Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 22: Patrol BR limits, Grape fix and Planking mechanics improvements

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

This is the weirdest part of what must be the sandbox mentality(?). Why isn't the bragging rights or fun fighting motivation enough? Would you need extra synthetic motivation to endure PvE hostility grind? Do you need to get something the other guy is denied?

I'm not teasing, it's just that EVERY game I've played has had no other motivation for PvP than bragging rights and fun. I think I get it, but then I don't.

PBs are fun but hostility is cancer.

Also I think a lot of people stop participating if you are losing some fights in a row for a reason I dont understand. We had to stop attacking Cartagena because people wouldnt come anymore.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

PBs have been dead since the introduction of the new victory mark system. They are only a few ports each clan/nation is ready to defend.

As for the BR limit of the patrol zone... it's even less relevant for the night crew as not many players come in big enough group to fight.

There are enough people ready to defend. Its just that noone wants to attack

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

PBs are fun but hostility is cancer.

Also I think a lot of people stop participating if you are losing some fights in a row for a reason I dont understand. We had to stop attacking Cartagena because people wouldnt come anymore.

That Príncipe is called „moral“. You can find it in many games and even in RL-Wars and fights 😝

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

I think a lot of people stop participating if you are losing some fights in a row for a reason I dont understand.

Losing is demotivating in itself, then multiply that with loss. I don't think I have trouble understanding that.

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

Its just that noone wants to attack

Do you agree with Jon that it's caused by PvE hostility grind?

40 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

@admin @Ink  There is a claim in global chat that the cap on bonus for crew resistance is bugged and ZERO crew loss is achievable as a result. I would suggest you look into this matter as soon as possible

People claim many things in chats
Please post NAB report numbers or screens or videos of the issue. 

• Like 1

Just now, jodgi said:

Losing is demotivating in itself, then multiply that with loss. I don't think I have trouble understanding that.

Do you agree with Jon that it's caused by PvE hostility grind?

Moral is a normal thing in NA. The issue was more that too many pve players took/take part in these rvr actions so they get discouraged fast because their motivation is to get the upgrade etc and not the fight or win or impovement itself. These guys didn't enjoy the battles and came only to win. A team of 10 active players can right now do a lot of rvr but there are none of these players left atm. I guess because there is no reason to capture a port anymore except to get a fight. The meaning behind a port is important for players.

I agree and I dont agree. I agree because personally I enjoyed the flagmechanic a lot more when it was not used for fakeflags because it was easy, simple and fast pvp with a lot of OW pvp. I would love to test a flagmechanic with todays roe and br shield together with pvp marks that you get trough the pvp event.

People might not like it because they have to be online to defend and cant just come online for the portbattle or because they could lose sruff when they are not online but I think it adds to the feeling and dynamic of RvR. The best moments in NA in recent months was when we defended against hostility or if we got attacked while doing it in carta. It is just more fun than planning several days ahead. Just get online form a fleet and attack some guys. Was a nice mechanic.

PvE grind now isnt that bad if 10 guys do it.

• Like 3

"Dear forum, today I found out that I am stupid", because I don't understand the patch notes on thickness and grape. Or rather I don't understand all of it.

I get that oblique hits will be more likely to bounce now. What I don't get is the direct hit part. Did all guns have pen buffed? Or did all woods have thickness reduced?

Also, grape. I thought grape had no effect so long as the enemy ship had any kind of armor left on the side you're graping. What's the deal here?

25 minutes ago, admin said:

People claim many things in chats
Please post NAB report numbers or screens or videos of the issue. 

Forgive me for attempting to bring something potentially game breaking to your intention on the off-chance that it may give you an idea of where to look inside your own code for a potential issue. It was very irresponsible of me.

1 minute ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Forgive me for attempting to bring something potentially game breaking to your intention on the off-chance that it may give you an idea of where to look inside your own code for a potential issue. It was very irresponsible of me.

Why would it be gamebreaking? Such a ship is vulnerable to hulldmg,mastdmg, boarding, is slow and expensive

13 minutes ago, rediii said:

Why would it be gamebreaking? Such a ship is vulnerable to hulldmg,mastdmg, boarding, is slow and expensive

At the time I was unaware that the "bug " in question was not actually a bug but an intended function. Nor was I aware of the exact details/methods involved. All I know is that someone in global claimed to have found a bug that enabled them to prevent any crew loss at all but was refusing say what it was or to post the bug on the forums. I did what I felt was the responsible thing to do and that was to bring what information I had to the devs' attention just in case it was something that needed addressing.

But I am glad I was able to provide you with an opportunity to tell me I am wrong about something completely unrelated and to give you a small forum victory. I know they all count.

Edited by NethrosDefectus

Lmao. Just had 3 princes with longs sink my buc with carta and they were also able to tag a buc with only 2 of them. Ouch.

2 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

At the time I was unaware that the "bug " in question was not actually a bug but an intended function. Nor was I aware of the exact details/methods involved. All I know is that someone in global claimed to have found a bug that enabled them to prevent any crew loss at all but was refusing say what it was or to post the bug on the forums. I did what I felt was the responsible thing to do and that was to bring what information I had to the devs' attention just in case it was something that needed addressing.

But I am glad I was able to provide you with an opportunity to tell me I am wrong about something completely unrelated and to give you a small forum victory.

🙄

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

This is the weirdest part of what must be the sandbox mentality(?). Why isn't the bragging rights or fun fighting motivation enough? Would you need extra synthetic motivation to endure PvE hostility grind? Do you need to get something the other guy is denied?

I'm not teasing, it's just that EVERY game I've played has had no other motivation for PvP than bragging rights and fun. I think I get it, but then I don't.

I burned out on the second WoT campaign. You could say too much fighting combined with a stringent fighting schedule, not entirely unlike PB timers. For me it was too much of a good thing and that is not how I understand your comment. 

One thing I like about WWIIOL: you could be losing the map and still have fun because unless you were HC, you just logged in and shot things. You played against yourself (what is my longest kill streak, can I break it?), you played against others (leaderboard that is), you got to kill developers (always nice when the devs play their own game and make themselves stand out so that people can target them), and you still had special events that had massive participation (D-Day event each year, for example). And the uber l33t players were just another avatar across from you, when you saw you killed them you got on global and bragged like no tomorrow, and when the killed you you got on global and cursed their name (in a light-hearted way). To me, it was (still is, although I don't have a sub atm), a wonderfully pure and simple PvP MMO format that offers RvR (and some PvE) without artificially forcing players into any of it.

24 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

You probably don't know the context. The context is this: we get hundreds of messages that someone said something in chat. If we take time to react to every claim we will have to stop working. 90% of chat claims are usually wrong. 

Thats why we responded - get us something more than "someone heard something in chat"

Show us the screen, post a video or NAB numbers. This is a community - we should help each other to save time too.
And stop this sarcasm - leave it for National news.

PS
Fitouts that completely block grape damage actually existed since the introduction of reinforced stern, no-one was using them before. Time to nerf some of the books. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aventador said:

Lmao. Just had 3 princes with longs sink my buc with carta and they were also able to tag a buc with only 2 of them. Ouch.

They could outDPS you? 

6 minutes ago, admin said:

They could outDPS you? 

I couldn't hit them. They were right up against my side. Keep in mind this was after an hour and 20 minute battle of them stern raking me and it only took two of them about 7 minutes to take my side from full to zero and then the remaining three they took down my structure and I sank with 15 seconds left.

Edited by Aventador

5 minutes ago, admin said:

They could outDPS you? 

It is very simple. They can go close the buc hull and stay there.

While they hit you with their cannons, the lower deck of 42pd only can take a few hits or even dont hit at all.

Just now, Intrepido said:

It is very simple. They can go close the buc hull and stay there.

While they hit you with their cannons, the lower deck of 42pd only can take a few hits or even dont hit at all.

Option is to stop and board the little ship

But then again he was probably on lowcrew already

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, admin said:

You probably don't know the context. The context is this: we get hundreds of messages that someone said something in chat. If we take time to react to every claim we will have to stop working. 90% of chat claims are usually wrong. 

Thats why we responded - get us something more than "someone heard something in chat"

Show us the screen, post a video or NAB numbers. This is a community - we should help each other to save time too.
And stop this sarcasm - leave it for National news.

PS
Fitouts that completely block grape damage actually existed since the introduction of reinforced stern, no-one was using them before. Time to nerf some of the books. 

The 100% crew damage reduction works. There isn´t so much to it. You use Iron Knees, Reinforced Stern, Reinforced Bow as permanent upgrades. Then Historique de le marine, The Ground Book and Book of Five Rings. Then you take no damage whatsoever in ship to ship battles. Endless stern rakes, 0 crew loss. Balls or grape.

The 6 items together gives 100% reduction to damage.

• Like 1

Its ridiciulus that small ship like prince can even get close to 2nd, 1st rate, sit on ass and stern rake as long as he wants. Problem lies in turning. Big ships cant turn fast enough to take a broadside.

3 minutes ago, Przemo said:

Its ridiciulus that small ship like prince can even get close to 2nd, 1st rate, sit on ass and stern rake as long as he wants. Problem lies in turning. Big ships cant turn fast enough to take a broadside.

This and that big ships would have marines firing muskets to the deck of the enemy ship if it gets too close.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Przemo said:

Its ridiciulus that small ship like prince can even get close to 2nd, 1st rate, sit on ass and stern rake as long as he wants.

no its not
3 princes cannot do anything to a Bucentaure, buc can even deny the fight against princes if he wants to. Just sail straight at best angle (they then cannot sit on the stern), and if they sail parallel course they will die. 

also several captains in history were able to use deck height difference to their advantage. And muskets did not help much
VLQveeG.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

This and that big ships would have marines firing muskets to the deck of the enemy ship if it gets too close.

200 muskets firing down on an open decked ship tends to end badly for that ship. I think its time for a new game mechanic! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, admin said:

no its not
3 princes cannot do anything to a Bucentaure, buc can even deny the fight against princes if he wants to. Just sail straight at best angle (they sit on the stern yet), and if they sail parallel course they will die. 

You physically cannot hit them if they are right against your side. Which is what happened to me. I'd recommend reverting whatever you did to thickness and tagging because it's really quite ridiculous that 2 6th rates with pea shooters were even able to tag me in the first place and then sink me within 10 mins of sitting right against my side.

Edited by Aventador