Game-Labs Forum
Ink

Patch 21: Tiered rewards in patrol missions, redeemable clearance and other changes.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

most paints will be for both

You should keep them for DLC, to support the game.

And I like paints and Im poor, but NA needs the extra cash.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, admin said:

most paints will be for both

As a teaser ya'll should like accidently drop a paint chest in every ones redeemables...or should of did that the day before this patch....lol  It's boring only having the white Bellona and the Endy paint.  Though I do like the Endy paint it's very nice but i don't use that ship yet (grinding slots out on it).

Paints are realy powerfull. A paintchest for pvp marks would be awesome. You can pay for the paint itself but no chest for real money maybe

You can also make a low chance for a paintchest drop at events (epic and sunk fleet)

Maybe even paint chest for victorymarks, it would increase rvr because everyone wants dem paints

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

You should keep them for DLC, to support the game.

And I like paints and Im poor, but NA needs the extra cash.

As long as we can get them in game too through other means like PvP chest rewards.  While I'm back to working, but it's peanuts compared to what I use to make so can't just blow money on stupid things like coke and hookers or paints for ships.

Update on Patrols

What we found is that players in patrol zones prefer to join the bigger side which is underlined by the no-exit fight to the death rule. This results in most battles to end up (25)vs(1-5) players. To solve this we will implement the following feature for testing.

• Patrols will have an individual BR limit - a-la port battle limit.
    • For example: Nassau Patrol: 1200 BR limit
  • Patrol area battle will start as is, if you have 25 players in a pull circle all will be sent to a battle 
  • BUT… once battle starts additional players will only be able join the side that has not exceeded the limit.
  • Thus only weaker side will be able to be reinforced, resulting in more interesting diverse experiences, increasing variability of ships.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Update on Patrols

What we found is that players in patrol zones prefer to join the bigger side which is underlined by the no-exit fight to the death rule. This results in most battles to end up (25)vs(1-5) players. To solve this we will implement the following feature for testing.

• ... 1200 BR limit
  • BUT… once battle starts additional players will only be able join the side that has not exceeded the limit.
  • Thus only weaker side will be able to be reinforced, resulting in more interesting diverse experiences, increasing variability of ships.

I think battles will still look like this 1200BR vs 100BR. The change doesnt solve the issue that people want to join the "winning side" they will just look for an other battle.

When entering the patrol zone without an active grp you have a 3on3 RoE means battles can have at max a 3on3

When entering in grp you can have up to  6on6 fights

When entering with battle grp you can have at max 25v25.

Regarding that you know what you will fight at max

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 4

Just now, admin said:

Update on Patrols

• Patrol area battle will start as is, if you have 25 players in a pull circle all will be sent to a battle 

Are there any plans for more than 1 patrol zone a day? I'm maxed out on outposts, and besides the occasion gank, taking or receiving, and it's difficult to find PVP battles elsewhere on the OW.

1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Are there any plans for more than 1 patrol zone a day? I'm maxed out on outposts, and besides the occasion gank, taking or receiving, and it's difficult to find PVP battles elsewhere on the OW.

more patrol zones will not send players to one spot.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Update on Patrols

You should check the patrol zones because it is always the same locations: Tumbado, Nassau and Hispaniola. Also, usually shallow water patrol is not as popular as deep water one.

And, if really want to encourage pvp even more, make that free towns spawn repairs, make possible to send repairs with tow...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, admin said:

more patrol zones will not send players to one spot.

Yes but not all players can go to every patrol zone. You need an outpost to be in reasonable sail of each zone, and that means you only get 3-4 for everything else which I can put a few around the map, put a few to protect home territory but not both. You have to chose between the two which is a limitation.

I heard suggested once before that you should be able to freely teleport to and from any freetown without requiring an outpost (but to build there you need one).
This would free up a lot of space for players to not need to use precious outpost slots just to participate in the pvp missions.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes but not all players can go to every patrol zone. You need an outpost to be in reasonable sail of each zone, and that means you only get 3-4 for everything else which I can scatter myself around the map with, or get a few buffers in your territory, but not both. You have to chose between the two which is a limitation.

I heard suggested once before that you should be able to freely teleport to and from any freetown without requiring an outpost (but to build there you need one).
This would free up a lot of space for players to not need to use precious outpost slots just to participate in the pvp missions.

You should ask for more outpost slots ;-) With redeemable storage/database getting reworked maybe there is some room for getting more outpost slots^^

Or give daily free option to teleport to closest event zone freetown even its not a player outpost. I bet @Liq would approve that^^

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes but not all players can go to every patrol zone. You need an outpost to be in reasonable sail of each zone, and that means you only get 3-4 for everything else which I can put a few around the map, put a few to protect home territory but not both. You have to chose between the two which is a limitation.

I have suggested a captain travel ticket that would send you with no ship to any Freetown where you can buy a ship and roll out or build outpost and tow in. This would make freetowns shipmarkets very lucrative

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

You don't have to go to every event every day, take the other days where it's not close to you to do other things like OW PvP, PvE, Trade, Pick your nose, pretend you have a life....you know like other things.

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

You should check the patrol zones because it is always the same locations: Tumbado, Nassau and Hispaniola. Also, usually shallow water patrol is not as popular as deep water one.

And, if really want to encourage pvp even more, make that free towns spawn repairs, make possible to send repairs with tow...

Are you can bring your own when the patrol zone isn't there and stock up?   A lot of ports have them but they burn through really fast, though I do think they should bump up the port drop of them for those ports either way.   The issue though with that is folks will just buy them and then repost them for higher price so your better off stocking up and keeping your own supply on hand.

So, is there a reason why we're spending so much effort to try to turn Naval Action into Naval Action Legends?  Doesn't anyone remember how precipitously the game declined the last time we expended all our effort and time on PvP "Events" in a hugely misguided effort to "encourage PvP?"  OW PvP and RvR tanked (which is what we're seeing now) which was accompanied by a die-off in player population (and now we are around -20% in the last 30 days which is an average being driven by basically the last week or so). All we saw were people attacking their alts and trolling the PvP events for paint rewards... 

This will end the same way.

I literally can count on two hands the number of forum members who have called for the return of PvP Events. And the people who wrote those forum posts are exactly the people that essentially like to shoot fish in a barrel, and who seem to be not involved in any other aspect of the game besides PvP.  I won't name names but you know who you are. You are the old-timers, the salty dogs, and the selfish players that refuse to believe that other players can have a diversity of motivations to play the game outside of fair and balanced, PvP pew pew.

I'd call on the admins to take a hard look at the state of the game, the statistics over the next few weeks of unique IP logins, and the numbers of port battles and OW PvP kills outside of Event areas and think about what that means for Naval Action and its ability to live up to its Open World, sandbox, Age of Sail billing. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Are you can bring your own when the patrol zone isn't there and stock up?   A lot of ports have them but they burn through really fast, though I do think they should bump up the port drop of them for those ports either way.   The issue though with that is folks will just buy them and then repost them for higher price so your better off stocking up and keeping your own supply on hand.

While I do that Im not enjoying the game at all.

Because, imo, sailing with a traders brig for 45 mins is not fun, And I will have to do the same each week, several times. No place here for the casual player with these kind of timesinks.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

So, is there a reason why we're spending so much effort to try to turn Naval Action into Naval Action Legends?  Doesn't anyone remember how precipitously the game declined the last time we expended all our effort and time on PvP "Events" in a hugely misguided effort to "encourage PvP?"  OW PvP and RvR tanked (which is what we're seeing now) which was accompanied by a die-off in player population (and now we are around -20% in the last 30 days which is an average being driven by basically the last week or so). All we saw were people attacking their alts and trolling the PvP events for paint rewards... 

This will end the same way.

I literally can count on two hands the number of forum members who have called for the return of PvP Events. And the people who wrote those forum posts are exactly the people that essentially like to shoot fish in a barrel, and who seem to be not involved in any other aspect of the game besides PvP.  I won't name names but you know who you are. You are the old-timers, the salty dogs, and the selfish players that refuse to believe that other players can have a diversity of motivations to play the game outside of fair and balanced, PvP pew pew.

I'd call on the admins to take a hard look at the state of the game, the statistics over the next few weeks of unique IP logins, and the numbers of port battles and OW PvP kills outside of Event areas and think about what that means for Naval Action and its ability to live up to its Open World, sandbox, Age of Sail billing. 

RvR is dying lately because of taxes.

Also some players want instant RvR action, thats why we insisted on the concept of raids.

• Like 1

I have noticed a massive declined in ships encountered in the open world since the introduction of the PvP missions myself and I am sure I am not the only one. I was somewhat interested in seeing if removing names from open world would increase or decrease pvp. Thus far I haven't really seen enough ships to determine either way. 

You could argue that I would find ships if I went to the PvP mission areas but then all I am doing is asking to get into an uneven fight where all tools/tactics I would have for survival/winning are taken away.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, admin said:

Open world UI will hopefully be ready in spring.

Are there plans for a new UI in port? Or is it just the open world interface you are overhauling?

Edited by NethrosDefectus
Terrible grammar and spelling for a native

9 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Sending all players to one spot kind of defeats the purpose of an open world, does it not?

Are you sure?
admiralties or army commands very often sent armies or fleets to one spot. Multiple famous battles happened exactly because armies were sent to one spot.

but you can still hunt other uninterested captains elsewhere. combat oriented captains are ok in being sent to the combat zone.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Are you sure?
admiralties or army commands very often sent armies or fleets to one spot. Multiple famous battles happened exactly because armies were sent to one spot.

but you can still hunt other uninterested captains elsewhere. combat oriented captains are ok in being sent to the combat zone.

Any chance we can send them all to Legends and create a real, dynamic MMO with player-generated content from Naval Action?  It would be nice to dispense with imposed PvP arenas and special RoE-for-Sea-Trials-nostalgics in the Open World. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Any chance we can send them all to Legends and create a real, dynamic MMO with player-generated content from Naval Action?  It would be nice to dispense with imposed PvP arenas and special RoE-for-Sea-Trials-nostalgics in the Open World. :) 

No NAL.

5 hours ago, admin said:

Dear Captains

The goals of NAL were to:

• Remove the open world (with all its negatives)
  • Remove the gear fear (with all its negatives)
  • Remove the unbalanced battles and ganking (with all their negatives)
  • Remove time wasting and hunting 
  • Provide the pure unspoiled experience of pure combat.

10,000 captains tried Naval Action Legends. Approximately 7000 of them got to the second level ship. 6 Captains have reached the Santisima Trinidad. Numbers usually do not lie and despite being a theoretically better game on paper, it did not have player retention compared with Naval Action with all the ganking, sailing, unbalanced fights, and complete lack of UI. It just could not keep players, forcing those who stayed to fight with bots, repeating the situation with the original sea trials. 

As a result, Naval Action Legends idea is temporarily put on hold. 

Several best ideas from the NAL will be brought into Naval Action in the future: specifically tournaments, challenges, the seamanship experience, and officers. Learnings from NAL will be applied to NA; with the main overreaching goal - fill the world with players, remove gear fear, and reward players for action (not only for kills). 

Inexpensive limited feature edition of NA will be introduced in the future that will increase the amount of players in the world, giving the NAL experience of non stop battles against players, in the world filled with players. 

PS. Regarding the new game type that was prototyped. Testing shown that all game types that could keep players would revolve around new content and adding that new content to 2 games is wasteful.

Adrenaline, the feel of the hunt, or being hunted gives a lot more spice to battles and our current plan is basically give this NAL feeling (ability to quickly jump to combat and recover losses quickly) in one game without splitting the audience in two.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Are you sure? (...) Multiple famous battles happened exactly because armies were sent to one spot.

Best ironical post I've read on this forum so far :P

3 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes but not all players can go to every patrol zone. You need an outpost to be in reasonable sail of each zone

In this case you should ask for less patrol zones, not more, don't you think? An outpost in Tumbado and LT (or even just one of those) would be enough for you, without having to build one in Aves, Great Corn, La Mona and Guaraguayare.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Are you sure?

Not sure I like your insinuation, I am very much interested in combat. What I am not interested in however is being forced to fight an uneven fight with the basic tools need to survive, such as slowing the fight down or trying to separate enemies away from each other. Or if I need to run away. 

I fail to believe that the admiralty would've rewarded a captain for deliberately throwing away a ship and the lives of her crew for the sake of doing half a side worth of damage (which in the real world would equate to cosmetic damage of most) to a couple of ships in a six+ fleet before being sunk. Not when that captain could've saved both the ship and the crew to fight another day.

All your system is doing is encouraging ganks, what you have is people going out in a large group, outfitting their ships as tanks that can repair around 40% of their hull each time and attacking smaller and easier targets. So tell me, what is the logic in me going to those zones under those circumstances? I remember you saying that it'll be fine because other people will join on your side, however that is not the mentality of your average player. They will instead join the side that gives them the better chance of leeching some easy marks as seen many times.

• Like 2