Game-Labs Forum

A way to include new players in rvr..

New players of course see and hear about the upcoming pb's and want to join.  Well of course if they aren't an RA, can't sail a 1st rate, haven't been seen around, aren't a member of a friendly clan, didn't marry Hachi's sister, forgot to install ts, whatever (not picking on you Hachi)  Of course they don't get to take part.

The response comes back, oh you can screen, or get a clan and go flip a port...

Well screening is important, though often it can be a real drag waiting... and offers no reward

How do we get the new players 'involved' I imagine for many its a let down to realize you might be able to join in a few weeks once you level up and gain experience etc etc...    

How about screening slots for PB's, you enter the area (perhaps a circle same size as the reinf zone) a popup comes up asking if you wish to join the screening fleet.   So long as you stay in the area (for at least half of the duration of the PB window) or get sunk, you get an 'honorable' mention in the Gazette or whatever.  If a player gets on that list 5 times for the week, they get a reward perhaps a VM or PVP marks at the end of it.

Now to make it a little more interesting an option could be to count the screening battle seperately from the PB.  Example GB attacks a DK Port, GB loses the port battle BUT the GB screeners sink more BR than DK did in the screening battle.  The GB screeners are rewarded but the DK screeners are not.

Only challenge is how to handle players from other nations joining the fight...

I see this potentially generating more pvp.

Just ideas...   

• Like 7

I like this as a general idea - details to be worked out. It would allow people like me, that are not part of any organised group, to get rewards for pitching in and helping their nation.

I do it anyway when I am around but it would be nice to have a chance at a reward.

• Like 5

Everything we do in game should be tied to RvR.

Hit an AI fleet in OW? Contributes to RvR
Hit a Player in OW? Contributes to RvR
(both of these via my proposed national hostility mechanic)

Smuggle goods out of a port? Contributes to RvR
Smuggle goods into a port? Contributes to RvR
PvE Trading? Contributes to RvR
PvP Trading? Contributes to RvR
Crafting? Contributes to RvR.
(By increasing/reducing port morale, thereby making ports harder/easier to flip)

Edited by BPHick
  • Like 7

Hmm another thought crossed my mind...

Why not replace the new pvp patrol missions with PB screening battles.  Instead of having the current patrol zones, have a zone appear at each scheduled PB...  In port create missions for the PB for the nations involved and reward those players for their performance in the zone for a window of time around the pb, perhaps 30 mins before to 30 mins after.

Perhaps this isn't the most newb friendly idea.. but if 'farming' is discouraged in some manner, perhaps by not allowing other nation players to collect rewards for killing players that do belong to the nations invloved in the pb...(inside the zone only, outside everyone is fair game)

This would potentially see more players moving around the OW as well, and open world pvp...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Why not replace the new pvp patrol missions with PB screening battles.  Instead of having the current patrol zones, have a zone appear at each scheduled PB...  In port create missions for the PB for the nations involved and reward those players for their performance in the zone for a window of time around the pb, perhaps 30 mins before to 30 mins after.

Saved me the trouble of typing it out.  :-)

Possibly even expand it further to hostilitymissions?

Edited by Eyesore

Give us a reason to fight over ports...because now that everyone just needs 1 port to have lord protector and get marks, who cares.

Ports need to matter.  We should not be able to craft 5/5 gold ships sitting inside the safety of our capital region.  The crafting regions of the fine woods patch I thought was a very nice touch and made capping ports/regions matter other than to just have a battle.   

Its a sad state of affairs where people would rather lose ports than a 4/5 sturdy gold santi.  Make the ships/mods matter less and easier to craft and make the ports mean something again.  RVR fixed.

Edited by ChristenTrash
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BPHick said:

(By increasing/reducing port moral, thereby making ports harder/easier to flip)

Yes , yes and again: yes! Cant agree more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BPHick said:

(By increasing/reducing port moral, thereby making ports harder/easier to flip)

Perfectly said. For all the talk of realism here the focus of this realism has been on fine-grain stuff ("how many inches of oak would a 12 pound ball penetrate at 200 yards").  There's more to realism than that.  I've been amazed at the focus and concern of the Devs toward driving players toward meaningless PvP.  Nations didn't fund navies to fight without goals.  If a fight doesn't fit within a strategy even a victory is meaningless.  One fights a war towards an end.  The global strategy of the game should drive the events, not "let's sail around in circles and shoot at each other and prove who has the bigger dongle". 

Yours is the first voice I've heard saying this.  (Man the rails, hand salute).

"Strategy without tactics is the long road to victory.  Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat". - Sun Tzu

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SKurj said:

Hmm another thought crossed my mind...

Perhaps this isn't the most newb friendly idea.. but if 'farming' is discouraged in some manner, perhaps by not allowing other nation players to collect rewards for killing players that do belong to the nations invloved in the pb...(inside the zone only, outside everyone is fair game)

This would potentially see more players moving around the OW as well, and open world pvp...

Why not both? Frankly I don't see OW pvp and RVR as the same thing and wouldn't want to have one sacrificed for the other. I think there is room for something like patrol mission on the RVR side, but it should be it's own thing like a conquest mission or something. Lets not play tug of war with different sides of the game :)

I have a solution, how about we add a mission zone for every port, pool those zones together in a list, give that list to clan leaders and officers who can pay and x sum of marks, gold or supplies to pull a clan wide, or sometimes nation wide mission that tells players to go attack a port for rewards. The mission shows up on the map as for example "Conquest Mission: Sponsored by [CLAN]" Defensively you would get the same mission on the map, except it would be for defense.

RVR is already clan focused anyway, this gives clans power to promote RVR type actions and dictate the flow of battle on the map that can be clearly portrayed, not just only to your own clan, but to everyone in your nation and it's a good way to say "Hey, hostile nation, we don't like you and we're going to attack you so you better be willing to defend because we are coming" Which we don't really have that official communication through game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SKurj said:

didn't marry Hachi's sister

I know you don't mean any bad brother but I hope you do know I hate port battles above 3000br, don't like RVR and don't like sailing with people I cannot rely on. If it were up to me I would sail open sea pvp all day long because its more fun and you get way more pvp marks. People ask me to come fight in port battles because I'm a decent player. If I come I try getting as many good players into the battle so you don't have 5 good players carrying 20 others. Most times we get 50% good players but if its 10000 br its gg. New players are welcome to flip a port and try taking it but you will loose most likely. I have offered to show people in fleet practice but they don't need my advice. Clans like ARMED go ahead and recruit non stop and have loads of members yet their officers cannot teach the noobs because even the officers have no idea how to pvp. You see what happens in pvp zones and outside KPR to clans like that. Why should I sail with people like that into a port battle and sink? I don't enjoy loosing battles. I don't go out and sink just to have a good time. Loosing ships costs materials and that is real life hours wasted and not fun. Sailing with people with the wrong attitude never works and you will get to know those kinds of people sooner or later. Ever wonder why EXILE is never at KPR with you all?

If you want to succeed in RVR there are a few rules.

1. You need a proper ship with proper mods

2. You need experience in pvp (10v1 ganking is not pvp) @Gregory Rainsborough has a great rule in RSC. If you don't get 3 pvp kills in the first 2 weeks you're kicked. 

3. You don't do a PB for the port, you go get a good fight with the intention of winning. This way you fleet will become better over time. 

4. If you need a commander that micromanages every ship in bad situation or if players don't understand basic commands like Tack, Wear, Close Hauled, Beam Reach Etc and need a heading you have trash players that are of no use. EVERY captain needs to know how to sail. Do you think Nelson did all the work at Trafalgar? Every captain knew what to do and how to fight, every sailor knew how to manage sail and every gunner knew how to gun his cannon. Nelson did not need to tell every captain how to avoid getting into a bad situation. If Nelson was replaced any other one of those captains that day the brits would have still won because a captain knows how to win battles and the brits were better. I say it all the time. Commander is 10% of the PB fleet. Battles are won by Captains. 

5. You need to come talk to the main RVR players, sail with us, get social with us. In @Hans the Hawks and @Lord Bomgordels you even need to get in touch with their feminine side so they trust you. We don't like sailing with people we don't know. 

6. Don't take offence from us calling you a retard for making mistakes. I will call you out for making a mistake and won't be polite about it and If I don't its a bad sign because you're most likely never sailing with me again. I will be harsh to players like TBA, Liam and Bifttee. They might hate me sometimes but I'm harsh on them because when they hello kitty up I know its because they are better than that. Nothing worse than good players sinking and saying stuff like nobody was in the position to help me..... You're a good player. Don't get into that position in the first place! 

7. If you're in a weaker ship you do not sail next to a ship that has 2 times your armour/ guns and go broadside to broadside. I don't know why I need to tell that to people. 

8. Don't ever undock and do something for the fun of it. Go to win the battle. Winning by circles is not a good way to win. 90% of cases you will all die.

9. Don't ever rage board. If boarding is not done from a perfect position you will loose. Boarding ships with same amount of crew is 50/50 odds. I will not accept those odds. 

10. Last but not least. Players might hate me for this. If @Batman @Trashtoto Kohl @Mr Pellew or myself tell you something we will be right most of the time. If you think you know better come out and duel us please. 1v1 and 10v10 are the same thing mostly. I will take advice and even orders from anyone I sail with but not some random that has no idea what they are talking about. There are a handfull of players that are better than me, none are in the British nation so if you want a better commander ask them to join GB. There are plenty of people that could command better than me but they lack the sailing skill I have. They might give you all the love and stuff you need. Go ahead. I don't because I don't like RVR unless I'm with my guys because I refuse to micromanage and believe it or not I hardly ever use map:ph34r:.

There are 100 more stuff but this is getting long....

I hate RVR. Can't stand the port flipping. I have been lucky enough that DRAKE and RSC don't ask us to come flip but if I had too PB I wouldn't pb. I have been thinking of joining Sweden lately because they lost a few pvpers and It would be great to sail under @trashiiiis command. Less pressure and just shooting stuff and having people you can rely on in battle most of the time. I won't because what does GB have left?  Besides that. I joined GB to fight vs the best. EXILE doesn't sealclub as much as other pvpers and we are proud of the battles vs good players we have had. 

This got a bit off topic mate but you asked for it. BTW I have 3 sisters and if you did marry one of them you would never see a port battle again :P 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, SKurj said:

Well screening is important, though often it can be a real drag waiting... and offers no reward

?

Screening battles, if properly tagged, can give you more PVP marks, than a boring PB, where sometimes really nothing exciting happens.

16 hours ago, SKurj said:

New players of course see and hear about the upcoming pb's and want to join.  Well of course if they aren't an RA, can't sail a 1st rate, haven't been seen around, aren't a member of a friendly clan, didn't marry Hachi's sister, forgot to install ts, whatever (not picking on you Hachi)  Of course they don't get to take part.

The response comes back, oh you can screen, or get a clan and go flip a port...

How do we get the new players 'involved' I imagine for many its a let down to realize you might be able to join in a few weeks once you level up and gain experience etc etc...    

How about screening slots for PB's, you enter the area (perhaps a circle same size as the reinf zone) a popup comes up asking if you wish to join the screening fleet.   So long as you stay in the area (for at least half of the duration of the PB window) or get sunk, you get an 'honorable' mention in the Gazette or whatever.  If a player gets on that list 5 times for the week, they get a reward perhaps a VM or PVP marks at the end of it.

Now to make it a little more interesting an option could be to count the screening battle seperately from the PB.  Example GB attacks a DK Port, GB loses the port battle BUT the GB screeners sink more BR than DK did in the screening battle.  The GB screeners are rewarded but the DK screeners are not.

Only challenge is how to handle players from other nations joining the fight...

I see this potentially generating more pvp.

Just ideas...   

i totally agree with you, that screening is important..it is actually one of THE most important aspects of the game 

but the problem is the devs don't see it that way, they don't play it ,and they never will...( they promised it to do something with it in the future , but they did nothing with it so far)

look at it ,...it is in no way implemented in the game....there are not even rewards for it...just complete darkness on the matter.

they want to keep it simple and keep their eyes away from it,..  this ideas is been generated many times and was spoken for many times as well.(with much feathers, for how to do it)

in the meantime they invent a tumbado missions 1.5 hours sailing from the dutch ., the smartest nonsense the dutch have ever seen.., ask the dutch if they ever done one tumbado mission....? 

and you will hear a complete silence because they ignore it , it's to far away, 

the relevancy is, they don't care about it........both.... and here you see that both sides, (community and the devs) play a different game....

there seems to be a fundamental problem...if you look at ideas ,and the implementation of the different solutions for implementing content to this game (look at log files first..implemented leader and score boards first)

a huge impact on that specific problem is the set up on this game related to the develop time and human resources for developing this game [2 men]

( we need more speed on development and resources, that is way the dev put in his remarks for buying  premium ships , but development needs to take his responsibility also, it is just taking too long for doing it with 2 men , they also need to come up with some solutions)

further more the english speaking  community does not speak russian , spanish ,french, or other baltic, eastern language ,but i sometimes believe there are different cultures trying to influence this game in there own way.

where do these ideas come from...:? 

i believe it is the russian side...

the englisch community can go to hell..      Screening first .tumbado mission second ? (lol)

.or .....whut...promises (boom boom bang bang wot/wows WYSIWYG style)

Here is our problem ! 

Edited by Thonys

15 hours ago, BPHick said:

(By increasing/reducing port morale, thereby making ports harder/easier to flip)

You are right of course.

These sorts of ideas have been talked about over the years and even sort of used to happen way back when....but Devs have moved in a different direction....maybe they will change direction again.

17 hours ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Give them a heavy rattler and do some bs shallow PB?

New players should be learning the game to be honest not jumping into RvR with no clue how to get out of irons or anything else.  Not saying they can't learn, but I think OW fights is better for that than PB's specially with the majority of them being low BR so your very limited on how many can get in and you normally going to want your "A TEAM" not you newbs.

17 hours ago, BPHick said:

Actually it shouldn't.  I spend my first 3-6 months learning the game and avoiding clans and RvR when I popped on. It wasn't unitl I made Master Com and a old friend talked me into joining his clan that I tried RvR.  Even than it was mainly the shallow water PB's not the big ship ones.   Some folks want nothing to do with RvR and it shouldn't be forced upon them if that is what they want in the game.

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

New players should be learning the game to be honest not jumping into RvR with no clue how to get out of irons or anything else.  Not saying they can't learn, but I think OW fights is better for that than PB's specially with the majority of them being low BR so your very limited on how many can get in and you normally going to want your "A TEAM" not you newbs.

OW fights are usually getting curbstomped by much larger/stronger groups, so there isn't much learning opportunity in people treating your boat like a soccer ball.  You usually need some newbies to get full PB "team" anyway, and it's a much more organized environment. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 3:12 PM, Kubrat said:

I like this as a general idea - details to be worked out. It would allow people like me, that are not part of any organised group, to get rewards for pitching in and helping their nation.

I do it anyway when I am around but it would be nice to have a chance at a reward.

It would also allow smaller clans to participate more actively in RvR.