Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LAVA

Total War Arena

I downloaded the game Total War Arena as it is in Open Beta and thought I would make a couple videos on how the game works. The first video covers the interface which is rather complicated not unlike other Wargaming.net games such as World of Tanks and a second video to show a PVE battle, end screens, rewards and stats. I call the videos "what the heck is going on" as they are meant to be informative and not judgemental. It is a free to play game so I'll leave that up to ya'll to decide if your first impression is positive or negative; although personally, I like it.

Sorry for the mistake.

Could you move it to the proper forum?

Fought my first PvP battle this evening so I thought I would record it. It is only a Tier 2 game, but you see a lot more organization and team play going on here which is absent in the PvE games.

I take Alexander into Tier 3 and in this video I fight with my hoplites (a base cap) and then my Theban cavalry have a really good game. Alexander has 2 nice abilities... charge and anvil. The anvil holds enemy troops in place and prevents them from escaping. At tier 5 I get a wedge formation which will be quite useful for my cavalry.

I plan to continue up both the hoplite and cavalry tech trees for Alexander and am now almost tier 4.

Having fun with Barbarian Melee Cavalry lately. I'm a real cavalry fan and am trying to grind up the various generals to a level which allows me to use cavalry. The Barbarians, of course, start right from Tier 1 with cavalry and unlike Alexander their cavalry is melee as opposed to spear cavalry. Melee cavalry is far more forgiving as you can, at least up to this point (tier 3), run them around in a blob, while spear cavalry needs to operate in separate formations so they can get the most out of their charges.

The video shows 3 games I played (one loss and 2 victories) and uses the replay feature of Total War Arena. This is a real nice feature which allows you to review the game and see where you can better your play.

2 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

@LAVA Is this a F2P game?

Yep,

Like all wargaming.net games such as World of Tanks you can use real money to buy stuff like premium time (+50% on unit XP, FXP and silver), to "open" new generals though you can do that as well with the free experience points (FXP) you earn during battle which doesn't cost any money and finally you can buy "premium units" which earn more of all the currencies and do not cost in battle maintenance.

The big difference here is that in World of Warships, for example, at some point you have to buy "port slots" or in World of Tanks "a garage" for a new tank with money. In this game you can go up in tiers to higher level units without having to spend a penny. It seemed like a fun game so I spent a bit of money and bought 30 days of Premium Time and enough gold to buy a couple Premium Units, but you don't have to.

So yep, you can play this game completely free if you want. It will just take you longer to "tier up" and open new generals to play.

I explained how all this works in my first video "What the heck is going on - Part 1."

• Like 1

Got the Tier IV Premium Roman Auxiliary Cavalry on sale this last weekend and though I struggled a bit with them at first, finally got a good game in.

Here it is:

While you have to try to destroy the enemy's cavalry, staying close to the battle and helping your army pays great dividends.

Another video of me playing my Tier IV Roman Auxiliary Cavalry. I'm still struggling a bit to come to grips with the game play and the proper use of formations and timing of charges. The audio is a bit poor at the start but smooths out quickly although it is overall a bit low.

Having a great time playing the game, though of course, it is a bit frustrating when you do poorly as you move up the learning curve.