Game-Labs Forum

How to make economy matter in war

Problem

The moment you capture a unique port, eg. Cartagena, alts start to appear in your nation. They end up increasing the price to the one set by a global market, and you don't have any profit from capturing the port.

This is actually good, since if only one nation had access to eg. Cartagena, it would have too high advantage over others. There's a neater solution for this though, which makes economy matter again.

Solution

Clans should be able to set how big percentage of all goods produced in ports can be bought by :

• Clan members
  • Nation members
  • Other nations

In most restrictive settings other nations should still get eg. 25% of goods, and other clans in this nation 25%. In least restrictive settings, it should be free for everyone.

If we have a solution for this, resource wars will start to matter. In the same time it won't break economy of nations which are not doing so well. The most important part though - new players without alts or friends in other nations will not be blocked out of upgrade economy - everyone will be able to sail to any port as a smuggler and set a contract there (it will just fill up slower). 

For this to work tough clans should be able to attack each other ports in the same nation, to have a way to prevent monopolies and unfair treatment. 

@admin

ps. it shouldn't be possible to craft an upgrade in a port it's unique resource was bought in.

• Like 9

ok forget the idea about crafting an upgrade where you bought the mats to transport it safely...

The upgrade chest needs to go, it serves no purpose any more, it allows players to teleport huge wealth around the map with zero risk...  People insist upgrades do not matter, they don't give an advantage, so they won't mind having to move them between outposts.

All sarcasm aside, BOOKs have more value in that they cannot be lost once learned, yet they cannot be teleported between outposts, upgrades do not need to be either.

27 minutes ago, SKurj said:

The upgrade chest needs to go, it serves no purpose any more, it allows players to teleport huge wealth around the map with zero risk...  People insist upgrades do not matter, they don't give an advantage, so they won't mind having to move them between outposts.

Negative.  It's annoying to have to sail things here there and everywhere.  You already have to sail the upgrade components sometimes 1-2 hours just to get them together in the same port to craft the upgrade.  Having to wasting a tow to put an upgrade on a ship would suck.  Sailing an hour or two just to put an upgrade on a ship would suck.  There's already enough hauling resources from multiple ports to your shipyard just to build the ships in the first place.  But a shipyard outpost is full to the rafters with shipbuilding resources, so I have an entire outpost elsewhere just filled with all the different upgrades.  The game might as well be called Caribbean Trucking Simulator 1800.  Don't want to have to waste even more time hauling. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Negative.  It's annoying to have to sail things here there and everywhere.  You already have to sail the upgrade components sometimes 1-2 hours just to get them together in the same port to craft the upgrade.  Having to wasting a tow to put an upgrade on a ship would suck.  Sailing an hour or two just to put an upgrade on a ship would suck.  There's already enough hauling resources from multiple ports to your shipyard just to build the ships in the first place.  But a shipyard outpost is full to the rafters with shipbuilding resources, so I have an entire outpost elsewhere just filled with all the different upgrades.  The game might as well be called Caribbean Trucking Simulator 1800.  Don't want to have to waste even more time hauling. 

Pretty much this. I have been on the brink of quitting forever only because of how much time goes to waste in NA for no good reason. 

I would be ok with dropping the upgrade chest if they added in a AI trader haul. So instead of just teleporting goods around or on the inverse forcing the player to afk sail goods hours around which almost no one actually wants to do. If anyone remembers the free port good transfer, so you would put some goods in a box and it would take time and you would have to pay to move them. Something like that except it would spawn a AI ship with your goods on it and would move it from one of your outposts to another outpost and deposit it into the warehouse once it arrives. I think that would be the best way to satisfy both camps by not forcing players to haul things for hours but also not denying raiders their targets. I think that would also open up some interesting new ways to play the game like raiding/guarding trade convoys.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aster said:

I would be ok with dropping the upgrade chest if they added in a AI trader haul. So instead of just teleporting goods around or on the inverse forcing the player to afk sail goods hours around which almost no one actually wants to do. If anyone remembers the free port good transfer, so you would put some goods in a box and it would take time and you would have to pay to move them. Something like that except it would spawn a AI ship with your goods on it and would move it from one of your outposts to another outpost and deposit it into the warehouse once it arrives. I think that would be the best way to satisfy both camps by not forcing players to haul things for hours but also not denying raiders their targets. I think that would also open up some interesting new ways to play the game like raiding/guarding trade convoys.

This idea is interesting and already came up a couple of times before... the only problem is who in their right mind would send his valuable items off on a AI ship?

Edited by Trash unworthy of the Sea
  • Like 1

He wouldn't, but inversely it prevents you from being forced to sail hours afk while moving ship building supplies for instance. But you could always have your clan send all their AI together and send a couple guys to guard the convoy.

• Like 2

it all comes to the core of the game>  the distribution of the stuff that matters ....

its set up wrong.. (childys thoughts)

every nation should have is own exact counterparts in important mats ..

what we have now is a bacteria for the zerg ( looking at other zerg nations )

for example where cartagena tar is the only product in the entire world available, for ships to have that kind of advantage ...

well, cartagen tar is for cartagena ,but we had our own tar product what was just as good as any other tar product

(we eat eggs  everywhere, the taste might be different but the ingredient is the same)

also another thing:

cartagena tar is not sailed to sweden territory, it's just a port switch... port to port and a grab take out the chest..

very realistic ...is it... 

(if i knew there was a ship sailing with tar i would make myself a pirate to capture that ship ..)

perhaps soon in the far far away future...

ot: war is a national thing , nations can go bankrupt on it look at the price of a port

we will see victims of it...soon...

Edited by Thonys