Game-Labs Forum

Patrol zone ROE is still an issue - BR limit

If it was possible to escape when the team difference was too high it may work to solve this. The weaker side shouldn't be locked in unless the teams are close in BR. 

9 minutes ago, Flinch said:

If it was possible to escape when the team difference was too high it may work to solve this. The weaker side shouldn't be locked in unless the teams are close in BR. 

A good idea, though would work only for an initial tag. In case one side gets huge reinforcements, it's more complex. 

22 minutes ago, vazco said:

A good idea, though would work only for an initial tag. In case one side gets huge reinforcements, it's more complex. 

If lets say 8 spanish tag 5 prussians at a tumbado patrol then call for reinforcements from nearby la habana making the battle 20 to 5 then the prussisns should their escape timers back unless the sides balance out again. 

It would strongly discourage batphoning a bigger gank. 

What about this,

1) After 30 (or 45) minutes, anyone can leave the battle if not tagged.

2) If BR difference is too much, damage is multiplied by BR ratio. Strong side ratio is 0,6 x5000 damage = 3000 damage, weak side 1,4 x 5000 = 9000 final damage. So may be some will not join very strong side. Joining the weak side to boost their damage aiming for 20-30 pvp marks.

Better yet, for the first 5 minutes anyone can leave if not tagged. After that 1.5x br rule applies, that's how battles are balanced. What makes patrols great is you don't have to do them with friends. You can jump into any battle you see with people which would be destroyed by limiting them to parties of 4.  That pretty much forces me to find people in my nation for an event that has nothing to do with nations, it's just a casual arena clash. Save that for REAL patrol missions, on the OW

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

I'd rather see a simple damage earned multiplier for lesser rated vessels, customized to each patrol zone, than any kind of br limit or shortened entry timer.  For example, in Hispaniola patrol, +100% for unrated vessels then + 50% for 6th's, +25% for 5th's, +12% for 4th's, +6% for 3rd's, and +3% for 2nd rates.    In Nassau patrol something like just a +15% for unrated might be called for.   I think it's worth a shot.

Please though, no more basic cutters with patrol orders.

Edited by Greysteak
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

What about this,

1) After 30 (or 45) minutes, anyone can leave the battle if not tagged.

2) If BR difference is too much, damage is multiplied by BR ratio. Strong side ratio is 0,6 x5000 damage = 3000 damage, weak side 1,4 x 5000 = 9000 final damage. So may be some will not join very strong side. Joining the weak side to boost their damage aiming for 20-30 pvp marks.

Oh god no. It would be hilarious and terrible to insta kill ships with all that extra damage. 

5 hours ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

4 players ?! Your kidding right? This is a MMO not a 4v4 ship combat Sim. The dynamic entry sounds more reasonable of a solution.

why not also for solo players? MMO = Make your own content

Sometimes you just play an hour or two after work, minding your own busines cooling down listening to music, shoot some stuff etc.

now if two frigates meet in the zone - and they fight each other. Why would there be any space for a fleet of 1st rates to join half an hour later and completely ruin the experience?

Best solution IMHO:

• When a battle instance gets created in the PvP zone, it's open regularly for the first 3 minutes, as any other battle is. No BR restrictions (That way you can't get "locked" out when you're not inside the tagging circle)
  • After those 3 minutes, players can join sides until it has reached 1.5 times the BR of the other side.

Ganking is lame and after a couple hours of doing it you'll get bored very quickly. A fleet of 10 SoLs should NOT be able to join a battle which has been going for 20 minutes on the side which is already outnumbering by far.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Christendom said:

Except the USS constitution wasn’t locked in a battle and could run if facing too many foes.  So not totally historical.

Some simple solutions.  

- allow players to leave if the BR imbalance is too high.  

- close the battle after a certain amount of time.  5-15 mins. 

- if BR is reasonably close the battle is locked and no one can leave.  Within say 200 or 300.

——

I find your sandbox comment curious.  If this game is a sandbox why do we not have traditional sandbox features like clan wars, fighting within nations and a reputation system.  Anything goes in the sandbox is the theme is it not?

he already clarified that they could run in open world. which isn't hard given how small the tagging circles are now. 

With NAL being put on hold I'd love to see more chances for consistently 'even' fights in NA. Most new players coming in are going to be solo initially and it doesn't really help the population if the first pvp they encounter is being ganked a couple of times for 3 pvp marks :), perhaps players should only be able to join on the smaller BR side? Should battlegroups even be allowed in patrol zones?

• Like 6

Get rid of these events and introduce ‘Raids’ on enemy ports. 

You log onto the game and suggest the idea to a few friends, buy a ‘flag’ or some other mechanic, then see what happens.

War is uncertain, you may find resistance or not. If there is a detrimental effect to the enemy, it’s likely there will be some response. 

Unlike PBs, it’s only a temprary setback.

#3cheersforNA

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

Patrol zone: you go there at your own risk.

If you're afraid of gank bring friends, if there are no friendly around  or if you can't muster enough people to go with you don't go to the deep water patrol.

If you're too afraid to lose your ship take a crappy one from the store or cap a npc.

If you're still too afraid to lose your ship just try to muster enough people to participate in fleet practice. But at then end nothing is forcing you to go to the patrol zone.

If it is not your thing you can still do some pvp somewhere else... or pve (just be careful about where you do it). If pve is not your thing you can still trade goods and/or build ships. And who knows you'll find the secrete feature

There are so much ifs. Guess we all want as many people doing patrols when there are ifs people will choose not to go there. Sure its just about dmg but tbh who is satisfied when he/she can say "That was a good day I did some dmg but why I get spanked by big non random grps all the time" Sure you can gather randoms. Randoms are randoms well attuned grps are well attuned grps. There is a reason why moba restict big grps to join the same battle. Its just no fun in the long run.

• Like 1

People need to understand when they go into the pvp zone there is a good chance they wont make it back out. No matter who it is. even if your rolling with a large fleet there is still a chance that your going to run into a larger fleet. and then once the battle happends you don't know who is going to join what side for the 20 mins its open. Why is everyone so afraid of loosing a ship? ships are stupid cheap and easy to get. anything that's not 4/5 or 5/5 is a throw away ship anyways. so just don't take ur best ships into the zone. If  you go into the zone be ready to not come out. you may make it out or you may not. that's just how it is. ur not loosing anything of value so stop crying about getting sunk. and if you did loose something of value its your own fault. 

all that to say this @admin the battles staying open have created much needed content for lots of players does it lead to uneven and unpredictable battles... sure. but there has been more fighting in the OW since these pvp circles began than the last six months of the game. so stick to your guns and let the cry babys cry. if your a solo player then you need to go hunt traders and small fish by capitals. stay away from zone. its just that simple. 

Just now, z4ys said:

There are so much ifs. Guess we all want as many people doing patrols when there are ifs people will choose not to go there. Sure its just about dmg but tbh who is satisfied when he/she can say "That was a good day I did some dmg but why I get spanked by big non random grps all the time" Sure you can gather randoms. Randoms are randoms well attuned grps are well attuned grps. There is a reason why moba restict big grps to join the same battle. Its just no fun in the long run.

why should well organized clans be punished for being well organized? the reality is that if you a small group of one or 2 you have to be very careful in what you do and what you do not do. if you don't like that your game play is restricted then grow your clan. take in some newbs and start to train them. but you don't want to mess with that. you want be able to fly around solo and take on everything in the game. and the game just isn't designed for that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

why should well organized clans be punished for being well organized? the reality is that if you a small group of one or 2 you have to be very careful in what you do and what you do not do. if you don't like that your game play is restricted then grow your clan. take in some newbs and start to train them. but you don't want to mess with that. you want be able to fly around solo and take on everything in the game. and the game just isn't designed for that. 

Sure but then dont complain that not more people aka casuals go there.

• Like 3

Just did the Tumbado patrol in an aggy since there's so many big ships (Sorry I'm a part of the problem).

Saw a lone Spaniard in a Bellona, tagged him without even blinking as I'm willing to provide content to others more than I do this to "play to win" (Sorry, Doran).

Had a real friendly chat with the guy while I was winning the dps war. (He told me he was noob and asked if I was pro.)

Then Vazco and friend joined. Vaz is in the clear, they were together and such is the sandbox.

The Spaniard went sour real quick, almost as quickly as I fouled up a move and got boarded (I haven't practised these rather boring big ships, sorry).

I was trying to encourage him in all chat: "Yes, It is unfair... do as much damage as you can for the rewards... no, don't run to the circle, get damage done"

My take-away:

Question first: Do people think they have to bring big and rather expensive ships to the patrol area to get enough damage done? At least I admit to thinking along those lines...

To fulfill the intention of the patrol missions; Do we need to make (some) missions where you can't bring bigger ships than those available cheaply by npc sellers? Think of it as some form of "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures". People are so set in their ganking big ship sandbox ways some force may be needed to free them of their yoke, before they can learn to have fun yet again. I'd frikkin' clear the schedule for those nights and I could even play deliberately badly to teach some non-pro guy that fighting is fun.

Even if it would make those serious-face sandboxers lose their mind; I'd love to go to a matchmaker area, in the OW, mind you.

It would be a fun test to check if we fun-loving idiots really are a teeny-tiny and loudmouth minority. If they're right it would die down with only me, Vazco, tommi(?), Laik, MG, Hachi, rediii(?), bom, vernonM, pala(?),norfolk, joba, archaos, galileus,  Otto, baltic, manuva, z4ys(?), Olav, banished(?),  liq, jon, fellvred, ... *clears throat* joining that terrible form of fun? (Insert your name in the list... "Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name?...")