Game-Labs Forum

@admin this is the third thread I'm making about this over the last 2 years. The way people can control fires is just retarded. Nothing more than retarded. I've seen people control fires over the time of 50min....Survival should not be an option to turn off! If someone wants to fireship the mod itself should unlock survival as an option and imo fireships should be overhauled as ai fleet ship maybe. 

• Like 2

I remember back in the color mods days I chased some one a whole battle with a blue fireship fitting on and keep my sails and armor pretty healthy but they wouldn't stay close to me cause they figure I was going to blow....it was funny but I sunk him in the end after demasting him.

As for the ship knowledge maybe add a limit crew you can take on the ship to min crew allowed.  Why would you bring full crew if your planing to blow up?  This will also make it harder to control the fire when it starts if your manning guns and other things as you are under crewing you ship.

4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I remember back in the color mods days I chased some one a whole battle with a blue fireship fitting on and keep my sails and armor pretty healthy but they wouldn't stay close to me cause they figure I was going to blow....it was funny but I sunk him in the end after demasting him.

As for the ship knowledge maybe add a limit crew you can take on the ship to min crew allowed.  Why would you bring full crew if your planing to blow up?  This will also make it harder to control the fire when it starts if your manning guns and other things as you are under crewing you ship.

Whether by accident or design you hit a very valid point about fire ships, They carried minimum crew, barely enough to sail them, much as prize ships did, and on the final leg off their journey, the wheel was lashed and the ship abandoned. They were not particularly successful against a fleet under sail, but against an anchored fleet they proved devastating for the Spanish Armada, while of the eight fire ships sent two were intercepted and the remainder scattered the Spanish fleet, no Spanish ships were actually burned, but it was sufficient to end any hope of invasion by the Spanish Armada. 

Of course the game itself does not lend itself well to the proper usage of fire ships as fleets spend little time at anchor, but there have been times where fire ships actually worked well against a fleet under way so there is at least a limited use for them, even at a psychological level, the threat of fire ships in the middle of a fleet is one that no sane Admiral would willingly ignore.

Edited by Sir Lancelot Holland
As an after thought, perhaps some form of trigger mechanism could be added, Fire ships after all were set ablaze by the crew before thye abandoned ship.
  • Like 1

To me it's strange you can't start a fire on a fireship yourself. In real battle fireships were always incinerated by the crew. 

Once fire starts, it shouldn't be possible to extinguish it on a fireship though. 

• Like 6

Yeah you could combine a Fireship mod and BRACE.

Activate BRACE with a fireship mod, and the fire is started, and the helm lashed (hence no steering etc), and off she goes. plus crew all bails off into lifeboats.