regional capital, while others want that two hour run through pirate infested waters :) 

Oh and leaderboards for just about everything as well - the one obvious thing that came from the Legends test was that a lot of players will do just about anything to get their name towards the top of a list :D

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Archaos said:

So you jumped someones mission and almost sank them and were eventually chased off by superior numbers, well that sounds like PvP to me, or does it only count as PvP when you win? You know the rules of safe zone battles if you choose to take the risks then its up to you.

Stop trying to blame the safe zones for your lack of PvP, if there were enough people interested in it I am sure you would have no problem finding it. Put an announcement out in global that you will be in a certain area looking for PvP and see what sort of response you get rather than trying to get easy targets in the safe zones.

You don't get my point.  I am unable to find good targets while hunting solo.  Jumping into a 1st rates mission with a 5th rate is not good pvp, it was out of boredom and desperation.