Game-Labs Forum

With the new patch 19 ideas!

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Its a game - there should and will be some abstractions
tagging circle is 20km - you can only see a top gallant of a first ship from 20km. 

Exactly this is a game, name one game that hides the player names, rank and class of char in PvP zones from other players?   Even EVE you can see the ship and player name unless they are stealth and even contact said player before engaging in a fight if you want to or of course try to run.   Your going off in to the hard core elite side of the game again which is only a small percentage of the player base. 

Though I did find out one thing I like about the fact there are no names and such.  One can not tell what ship is part of the screen fleet or PB fleet as you can't find the known players/clans that will be going to the port battle.  SO you have to try to tag every thing in which also can be a very bad thing too.

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Exactly this is a game, name one game that hides the player names, rank and class of char in PvP zones from other players?   Even EVE you can see the ship and player name unless they are stealth and even contact said player before engaging in a fight if you want to or of course try to run.   Your going off in to the hard core elite side of the game again which is only a small percentage of the player base. 

Il 2 battle of stalingrad has no names on enemy planes but you can chat with both sides in global ;-)

Though I did find out one thing I like about the fact there are no names and such.  One can not tell what ship is part of the screen fleet or PB fleet as you can't find the known players/clans that will be going to the port battle.  SO you have to try to tag every thing in which also can be a very bad thing too.

So you are just asking for an easymode? What you discirbe here is acutally a pro and not a contra

Edited by z4ys

14 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Il 2 battle of stalingrad has no names on enemy planes but you can chat with both sides in global ;-)

So you are just asking for an easymode? What you discirbe here is acutally a pro and not a contra

Is that an MMO?   Sorry should of said name one MMO that does so?  A flight sim game  isn't exactly the same.  This isn't a sailing simulator.  You can also identify your planes easily  in game right?

No I"m asking for causal mode...you want hardcore mode than ask for an option to take all that stuff out.  We remember what happend the last time we went hard mode on the game.  We lost players cause the other 99% of the players didn't want to play hard mode.

• Like 1

It's weird how these old "attack everyone" privateers here posting about no ship names and more "immersive" game play very rarely pop up on combat news with kills.  Funny that.  As with the removal of ship coordinates, hardcore grinding and even more hardcore ship knowledge tree, often suggestions by these veteran players who feel like they need to relive their first months in naval action and all it's immersive newness.....just seem to affect the casual player base and keep diminishing it further.  A player base that is is sorely needed and makes up the bread and butter of MMO style games.  More often than not these players suggest hardcore features of the game, enjoy them for a time and then piss off to other games while still suggesting further inane ideas that further remove ever slimming category of features this game has that fall under "quality of life" perks.  Honestly it gets old.  The removal of ship names isn't a huge change, but it's a change that only benefits a small amount of veteran PVPers who didn't really give a shit who they were attacking anyway.  rediii and his gangbang fleet of swedes that have been roaming the PVP patrol zones en masse this past week are going to attack that one pirate or prussian regardless of whether or not they can see his name.  

I find the removal of something as trivial as the names of ships as another kowtow of the admin catering to this small base of PVPers that have been trying to steer this games development into a game they want to play rather than a game that will continue to grow and most importantly, add new players.  Removing quality of life features, regardless of how big or small, only really hurts the casual player base.  A base this game seems to constantly be losing.  

A quick glance at the negative reviews will tell you that most new players find this game difficult to pick up, find a very steep learning curve, it's UI lacks intuitiveness and the game lacks basic quality of life features that are found in most MMOs.  For some reason all that negative feedback is dismissed as being "haters' and we just keep steaming on with development that plows forward in a direction that most players who have purchased the game.....don't care for.  Removing ship names is just another brick in a ever growing wall that new players need to hurdle in order to acclimate to this game.  but ya know what, screw the haters right.

Personally I've enjoyed the game less since the removal of ship names.  I like sailing around and selectively solo hunting.  I like to know who I'm sailing towards and I like them to know who is sailing towards them.  I like to o7 a friendly or cordial face I see on the water and then decide to not tag them or run into a dude I haven't talked to in a year.  I don't like to attack everything and everyone, I don't like sinking new players.  Maybe I'm out there to just sink a certain brit clan I dislike while letting other clans go.  I like having that option.  Now it's been taken away from me because all these "hardcore" pvpers think it makes the game more immersive, despite most of them are only hardcore on the forums it seems.  Most of the players I talk to hate the change.  Unfortunately most of them are not active enough on the forums to get their voices heard.  

If a perk was created that allowed players to see names and enhanced ship stats on the water I bet 99% of the players in the game would use it.  Why not give us a choice?  Hardcore players can make theirs and the rest of us can keep on playing how we want.  Call it Sailing Master or something.  

Edited by ChristenTrash
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Is that an MMO?   Sorry should of said name one MMO that does so? 

*cough cough* WW2 Online ? Oh wait sorry... that's not a mmo... or is it ?...Is a 24/7/365 wasteland arma3 server a 254 slot mmo ? is a dynamic war il2 server not a mmo ? bloody hell, it has more depth in its simulator and support wargame with supply lines and pilot perma deaths than some of you mmo guys ever wanted for this, so let's cut the sleeves and be honest at least once or twice.

The ship names in the OW... It is a test. And not everyone likes this or that change. Do not confuse liking unconditionally with supporting further testing.

Want no names, want names, sure, whatever. As long as more people fight and not always the same guys over and over and over again :)

Is the change goood in that respect to bring the average fellows out to fight ? Rests to be seen and statistics are usually more factual than your street word.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

*cough cough* WW2 Online ? Oh wait sorry... that's not a mmo... or is it ?...Is a 24/7/365  wasteland arma3 server a 254 slot mmo ? is a dynamic war il2 server not a mmo ? bloody hell, it has more depth in its simulator and support wargame with supply lines and pilot perma deaths than some of you mmo guys ever wanted for this, so let's cut the sleeves and be honest at least once or twice.

The ship names in the OW... It is a test. And not everyone likes this or that change. Do not confuse liking unconditionally with supporting further testing.

Want no names, want names, sure, whatever. As long as more people fight and not always the same guys over and over and over again :)

Is the change goood in that respect to bring the average fellows out to fight ? Rests to be seen and statistics are usually more factual than your street word.

Not an MMO, that is another arena base game.  So far both games listed you don't loose anything it's just cycle and repeat combat.   That is fine hiding players names when there is no cost for your actions in a fight where you die you just make a new char, gather gear and jump back into the action.  This isn't PUBG after all.

As for PVP going up that prob has a lot to do with the PvP events more than names or no names.  Specially the shallow one where it's cheap.  Though I get a feeling the numbers in those events is starting to wear thin by the day as it looses it's shine and turns more into just a gank fest.  Hopefully new ROE mechanics helps with that.

23 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That's how it should be, just the fact that the excuse is "but I like talking to my enemies" is enough to prove it. You can talk to your enemy all you want when you engage them in battle, or friend them.

Can't add friends from a different nation.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

You have added your own definition to MMO. 

Still not the same types of games.  This is an MMO that has char progression and ranks.  THose games don't.  They would be better compared to CoD or even NAL.  You die in them you make a new char, gather gear and than die and start over again.  You don't do that in this game.  ANy other MMO that has char progressions I have never seen them hide the Rank, Player name and class of the other factions/team from you.  Yes you won't know the exact build of the char, but you know those main facts.  In those games listed other than maybe gun you currently pick up every one has the same stats.

This game is more like any of the Perfect World MMO's, SWTO, GW's....I can go on and on other other char progression games and they all show you those details when you PvP or even meet other players in PvE zones.  You can't compare an arena death match game to something that is more an open world sandbox with char progressions.  

10 hours ago, z4ys said:

Yep thats the reason i hear most why this feature is not welcome by old players. The fear of fighting someone equal. But hey its a combat game you either engage or you stay a coward and always run away. Courge is rewarded with battles and soon with other stuff even you lose.

All this cross nation interaction is killing the game. Friends everywere - no one to fight - boredom. Change it engage show courage!

There is NA:L if you don't want the RP/Diplomat part of the game.  Again it's an open world sandbox with multi nations, if folks want to RP and have friends in other clans or nations they can do that.  If you don't want to do that than kill any one you see.  I have no problem fighting fights, but I also hear complaints of folks that don't want to fight cause they have no clue what they are facing.  We just started to get the US courage to come out and fight, you know how we are doing that?  By getting them to attack ports and actually teach them proper builds.  It's bad enough ya'll camp the newbies along the US coast, but it's hard to get them encouraged to come out and fight when all they do is get slaughtered by the vets.

Sounds more like the wolves want to hide the fact they are wolfs so they can slaughter more ship.

• Like 2

So just because other games don't hide the player names, NA shouldn't? If we held that belief to other games, there would be absolutely no innovation.

17 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

but I also hear complaints of folks that don't want to fight cause they have no clue what they are facing

That is the absolute wrong mentality that some people have. If people refuse to fight others because "they are good" they are doing themselves a disservice. The only way to learn is to challenge yourself. You have to learn how to sink to get better at sinking others.

You say that the "wolves" don't want others to see they are "wolves," but you are saying that "sheep" are afraid someone may be a "wolf" and not simply a bigger "sheep."

Not showing names/clans is better for the game. It forces players to push their comfort zone. It forces player to make a conscious decision to attack.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I'm sorry if I came across as patronizing, it wasn't my intention. Trust me, I am not the best, nor do I even remotely believe it. My post was written reflecting back on some personal experiences I have growing up playing sports and in the end losing it all. I'm a person who always wants to better myself, and I just like to help push people as well. It's a fault of my own, and sometimes it gets the better of me.

I think no matter what, NA will always be somewhat of a niche game. The game has a fundamental problem that no matter what, will never go away. It takes a long time to play. Travelling between two ports by each other can take 5-10 minutes with bad wind. A battle can go an hour and a half, then you probably will get re-tagged again by a revenge fleet or by the same group. This game will not appeal that get 30 minutes of playtime a night. There are plenty of other games that are better suited for that audience. The casual players that will stick around for NA are the ones who are fans of the genre.

When it comes to hiding the names, some people go, 'oh, its Wraith, hes good, im going to run' or 'oh, its westgate, hes a noob.' The reason I think hiding names is better is that it removes that decision making process and every attack has a little bit of risk and excitement.

I truly don't know if there is a perfect way to balance between the casual players and and salty dogs. I hope there is. This genre of games has long been forgotten and is deserving of a great game. I hope Naval Action is that game.

Once again, sorry that I came across as an ass.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

There is NA:L if you don't want the RP/Diplomat part of the game.  Again it's an open world sandbox with multi nations, if folks want to RP and have friends in other clans or nations they can do that.  If you don't want to do that than kill any one you see.  I have no problem fighting fights, but I also hear complaints of folks that don't want to fight cause they have no clue what they are facing.  We just started to get the US courage to come out and fight, you know how we are doing that?  By getting them to attack ports and actually teach them proper builds.  It's bad enough ya'll camp the newbies along the US coast, but it's hard to get them encouraged to come out and fight when all they do is get slaughtered by the vets.

Sounds more like the wolves want to hide the fact they are wolfs so they can slaughter more ship.

All the info you need to know  “what your facing “is at your disposal the only thing that isn’t is “who”.

That brings excitement and risk , both of which are more entertaining than writing o7 . There’s a lot of “ I hear folks” and  “ most of the people” well I talk to folks too, most of those prefer no names by far.

Edited by Tac
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, admin said:

yep good points from a to z. No need to tell that it is a 5th rate as you can see it is a 5th rate. 
Also no need to tell players enemy ship BR 

Fleets if travelling in a line keeping station 1km away from the lead ships would be invisible as enemy would only see a top sail of a first ship.

Promise me you will never give in to the people that complain about names. Now I can attack someone I know and once I'm in battle I might as well kill him. Less grouping up and Seal clubbing and more salt :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Still not the same types of games.  This is an MMO that has char progression and ranks.  THose games don't.  They would be better compared to CoD or even NAL.  You die in them you make a new char, gather gear and than die and start over again.  You don't do that in this game.  ANy other MMO that has char progressions I have never seen them hide the Rank, Player name and class of the other factions/team from you.  Yes you won't know the exact build of the char, but you know those main facts.  In those games listed other than maybe gun you currently pick up every one has the same stats.

This game is more like any of the Perfect World MMO's, SWTO, GW's....I can go on and on other other char progression games and they all show you those details when you PvP or even meet other players in PvE zones.  You can't compare an arena death match game to something that is more an open world sandbox with char progressions.  

Again you ignore the only MMO posted ( funny that it plays with no instances - full 1:1 timescale ) that hides the names/ranks except when at engagement range.

Oh... oh.... NA does show the names and ranks at engagement range :o ... wat da... *ouch*

Let's get over it and move forward.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Let's not, because this is important. I feel like most of the players, a vocal minority, who are in support of this are not listening or taking into consideration the effect of these changes on new and less hardcore, PvP-oriented players. 

The people who are in support are blind to the problems in its implementation and selfish because it suits their play style. It's painful to see more and more players trying to get a grip on all that the game has to offer giving up because they have their time wasted and bare minimum of quality of life features that would be called for in any MMO, and would also be period and setting appropriate (e.g. flags, signals, etc.).

I don’t understand because I’m blind, so explain it to a blind man the factual basis for your “vocal minority”. What numbers are you using to prove a minority on?

• Like 3

@Wraith

Like good buddies meeting each other in a game in opposite sides, without even knowing, and having a laugh while they try to "shoot each other down". Anything wrong if that happens because there's no names ?

What's different ? Can't measure chances before engaging ? Who cares ! Newcomers have no godamn idea - bless them - who the players are. And honestly they have the best slice of the cake. We are sadly educated in a ton of forum trash - yes, pun intended given the juvenile trolling - of whom we do or not want to play with.

Newcomers, average players are, gladly immune to that. But onwards to the comfort talk you pull with ... names showing or not...

Just to put it in perspective, EVE with its massive LOSS potential or WW2OL with its factual bragging rights of winning wars, and LOSS of wars, not just word in a forum. No look to NA, a spectuacular never stopping combat game in the age of sail. Everyone gets a ship anywhere fast to go to combat. To engage in naval action without delays. That's all that matters. That's how comfortable we have it. And you still claim a specific name in the OW makes or breaks it ? By neptune's beard sir, I embrace this new age of comfort.

We never had it better. Outposts. Production buildings. Teleports. Ships in a bottle. Admiralty handouts. No need to produce anything anymore. No need to engage enemy nations in earnest. No loss involved, truly. Just pure fun in the open world of naval action.

oh my oh my... give me the names

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Let's not, because this is important. I feel like most of the players, a vocal minority, who are in support of this are not listening or taking into consideration the effect of these changes on new and less hardcore, PvP-oriented players. 

The people who are in support are blind to the problems in its implementation and selfish because it suits their play style....

How does it suit me? I cant attack noobs only and avoid pros anymore:( But i still support it because we see what new players see. A world full of targets and friends within my nation.

45 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

@Wraith

Like good buddies meeting each other in a game in opposite sides, without even knowing, and having a laugh while they try to "shoot each other down". Anything wrong if that happens because there's no names ?

Like when good buddies are trying to work together on opposite sides, with planning, and having a laugh while they help each other out in OW.... This isnt possible because of the removal of names, it actually makes this entirely exploitable.

We never had it better. Outposts. Production buildings. Teleports. Ships in a bottle. Admiralty handouts. No need to produce anything anymore. No need to engage enemy nations in earnest. No loss involved, truly. Just pure fun in the open world of naval action.

oh my oh my... give me the names

Yeah never better... we finally have gameplay loops and things built in that make it a game instead of a job. 

just to put it in perspective, EVE with its massive LOSS potential or WW2OL with its factual bragging rights of winning wars, and LOSS of wars, not just word in a forum. No look to NA, a spectuacular never stopping combat game in the age of sail. Everyone gets a ship anywhere fast to go to combat. To engage in naval action without delays. That's all that matters. That's how comfortable we have it. And you still claim a specific name in the OW makes or breaks it ? By neptune's beard sir, I embrace this new age of comfort.

Loss? Whats that... this is a video game that's why we play it THERE IS NO LOSS. The actions, the "content" and THE PEOPLE make the game, with the removal of names it removes the ability for nations to properly work together.

This change was made out of spite and we all know it. If I go into any more details I might be banned...

Edited by koiz
  • Like 1

Just now, koiz said:

Like when good buddies are trying to work together on opposite sides, with planning, and having a laugh while they help each other out in OW.... This isnt possible because of the removal of names, it actually makes this entirely exploitable.

Most of the time that leads to exploits and cheesy behavior because the game currently doesn't support multi sided fights.

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Most of the time that leads to exploits and cheesy behavior because the game currently doesn't support multi sided fights.

We have factions within every nation and we all know alts can be abused more than they could before with the removal of names. You fighting for no names makes no sense if you yourself hate cheesy exploits. 

Oh and its called a join circle, you pick a side and you join it... do you play the game?

Edited by koiz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, koiz said:

The removal of names removed the sense of community. They should come back.

Frankly I'd prefer names stay obscured until the end of the battle as well.   I prefer the mystery, and fighting as flag vs flag.  I don't load up the game to hang out.   

• Like 1