Game-Labs Forum

Remove Ensign Flags

The variety of Signal Flags in Naval Action is useless.  Make it work better . Introduce a system where we players could chose what we have to set in our masts . All Signal Flags have they use . 

Here you can see all " International maritime signal flags " .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

Discuss 

Edited by CaptainSparckles
Sorry for my bad English!

Every single player should be able to chose before/in the battle what flags he want to set on his masts . The Nation Flag should stay . Of course if my suggestion will be in consideration you developers should make a tutorial about how to use it . It's simple and easy to use . I don't think it will be hard to apply in-game. :D

• Like 1

in battle the flags seems to be decorative  

and have no meaning it seems.

at least i don't see any meaning from the flags shown on other vessels

they are random..

he said anal hur hur. In all seriousness is a unnecessary addition when everyone uses voice comms. Signals were replaced by the radio and in modern Combat are only used during Radio dark operations. There pointless in this game and would be a waste of time to develop mechanics around. Sorry Sparckles

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt Trashal Early said:

he said anal hur hur. In all seriousness is a unnecessary addition when everyone uses voice comms. Signals were replaced by the radio and in modern Combat are only used during Radio dark operations. There pointless in this game and would be a waste of time to develop mechanics around. Sorry Sparckles

Not all use voice teamwork . They are many players what use chat or in-game were signal flags mechanics,  they will use it . I think it will be a good idea .

1 minute ago, CaptainSparckles said:

Not all use voice teamwork . They are many players what use chat or in-game were signal flags mechanics,  they will use it . I think it will be a good idea .

Why would it be a good idea?

It seems like it would be extra controls that retract from playing the game and concentrating on fighting?  Also Chat is there to fill the hole for the people who don't use voice comms so it seems like extra complexity for no benefit.

I like it, even if they don't convey and useful battle knowledge, just to be able to customize your flags would be interesting. Maybe different nations would adopt certain combinations of flags for their clans, or roles in battle like a row of black flags on the front designate that your ship is built for tagging and speed.
Little things like that can go a long way :)

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

33 minutes ago, CaptainSparckles said:

Yeah , clan flags can be a good idea .

But thereis a big problem , how will clans design an own flag ? It will be very ugly . Just imagine penis on flags .

Like every game in the past that allowed it.  They either have to be approved by admins/moderators or they get auto approved and if some one reports them they get inspected and or removed.  We never had a problem with penis on flags on POTBS and you can send in for custom flags or sails.   Many games have clan logo's/flags and it works just fine.  

Hell even let us do it on client side and not have to reinstall ever time. If all clan members can add a mod so they can see the flags of the nation as the clan flag instead that would be great.  It would let you know who on your team/fight is clan mates without looking at the player names above the ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainSparckles said:

The variety of Signal Flags in Naval Action is useless.  Make it work better . Introduce a system where we players could chose what we have to set in our masts . All Signal Flags have they use . 

Here you can see all " International maritime signal flags " .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

Discuss 

For a start the flag system you reference would not have been in use during this time period and many of the meanings are not relevant for age of sail.

This link would give you more info on flag signals relevant at the time. https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf~1799.html

But even then you would be adding an additional complexity to the game that is not required. Not are there only single flag meanings but there are multi flag messages that would require a code book to decipher as there are too many to expect all of them to be remembered. With the speed of the game in relation to reality expecting people to look at flags and decipher them is a bit much, especially when you have voice comms and text available. It sounds good and for people really into the history of this period it may be fun, but I doubt many people would actually use it.

There would be more merit in allowing clans design clan flags which would have to be approved by the Devs before inclusion in the game.